11/29/2015 9:28PM

Stormy Lucy scores huge upset victory in Grade 1 Matriarch

Benoit Photo
Stormy Lucy wins the Matriarch Stakes by a head Sunday at Del Mar.

DEL MAR, Calif. – Ed Moger Jr. sent out his first winner in 1976, and when he woke up Sunday morning, he had amassed 1,605 victories during a nearly 40-year training career. None, though, was in a Grade 1 race.

By the time he went to sleep Sunday night, that had changed.

His mare Stormy Lucy, 6, owned by younger brother Steve, got the Grade 1 win Moger had long desired for both himself and for Stormy Lucy with a stunning 65-1 upset in the $302,250 Matriarch Stakes, highlight of the closing-day card at Del Mar.

Stormy Lucy ($132.80) was the second-longest shot in the 14-horse field of older female turf runners. She rallied from midpack through the final half-mile of the one-mile grass race and just did get up to beat Recepta by a head. Filimbi, the 5-2 favorite, was another 1 1/2 lengths back in third.

Queen of the Sand was fourth and was followed in order by Gender Agenda, Prize Exhibit, Stellar Path, She’s Not Here, Hard Not to Like, Chati’s On Top, Crowley’s Law, Olorda, Curlin’s Fox, and Baruta.

It was a roughly run race. Hard Not to Like went to her face right at the start with a wicked stumble that eliminated her, Filimbi was caught in traffic for much of the far turn, and several runners were compromised nearing the top of the lane when She’s Not Here bore out in traffic.

Stormy Lucy, deftly guided by Kent Desormeaux, got a clean trip and covered one mile on firm turf in 1:35.16. The win was her eighth in 31 starts, her first in five races this year, and her first in six races lifetime on Del Mar’s turf. And had things gone as originally planned, she might not have even been in this race.

The Mogers pre-entered Stormy Lucy in the Breeders’ Cup Filly and Mare Turf with the intention of running her at Keeneland and then selling her as a broodmare prospect. But when Stormy Lucy was placed well down the also-eligible list, she was kept in California. She ran at Del Mar on Nov. 1 in the Goldikova and finished fifth of six.

“[Had she gone to Kentucky,] she might have run up the track, and then we’d have put her in the sale,” said Moger. “We’ve been trying to get a Grade 1 with her for awhile.”

Stormy Lucy had finished third in the Grade 1 Rodeo Drive in September at Santa Anita, and she was fourth in the Grade 1 Gamely in 2014, also at Santa Anita. She had won Grade 2 and Grade 3 stakes but not a Grade 1.

Stormy Lucy, a daughter of Stormy Atlantic, earned a first prize of $180,000. Her value as a broodmare, though, increased significantly with the Grade 1 win now on her ledger.

It was important for Moger, too.

“I’ve been waiting a long time, 40 years,” he said.

JayRow63 More than 1 year ago
Congratulations to Ed Moger Jr, his brother Steve and Stormy Lucy on a job well done. Kent Desormeaux found a way from the 10 hole to get her out and covered up which seemed to be the recipe for success for this hard trying mare. It's tough to find that trip in So Cal with smaller fields and a turf course that always favors speed in the summer months. Always great to see another brilliant trainer whose roots go back to the now defunct Longacres, step up to win a Grade 1 at Del Mar. I started playing horses at LGA about the same time Ed saddled his first winner. This win couldn't have been any sweeter for the connections or this long time fan of racing as Lucy stamped my ticket to NHC 17.
Jack Bogorta More than 1 year ago
DESORMEAUX HAS WON A GRADE 1 AND A HIGH $$$ STAKE RACE AT HUGE PRICE IN THE PAST 2 YEARS IMAGINE INVESTMENT $4.00 WILL RETURN U MORE THAN $250.00..
Kenny Cohen More than 1 year ago
i only bet turf races Ky NY and Florida all seem to run true to form Class and pace rule BUt calif turf races the horses dont run true to form and anyone can win How could Stormy Lucy beat that talented field. The cALIf turf is like hard as a highway
Ray Kielsmeier More than 1 year ago
I also bet only turf races. On top of this fantastic win $6 ticket x $923.90 = $5543.40 I had Professor Berns @ 42/1. $6 ticket x $182.40 = $1093. And Salsita @ 41/1 in March as a $272.80 x $6 ticket =$1637 as my 3 biggest exacta's for 2015. Only down side is I only had $6 tickets on the "big 3".
Melanie Thompson More than 1 year ago
Ive always been a fan of this mare. Mostly because of the name. I have a crazy lab named Lucy. Usually put money on Lucy (the horse) not this time. Happy for the connections all around!
Ray Kielsmeier More than 1 year ago
She made my year!  Great job by Kent.  I keyed her to be second in her next and made more with each of those exacta's.  But not close the $5543.40 of 11/29/15 for my $6 exacta box.  I've got custom framed picture of the finish and head on with the chart below
Frank Parente More than 1 year ago
Congrats Ed, well deserved!
Eric Singer More than 1 year ago
one interesting thing to note - previously this horse has always excelled at longer trips. hats off to Ed and to Kent - that was a sweet ride
Ray Sousa More than 1 year ago
Just another day at the office. Welcome to horse racing in the 21 St century.
BrownRiggle More than 1 year ago
Just curious to know if any of the beyer-ians had this horse?
jasonthejman More than 1 year ago
No one had this horse, hence 65-1.
Ray Kielsmeier More than 1 year ago
I did!  Biggest number ever 1st or 2nd in any exacta ever for me!  Exacta bettor since 1/17/78.  A $6 box of the 3-10-14 paid $5543.40!  $923.90 per dollar.  That was my whole bet minutes after showing my girlfriend the picture in the hallway of Whittingham's Factfinder winning the 85' Matriarch over Gosden's Tamarida 17/1 & 14/1 for a $939.50 exacta and $7140 for my $38 ticket>  Whittingham's Estrapode was 3/5 finishing 4th and raising that exacta from $600 something to an amazing $939.50.  Now 30 years later I have Stormy Lucy's picture on the wall for the same race!  In March I had Solsito @ 41/1.  In November Professor Burns @ 42/1.  Then Stormy Lucy.  All big exacta's.  But being retired I had $6 tickets on'm.  First time I've ever 3 winners at such odds!
P&M More than 1 year ago
Ed Moger is a great hard working guy, nice to see how David slew the giants in this race! Wish I could say I put some cash on him but even I did not believe he could do it in this spot! I have to give credit to Desormeaux on a masterful ride!