10/30/2009 12:00AM

Schwartz to serve as TOC president

Email

ARCADIA, Calif. - Steve Schwartz, an attorney with an extensive background in racing as a former trainer and an active owner and breeder, has accepted the position of president of the Thoroughbred Owners of California.

The appointment was announced Friday.

Schwartz, 59, had been in discussions with TOC officials about the position in recent months, following the departure of Drew Couto from the position in late June.

The TOC is the state's official representative of owners, working with racetracks on issues such as purse negotiations as well as legislative and regulatory matters.

Schwartz, who will begin his new position Nov. 15, joins the TOC at a time when California racing is facing a decline in horse ownership because of a poor economy and dwindling purses due to lower handle.

"When I heard that Drew was leaving, it spurred my interest and I saw an opportunity to be part of solutions and get involved at a time when the game needs some fresh thinking," Schwartz said Friday morning.

"I feel that the organization is the one organization that's able to make meaningful positive changes to improve our game."

Schwartz trained a small stable until 2001, including two-time 1999 stakes winner Mountain Medley. In recent years, Schwartz has represented horsemen occasionally in hearings for medication violations with track stewards.

Schwartz said Friday he currently owns six horses and is a breeder. He said he has been "semi-retired" for 14 months from a law practice, which focuses on equine veterinary issues.

According to a statement issued by the TOC, Schwartz has agreed to a one-year contract with a $175,000 salary. He will be based at the TOC's offices at Santa Anita.

Informed sidelined with injury

Informed, winner of two Grade 2 races earlier this year, will be out of training until early 2010 with an undisclosed injury, trainer Doug O'Neill said Friday.

Last week, O'Neill said that Informed would not be pre-entered for the Breeders' Cup Dirt Mile at Santa Anita on Nov. 7 because of a setback and that the 5-year-old horse would be examined at a clinic. At the time, O'Neill was hopeful that Informed could be sent to Japan for the Japan Cup Dirt in early December. That has been dropped.

"We'll need a few months," O'Neill said. "The Japan Cup Dirt is not going to happen this year. He's a got a few little things going on."

Informed won the Californian Stakes and San Diego Handicap earlier this year. He was eighth in the Grade 1 Goodwood Stakes in his most recent start Oct. 10.

It Tiz targeting Hollywood Starlet

It Tiz and Mona de Momma are being pointed for Grade 1 stakes in December after winning allowance races at Santa Anita on Thursday.

It Tiz won a one-mile allowance race for 2-year-old fillies by 1 3/4 lengths, which trainer Mark Glatt considers a prep for the Grade 1 Hollywood Starlet Stakes over 1 1/16 miles at Hollywood Park on Dec. 19.

On Thursdsay, It Tiz was timed in 1:38.02, taking the lead in the final furlong.

"I thought she'd win easier," Glatt said. "She's still fairly green."

Earlier this year, It Tiz was fourth in two Grade 1 stakes - the Darley Debutante and Oak Leaf Stakes - and was briefly considered for a Breeders' Cup 2-year-old filly race by Glatt and owners Allen and Susan Branch. They decided to give her an easier campaign this fall.

"I want her to be a 3-year-old when she'll be better," Glatt said. "If we over race her now, we won't have that opportunity."

Mona de Momma won a six-furlong allowance race for fillies and mares by 2 1/2 lengths in 1:09, her third win in her last four starts. Trained by John Sadler for Michael Talla, Mona de Momma will be considered for the Grade 1 La Brea Stakes for 3-year-old fillies over seven furlongs at Santa Anita in late December. The exact date for the race has not been announced.

"I'd like to run in another allowance race before then," Sadler said.

Harty consolidates his stable

Trainer Eoin Harty has consolidated his national stable to California this fall. He said Friday that 30 horses have been sent from Kentucky to California, giving him a 55-horse stable.

Many of the new arrivals are 2-year-olds owned by Darley Stable and WinStar Farm and will be active at the Hollywood Park meeting that opens on Nov. 13, he said.

"I've got a bunch of 2-year-olds, and they'll have to sort themselves along the way," he said. "There's some nice 2-year-olds. They'll be competitive in the right spots."