10/24/2013 1:32PM

Steven Crist: Breeders' Cup, by the numbers

Before we start whittling and judging and deciding who should or shouldn’t win the Breeders’ Cup races Nov. 1 and 2, let’s take a moment to look at the forest instead of the trees and consider the entire assembly of the 172 racehorses who have been pre-entered for the 14 races:

The 172 pre-entrants have combined to win 806 races from 2,071 starts and earn $122.7 million, an average per entrant of 4.6 wins from 12 starts and earnings of $713,654. (You can find summary stats for all pre-entrants, from which these numbers were drawn, on my blog.)

There are 114 males, including 29 geldings, and 58 fillies or mares. They include 53 2-year-olds, 27 3-year-olds, 49 4-year-olds, 26 5-year-olds, 13 6-year-olds, three 7-year-olds (Flat Out, Hymn Book, and Jeranimo) and one 8-year-old (Pool Play).

Pool Play leads all pre-entrants with 40 career starts, and Jeranimo is next with 37. Three of the top four in career starts are Marathon entrants: Pool Play, Indian Jones (34 starts), and Commander (32 starts).

There are 35 millionaires, including 10 with over $2 million, seven with over $3 million and four with over $4 million: Game On Dude ($5.60 million), Wise Dan ($5.19 million), Royal Delta ($4.69 million) and Fort Larned ($4.17 million). Of the 10 with over $2 million in earnings, six are running in the Classic: Game On Dude, Fort Larned, Planteur ($3.51 million), Flat Out ($3.19 million), Ron the Greek ($2.70 million), and Mucho Macho Man ($2.59 million).

[MORE: Steven Crist's Breeders' Cup pre-entries cheat sheet]

Quantity and quality rarely match up this neatly, but the two leading earners are also the leaders in career victories (as well as the leading candidates for Horse of the Year). Wise Dan (18 victories) and Game On Dude (15) have won the most races, followed by Starship Truffles (Filly & Mare Sprint) with 14, Little Mike with 13, and Commander (Marathon) and Royal Delta with a dozen apiece. Fifteen horses in all have won 10 or more races. At the other end of the spectrum, there are three maidens in the juvenile races and 17 one-win 2-year-olds.

There are 121 group or graded stakes winners in the entries, including 71 winners of Group 1 or Grade 1 races. The Classic has 11 Grade 1 winners (everyone except Last Gunfighter and Moreno), the Filly & Mare Turf has nine, the Turf has eight, and the Dirt Mile and Filly & Mare Sprint each have seven.

Of the 172 pre-entrants, 136 (79 percent) were bred in the United States, with 36 bred outside the country. Of the 136 bred in the U.S., 102 (74 percent) were bred in Kentucky, 15 in Florida, 8 in California, three each in New York and Pennsylvania, two in Virginia, and one each in Louisiana, Maryland, and West Virginia. Of New York interest: Artemis Agrotera (Juvenile Fillies), London Bridge (Marathon), and The Lumber Guy (Sprint) will be trying to snap a 0-for-50 record by New York-breds in Breeders’ Cup history.

The 36 foreign-breds hail from Ireland (13), Great Britain (9), Canada (6), France (4), Argentina (2), and Brazil (2). Of the 26 European-breds, 25 are running in grass races, with only Planteur (Classic) trying the dirt.

The 172 entrants were sired by 118 different stallions. It only seems like Kitten’s Joy sired half of them. Actually, Kitten’s Joy and Tapit have six apiece, followed by Empire Maker, Ghostzapper, Smarty Jones, Speightstown, and War Front with four each, then Broken Vow, Dansili, English Channel, Harlan’s Holiday, and Unbridled’s Song with three each. Another 20 stallions have two entrants each, and 86 stallions have a single runner.

Eleven trainers have a combined 70 entrants, led by Chad Brown with 11 (five of them Kitten’s Joys.) Next come Todd Pletcher and Doug O’Neill with nine pre-entrants apiece, Bob Baffert with eight, and a quartet with five each: D. Wayne Lukas, Bill Mott, Aidan O’Brien, and Dale Romans. Mark Casse, Richard Mandella, and Kiaran McLaughlin each have four.

It’s quite an entourage of horseflesh. It almost seems a shame that 158 of the 172 have to lose, but that’s horse racing.

RX More than 1 year ago
maybe if they lowered their prices they would get more business.
anthony f More than 1 year ago
how about an honest racetrack,
Sam Shelby More than 1 year ago
Moreno keeps running well, but keeps going off at long odds. Hmmmmm? Possible ca-ching?
Got my advance BC program yesterrday for $7. It works for me just for ease of getting all the info I need and not having to chase it down. After years of lugging the big form, I will miss my big bundle of papers. Bigger can be better. Since I don't get to vote on it , oh well. Like the weather at SA, but the Classic at 8:30 pm et? Is this a new Marxs Brothers movie, " Day and a Half at the Races"? Once again I don't get a vote on it. I guess I can start that back in the day talk with younger bettors about how it used to be. Soon I will not be able to express my opinion here too. But, I don't get a vote on it. DRF, I knew you when........
Joey W More than 1 year ago
I would like to here a DRF explanation of the new form format. And why someone who is loyal, buying monthly subscriptions cannot access the andvanced classic PP's of the Breeder's Cup days.
[removed] More than 1 year ago
This comment has been deleted
Steven Crist More than 1 year ago
Just so there is no confusion, this press release is from 2008.
Steven Crist More than 1 year ago
Sorry, 2007.
Irish Danny More than 1 year ago
It's time to have a complete overhaul of how DRF handles the Breeders Cup and all other races. ADvance DRF, come on, I can get the PP for free on many internet sites and you want to charge me almost $30. I also wish that those in charge be more concerned for the betting public. 20 minutes between races is more than enough time. Most bettors for the big events have pools and they are not rushing to the windows at the track they are betting early before the crowds and picking #'s or whatever. I will be at the OTB from 12PM to 9 PM toooooo LOOOONG !!!!!
James Eccles More than 1 year ago
The logistics of jockeys dismounting after a race, weighing out and going back to the jockeys room in order to change their silks for the next race, and then getting back to the paddock again for the next race, makes your 20 minutes between races suggestion impractical. Try harness racing :)
Jimmy Moroney More than 1 year ago
Danny, it's a free market in the USA. If you don't like don't buy!
Hail No More than 1 year ago
I think it should be AT LEAST 30 minutes between races, aside from what James said about the jocks needing time, bettors (and handicappers) would benefit from MORE time, it takes a while to go to the paddock and try to assess each horse, and ALL pools should be shown, there's a lot of info in them there pools. I do agree that 30bucks for a "BC Package" is ridiculous, just give us the pp's. I've loved the form since I was a kid, but it seems DRF isn't really thinking about the customers who want the pps, easily and readily accessible, the new format of the print edition of the form is not an improvement, and I'm sure Brisnet will be getting a big boost in business..
Geral John Pinault More than 1 year ago
I must post my opposition regarding how the DRF is putting so many articles into the DRF+ that we used to be able to read every day. We pay for the Form to bet, and that should be enough. This crassful commercialism is what is driving more and more fans out of racing today!!!
Big Jeff More than 1 year ago
They don't care. They don't even have the decency to address this or comment on the subject. It is quite clear that they feel we need them more than they need us. They are so very wrong.
Hail No More than 1 year ago
I would like to see Chris Rosier get a live mount in this years (or future years) BC, he is riding at a higher level than ever...
I will not be buying the form for this years breeders cup its way to much for so little also now I have to pay tax my state calls it a magazine now it is no longer a newspaper witch is not taxed.