01/19/2011 3:56PM

Sidney's Candy resumes training after scan

Email
Benoit & Associates
Sidney's Candy resumed training on Wednesday at Santa Anita.

ARCADIA, Calif. – Sidney’s Candy resumed training Wednesday at Santa Anita after tests conducted Monday revealed no injuries to his right hind foot, which kept him from starting in the San Fernando Stakes last week, trainer John Sadler said.

Sadler said that Sidney’s Candy will be pointed to the $300,000 Frank Kilroe Mile on turf on March 5.

The colt underwent a nuclear scan test Monday that is more detailed than a conventional X-ray and can reveal hard-to-find injuries. Sidney’s Candy’s tests revealed no injuries.

“The good news is that he’s okay,” Sadler said Wednesday. “He went back to the track today.”

Sidney’s Candy would have been heavily favored in the Grade 2 San Fernando, having won 6 of 11 starts and $893,560 in his career. He won the Santa Anita Derby and four other stakes in 2010, including the Grade 2 Sir Beaufort Stakes over a mile on Dec. 26. Last Friday, Sadler scratched Sidney’s Candy from the San Fernando after the colt walked unsound.

The Kilroe will be Sidney’s Candy’s first start on turf since a sixth in the Breeders’ Cup Mile at Churchill Downs in November.

“I like the timing,” Sadler said of the Kilroe. “I want to save him for the big races later this year.”