05/12/2014 11:01AM

Social Inclusion puts up bullet half-mile at Pimlico

Social Inclusion, under Luis Contreras, works a half-mile in 47 seconds at Pimlico on Monday.

BALTIMORE - Showing no lingering effects from a foot bruise that forced him to be scratched from a Gulfstream stakes race May 3, Social Inclusion worked a fast, strong four furlongs with a powerful gallop-out Monday morning at Pimlico in a prep for the Preakness Stakes on Saturday.

Track clockers officially timed Social Inclusion in 47 seconds for a half-mile, the fastest by two seconds of five works at the distance Monday. Social Inclusion was urged slightly at the top of the stretch, but came past the grandstand going easily, and his workout, which came with race rider Luis Contreras in the irons, was as much about what happened past the wire as before it.

Working by himself on a quiet track at about 8:40 a.m., Social Inclusion set splits of 12.20 for his first eighth-mile, 22.40 for his first quarter, and 35.60 for three furlongs. He ran his fourth furlong in about 11.40 seconds for the 47 official clocking, and proceeded to gallop out five furlongs in 59.60 seconds and six furlongs in 1:13.60, according to track clockers. Contreras didn’t fully pull Social Inclusion up until he had nearly reached the finish line a second time.

::2014 PREAKNESS STAKES: Latest news, video, and more

“He feels great,” said Contreras. “He feels very light on this racetrack. We wanted to get a good work into him today.”

Social Inclusion could go off the second choice in the Preakness behind Derby winner California Chrome. He impressively won his first two starts, including a track-record-setting romp over Honor Code at Gulfstream, before setting the pace from a wide draw in the April 5 Wood Memorial and fading slightly to finish third behind Wicked Strong and Samraat.

Social Inclusion arrived here Thursday after traveling by van from trainer Manny Azpurua’s base at Gulfstream Park. Denied a spot in the Kentucky Derby field because he lacked qualifying points, Social Inclusion was to have started in the May 3 Sir Bear Stakes at Gulfstream to prep for the Preakness, but a minor lameness was detected the morning of the race, Social Inclusion was found to have a bruised right-front hoof, and he was scratched from the Sir Bear. Owner Ron Sanchez said Social Inclusion was treated with natural remedies, kept from training on Saturday, Sunday, and Monday, and taken back to the track last Tuesday after getting sound on the foot again.

“I was a little concerned, but when I saw him galloping again, I knew it was all right,” Sanchez said. “He’s fine now. Just look at the way he worked.”

Social Inclusion was a late foal, really just turning 3 on May 1, but he is a strong, strapping colt, his moderately large frame well muscled. He carries a good amount of weight, in no small part because of his appetite.

“This horse eats a lot. He’s always eating,” Sanchez said.

Social Inclusion got fairly hot on a warm, humid morning Monday, but the colt sweats considerably even during moderate exercise, according to Contreras. Contreras said Social Inclusion got into his work in relaxed fashion, but is coming into the Preakness a sharp horse.

“The way he worked and the way he’s going, it looks like he could be the speed of the race,” said Contreras.

Social Inclusion, the first Preakness horse to arrive here, might jog Tuesday and then will gallop into Saturday’s race, Sanchez said.

“We were the first ones here, and we expect to be the first ones to the finish,” said Sanchez.

