02/24/2005 12:00AM

Sis City sold to Stonerside Stables


Last week, Robert and Janice McNair's Stonerside Stable bought into a 3-year-old colt with hopes of being represented in the Kentucky Derby. Now, the McNairs have purchased a majority interest in a 3-year-old filly they hope can take them to the Kentucky Oaks.

The McNairs on Thursday closed a deal to purchase 75 percent of Sis City from an ownership group headed by Sanford Goldfarb. That group, which includes New York Yankees manager Joe Torre and Michael Dubb, will retain 25-percent interest until the filly is retired. At that point, Stonerside will purchase the remaining 25 percent.

Last week, Stonerside purchased 80-percent interest in the 3-year-old Sort it Out following his victory in the Whirlaway Stakes at Aqueduct on Feb. 12. Sort it Out has been transferred to trainer Bob Baffert.

will remain with trainer Richard Dutrow Jr., who claimed the filly for $50,000 last August at Saratoga from Steve Asmussen.

Since the claim, Sis City has won three stakes, including a 16-length score in the Grade 2 Davona Dale at Gulfstream on Feb. 5. Sis City also won the Mongo Queen at Monmouth and the Grade 2 Demoiselle at Aqueduct. She finished fourth in the Breeders' Cup Juvenile Fillies.

"It's a good piece of business for us,'' Goldfarb said. "We claimed her for $50,000. She's made [nearly] $400,000 and the deal is in the $2 million range. We want to stay in. Every time I turned down big money for a horse it's come back to haunt me.''

John Adger, the racing and bloodstock manager for Stonerside, said Sis City is a filly his outfit has liked for a long time.

"We like her speed and the fact she can carry it,'' Adger said. "I also like her pedigree. It's not what you'd call a fashionable pedigree, but it's free of any Northern Dancer or Mr. Prospector blood, and she should fit into the Stonerside broodmare band very nicely. We have two seasons to Storm Cat, and we may breed her to him.''

Sis City is likely to make her next start in the $150,000 Florida Oaks on March 19 at Tampa Bay Downs.