06/02/2010 12:00AM

Six submit $1 million for Aqueduct casino bidding

Email

Six entities have complied with a June 1 deadline imposed by the New York lottery to submit a $1 million entry fee to bid on a casino planned for Aqueduct racetrack in Queens, according to the lottery.

The six entities include three bidders who participated in a previous round of bidding for the casino: Penn National Gaming Inc., SL Green Realty Corp., and a partnership of Delaware North and Saratoga Gaming and Raceway.

In addition, Clairvest Group, a Canadian private-equity firm that was a partner in an entity called Aqueduct Entertainment Group that was picked in the previous round of bidding, submitted the $1 million entry fee, according to the lottery. Aqueduct Entertainment s selection to operate the casino was scuttled earlier this year after criticism that the selection was politically motivated.

Two other groups who have not participated in the bidding previously also submitted entry fees. They are Empire City Casino at Yonkers Raceway and Genting New York, a Malaysia-based casino operator that acquired a majority share of Monticello Raceway in New York last year.

Bids for the Aqueduct casino are due on June 29, and the lottery has said that it will issue a recommendation on Aug. 3. The bid is subject to approval by Gov. David Paterson and the state s legislative leaders. Paterson said that he will approve the recommendation by the lottery.

The casino was first approved by the legislature in 2001, but the selection of an operator has been continually set back by political and financial concerns. The 4,500-slot machine casino is expected to become one of the most lucrative casino properties on the East Coast and will likely provide at least $60 million annually in subsidies to the New York racing industry.