Cover2 6 months ago
3-1 ex, 3-1 tri all, all 3-1 sup all
Vince Lentini 7 months ago
The very average Commanding Curve almost caught Chrome who is probably the slowest winner in my lifetime
automatic slim 7 months ago
CC has plenty of speed if need be, just look at the Santa Anita Derby fractions. SMOKIN...
Vince Lentini 7 months ago
the track was like asphalt
. 7 months ago
Ran a bullet? Then this should be the feature story. Chalk co-favorites. Looks like I'll have to do another pick 4/3. I hate betting 7/5 shots
Marc Strews 7 months ago
upset hmhm well first cc needs to use special horse shoes and then social inclusion has feet problems wow should we look into this has a way to disregard both horses has bad feet.To my knowledge this race is a handicappers dream decent field with whole lotta speed .And then pimlico speed favoring track insightful.A race that will bring out a monster win.So cc is already the crown prince of racing this says a lot. New shooters to face and almost 80 percent people out their in the racing world sees a triple crown winner.I am really not seeing a triple crown horse he so far has faced sup bar race horses.In a year we have weakest three old crop with yes he won the derby may I add slow time. And those of you who says time don't mean any thing need to understand regression in a race horse.I will be focusing on the track and how the day will be playing out with the race card.To this point 1 3/16 miles at pimlico 126 pounds for all colts and gelding and 121 for the one filly.U got to question why Ria Antonia is in this race???My other question comes to point the last race for ride on curlin in the ky derby a seventh beaten 7 lengths but he has finished in the money in stake company??Troubling ..Then Ring weekend troubled at the break in the calder derby and finished second..So know we come down to general a rod troubled start in ky derby and ran strong in florida derby against constitution...Bayern a need to be in front pacesetter with tons of heart..But what happen in the derby trail?????Social Inclusion his wood says miler can he last the distance???Kid cruz flashes antics just like cc but does he have what it takes being a $50000 claimer ( linda rice being very careful what she does in training with him a women smart or a women who will put it the guys)??Pablo Del Monte should have been the winner in the bluegrass but what happen to his stamina???With all eyes looking at this years Preakness I see that some of these horses are coming back from troubled races except for kid cruz who is stepping up.I am always bias on every horse.Since then been seeing how everyone has felt in this years Preakness from the derby.Key points to observe in this years Preakness.Any of the above horse's has a exceptional chance to win and beat cc.I am not shooting down cc but he will need to run his best.With nearly half the field coming out troubled races.This year could be the year to look outside the box.Bet outside the narm...With the above horses being at 5-1 and higher and the derby was supposed to be filled with so called speed horses and no one really showed.And on paper the Preakness has speed horses what is real speed to everyone???That being said we could have all top four finishers in the preaknesss being new shooters.CC is an animal but the question is can he beat this rebounding field of full of young three olds who is still learning the game. Thats a question we all has handicappers and fans alike needs to remember!!!To ponder and decide a race that can either be wavering to a point of no return to a point of jockey riding!!!!!
prose 7 months ago
You are the most illiterate person to ever write a comment on this site. I couldn't understand two sentences (mind you, I don't know where your sentences began or ended since you used no punctuation) of your nonsensical drivel. Do not post here again.
Marc Strews 7 months ago
really hmhm
. 7 months ago
I'd rather him post then you.
Anonymous 7 months ago
I agree I looked at it. Didn't read it. Drugs are involved here. Either the ones he shouldn't be using or the ones he should be on medically.
automatic slim 7 months ago
You need Punctuation to read?????????
J.L. Boey 7 months ago
I believe Social Inclusion is a talented horse, but coming off a 6-week break and with a bruised foot how could he possibly outrun a healthy and seasoned California Chrome sitting right off him? Don't waste your $$. SI should await the Easy Goer Stakes on Belmont Stakes day.
Mark 7 months ago
Horse won first out after missing break by 8. Fresh and dangerous speed.. Real speed.
Jackson Jackson 7 months ago
LOL
. 7 months ago
I am not in the business nor do I own horse. I did run track in college, if your running a bullet, you're fine.
Steve 7 months ago
CC w/ROC & Kid Cruz for the minors. SI possibly hangs on to fill the super...
presidentwong1 7 months ago
I'm gonna spread money on the third, fourth, fifth and sixth favorites to win. I'm hoping for 100% roi. I care less who they are, I'm merely going by history that more times than not, the kentucky derby winner loses the preakness. SI not mature enough and CC will soon be a tired horse. If CC doesn't tire in the preakness, he will tire in the belmont. Just a matter of time til he loses. Lets not be too romanticized about CC, empires rise and fall.
Geronimo2123 . 7 months ago
Of course all empires rise and fall. The US empire is on the way down...with the tale-tell signs of military intervention after military intervention to stave off the inevitable...but you are enjoying it while its lasts, right? Sooner of later CC will lose,but my guess is he has at least 1 or 2 big races in him. Enjoy the ride...
P 7 months ago
I smell an upset, I'm 40% sure, now waiting for the ost Positions and the Weather.
Geronimo2123 . 7 months ago
As of now 20 percent chance of rain Saturday in Baltimore...70-80 on Friday. Post positions should help, but with 10 horses in the race no post will be a bad one...
. 7 months ago
you smell your breath, it's chalk city. I have not seen one horse that can beat these two. As usual, They'll need luck, 2 bad trips and/or Jockey mistakes. Bet the best horse , don't try to get lucky. So Don't do it,. Don't do it. Wait for the Belmont
Mark 7 months ago
Bayern blinkers off . Slow work today. He will sit.