- DRF Bets
- Handicapping & PPsHorsemen's ProductsReports
Access past performances
- The Wizard
- DRF Gameplan
- Quick Sheets
- DRF Picks
- Today's Racing Digest
- Key Race Report
- Positive ROI Report
- Moss Pace Figure Reports
- Debut Reports
- WE Handicapping Report
- Clocker Reports
Racing and Wagering InformationTools
- DRF EasyForm PPs
- DRF Classic PDF PPs
- DRF Formulator PPs
- DRF HarnessEye PPs
- DRF Daily Harness Program PPs
- Daily Racing Program PPs
- NewsCategoriesTrack Notes
- StorePast PerformancesHarness PPsPackagesDRF PlusREPORTSPICKS
Updated on 01/24/2013 2:55PM
Some details of Woodbine, government agreement revealed; 133-day meet planned
By Bill Tallon
ETOBICOKE, Ontario – At a Woodbine press conference Thursday, which was conducted on an upbeat note but proved short on detail, the Woodbine Entertainment Group and the Ontario Government presented the beginnings of a blueprint under which Thoroughbred racing at Woodbine will operate for the next two seasons.
The Woodbine Entertainment Group announced Wednesday that it had reached a two-year transitional funding agreement with the provincial government, and also a separate agreement in principle with the Ontario Lottery and Gaming Corporation, that would keep slot machines in operation at its Woodbine and Mohawk racetracks under leasing arrangements.
The 2013 Woodbine racing season, pending Ontario Racing Commission approval, will begin on April 20, with the backstretch opening March 1 and the training track on March 3. Closing day would be Dec. 15.
“We’ll soon be making an application for 133 race dates,” said Nick Eaves, president and CEO of the Woodbine Entertainment Group, “and we anticipate that the average daily overnight purses will be applicable to those paid in 2012.”
Woodbine had applied for 167 racing dates last year, April 6 through Dec. 16, but raced 156 days after eliminating many Thursday cards late in the season to counter a projected year-end purse overpayment. The average daily purse distribution last year was $508,000.
Eaves added that while the Woodbine stakes schedule will be under scrutiny, major races including the Queen’s Plate, Woodbine Mile, and Canadian International will anchor the schedule.
Jim Lawson, the Woodbine Entertainment Group’s chairman of the board; Ted McMeekin, head of the Ontario Ministry of Agriculture, Farms and Rural Affairs; and Eaves were on the podium Thursday with attendees that included former cabinet ministers John Wilkinson, Elmer Buchanan, and Doug Snobelen, who had authored a report on a sustainable future for the Ontario racing industry.
“There will be new sources of revenue that can be put into place to support horseracing,” said McMeekin, adding that because negotiations were ongoing with other racetracks “the funds will not be immediately forthcoming and the exact nature of the deals will not yet be revealed.”
The arrangements will not take effect until the Ontario Lottery and Gaming Corporation’s racetrack slots program, which formerly had designated 10 percent of the profits to the tracks and 10 percent to purses, ends March 31.
“Woodbine Entertainment Group is entirely committed to a partnership with the government,” said Eaves.
“It is important to understand that because the arrangements are transitional in nature, our organization is going to have to look very seriously at change and the way we conduct and do our business.”
To that end, the Woodbine Entertainment Group had been holding off announcing its 2013 racing schedule while continuing its negotiations with the Ontario Ministry of Agriculture, Farms and Rural Affairs on the transition plan and with the Ontario Lottery and Gaming Corporation regarding the slots program and the possibility of situating a full-scale casino at Woodbine, a project which remains on the drawing board.
Sue Leslie, who has been heavily involved in the battle over racing’s future as president of Ontario’s Horsemen’s Benevolent and Protective Association and as the president of the Ontario Horse Racing Industry Association, had mixed feelings on Thursday’s news.
“Obviously there’s some disappointment for the horsemen, in the loss of race dates,” said Leslie.
“The length of the deal is extremely disappointing. It does not deal with the five-year-breeding cycle, the investments made by breeders, owners and racetrack operators."
Under the recommendations from the transitional panel all revenues from pari-mutuels would go toward purses.
“I have concerns about the racetracks, and their operating funds,” said Leslie, who also noted that Ontario’s ruling Liberal Party soon will have a new leader and perhaps a new outlook which could benefit future negotiations.
“Hopefully, with a new regime, we can make a case and work out a longer deal,” said Leslie.
“Unless horse racing is integrated into the province’s long-term gaming strategy we’re going to have a difficult time going forward.”
This agreement is nothing but a band-aid for the next two years, in order for Woodbine to make its transition from the corporate mess it created. Having slots machines all over Ontario including Bingo Halls will saturate gambling where a whole lot of gambling entities will have to do with less. If Toronto gets its Mega Casino, Woodbine wil become absolutely irrelevant in slots revenue. Within these two years Woodbine must transform itself again into the best racing enterprise in Ontario. Its a shame that horse owners in Ontario must keep their good 3 year olds in the USA if they hope to compete for the US triple crown which is run on DIRT. iT IS ALSO SHAMEFULL THAT THE QUEENS PLATE HAS BEEN RUN ON POLY after such a long and memorable history on dirt. If a purse cut is implimented does that mean that daily rates and other associated fees are also reduced by the same percentage? Does Woodbine really needs 5 handicappers for its Thoroughbred Racing? Now that greed & mismanagement has killed the goose that laid the golden eggs, it is about time that the Woodbine management and the HPBA, the Ontario Racing Commission and the Ontario Pari Mutuel Agency show some more initiative to dig themselves out of the crater they put Ontario racing in.
And what happens after the two year agreement? Why Woodbine in Canada that has a great natural rescorces economy is giving racing a hard time makes no sense. I understand it more in the States because so many tracks getting slot money probably shouldn't even exist. Like New Mexico and Delaware. Toss in Presque Island and Penn National. If only 800 people are attending live races it shows they don't care about the sport. Move on!
No need to cut purses when the handle is as large as it is.
They should still be cutting the purses by 25%, put the money into a rainy day account... Even with a 25% purse cut, they're making damn good money.
- 1.Posted 12/04/2013 11:20AM
- 2.Posted 12/03/2013 03:13PM
- 3.Posted 12/03/2013 07:02PM
- 4.Posted 12/04/2013 07:01PM
- 5.Posted 12/02/2013 02:02PM