07/27/2013 3:17PM

Saratoga: Wise Dan smokes through Fourstardave work

Wise Dan, with Damien Rock aboard, zips five furlongs in 57.39 on the Oklahoma turf course Saturday.

This content is part of a free preview of DRF Plus. Click to learn more.

SARATOGA SPRINGS, N.Y. – Last August, before leaving Saratoga, Wise Dan had observers’ jaws dropping with an effortlessly fast workout over the Oklahoma turf course.

Saturday, with a bevy of onlookers present, Wise Dan – the reigning Horse of the Year – did it again, working a sensational five furlongs in 57.39 seconds while galloping out an equally impressive six furlongs in 1:09.41 under exercise rider Damien Rock.

Wise Dan was working toward an Aug. 10 start in the Grade 2, $500,000 Fourstardave Handicap, a race he won here last summer which began his current seven-race winning streak.

DRF Plus Preview

“I was very pleased,” trainer Charlie LoPresti said back at the barn. “I know he’s an incredible work horse. That’s why I don’t work him very much. I was thinking he’d go 59 or 1:00, but you know that turf’s probably firm.”

And Wise Dan is probably pretty fast. Rock had a hard time holding the gelding as he galloped around the first turn and got ready to break off at the five-furlong pole. He went his first quarter in 12.09 seconds and the quarter in 23.37, which meant he came home in 33.98 seconds.

“Once he hits that stride you don’t want to try to slow him down,” Rock said. “That makes him uncomfortable. He just did it effortlessly and comfortably; faster than Charlie wanted to go, faster than I thought I was going. I thought I was going in 59.”

[SARATOGA 2013: Complete meet coverage, exclusive DRF videos]

Said LoPresti: “He walked back here like he didn’t even breeze, that’s the scary thing.”

With three races and that work under his belt, Wise Dan may not have another timed breeze before the Fourstardave.

“I’ll let him tell me,” LoPresti said. “You saw today what he is. That’s the way he does it. Why would you work a horse like that all the time?”

Big Bob More than 1 year ago
"He can win on any surface, on any track".... ya sure, been over a year since he's won on fake dirt and a year and eight months since the Clark. He is a great turf miler, yet some of the things written about him might lead one to believe he is the lea der in the classic division. Stop please with the embellishment of this horse's accomplishments on "any surface", I thought this was a what have you done for me lately sport? He has only been running 8-9 furlongs on turf, or am I missing something?
jay More than 1 year ago
You are definitely missing something.
papajoe Santiago More than 1 year ago
RIGHT NOW THE FIELDS IN THE GRASS ARE GETTING SHORTER SPECIALLY IN GRADE STAKES & I SEE THAT WE DON'T HAVE QUALITY ANYMORE HERE BECAUSE THEY SELL OUR CHAMPIONS TO OTHER COUNTRYS OUR CHAMPIONS BELONG HERE IN AMERICA,THE DIANA STAKES WAS SUB-PAR AT BEST I DID NOT BET ON IT EVEN DO I HAD THE WINNER WHY BECAUSE OF THE QUALITY OF THE FIELD ANY GOOD HADICAPER CAN SEE THAT.IF A 3 YEAR OLD WINS 2 OF THE TRIPLE CROWN RACES THEY RETIRED THEM TO STUD OR SELL THEIR INTEREST TOTHE WEALTHY & GREEDY THAT HAS TO STOP IF WE WANT RACING TO FLOURISH HERE IN AMERICA WE ARE SHOOTING OURSELVES IN THE FOOT & THEN THEY LEAVE US WITH THE CRUMS.
papajoe Santiago More than 1 year ago
HE IS OUR CHAMPION I CAN'T WAIT SEE HIM AGAINST THE EUROPEANS BEST I HOPE THE CONNECTIONS WILL LET THIS HORSE DO HIS THING FOR A COUPLE OF YERAS MAYBE 2YEARS I LOVE WATCHING HIM CRUZE I BEEN BETTING ON HIM SINCE SARATOGA OF LAST YEAR BUT MOST IMPONTANLY I LOVE TO SEE HIM RUN EVEN WHEN AM NOT BETTING ON HIM.A HORSE WHO CAN WIN IN ANY SURFACE & ON ANY TRACK IN AMERICA IN THESE DAYS & WIN IS MOST AMAZING THING TO SEE & KNOW THAT REPRESENTS US ALL.
jay kele More than 1 year ago
W.T.F.!!! 6 GRADE 1 WINS AND WE DON*T KNOW HOW GOOD HE IS?? WHAT ARE YOU ON ?
Wesley White More than 1 year ago
A Grade 1 work from a Grade 1 horse who is consistently entered in Grade 2 and Grade 3 races. The connections of this horse have failed Horse racing as we'll never really know how great he could possibly be. Horrible situation as his legacy will be defined by his fast 4 and 5 furlong moves in the mornings.
zkid9914 More than 1 year ago
Why don't you buy him and race him in every Grade 1 you want. They all know where he will be on Breeders Cup Day.
jay More than 1 year ago
You are definitely in the running for the Eclipse Award for Dumbest Comment of the Year.
John Doe More than 1 year ago
Yawn...
I am Wise Dan........
kimmons2 More than 1 year ago
That Wise Dan! What a wild Man he is!!!!!! God Bless and Keep him Safe and Sound....!!!! Can't wait to see him run...
chad mc rory More than 1 year ago
The Earth rumbled... again.