Updated on 08/28/2012 9:38AM

Saratoga: Travers ends in Alpha-Golden Ticket dead heat

NYRA
Golden Ticket (inside) dead-heats with Alpha in the Travers.

SARATOGA SPRINGS, N.Y. - A race that lacked significance in terms of year-end divisional honors became historic Saturday afternoon at Saratoga when favored Alpha and longshot Golden Ticket dead-heated for win in the $1 million Travers Stakes at Saratoga.

It was nearly a triple dead heat, as Fast Falcon, last of 11 through the first six furlongs, came with a flying finish to finish third, beaten only a neck.

Atigun, who like Golden Ticket is trained by Ken McPeek, finished fourth and was followed in the order of finish by Nonios, Neck 'n Neck, Stealcase, Speightscity, Liaison, Five Sixteen, and Street Life. Street Life, pulled up after the wire by Jose Lezcano, was vanned off and later found to have a soft tissue injury in his left front pastern, according to trainer Chad Brown. It's a non-life-threatening injury.

[Complete coverage of racing at Saratoga: News, PPs, and video]

In the 143 runnings of the Travers, the only other recorded dead-heat occurred in 1874 between Attila and Acrobat. In that instance, a run-off was held that was won by Attila.

There would be no such resolution Saturday.

Instead, there were two camps that had mixed emotions when the infield board flashed dead heat, much to the delight of the crowd of 46,528, which burst into applause.

While Alpha was sent off the 2-1 favorite, and expected to win, he was a length behind inside the sixteenth pole. Under a persevering Ramon Dominguez, Alpha kept coming and though his head was coming up at the wire, it landed on the line at the same time as Golden Ticket, whose head was bobbing down under jockey David Cohen.

"I thought we were second-best at the sixteenth pole," said Kiaran McLaughlin, trainer of Alpha. "I didn't think we were going to get there, and then the last lunge or two I thought maybe we got there. The photo indicated a tie, and we'll take it."

Said McPeek, "First I thought we won, then I thought we lost and I looked at it again - nobody could tell. I was happy for Kiaran too. We've known each other since we were kids."

It was a huge win for Golden Ticket considering he wasn't even being pointed to this race. Unraced since losing an allowance race at Churchill Downs on May 5 - Kentucky Derby Day - Golden Ticket ran in the Travers only when two other races he had entered in at Saratoga didn't fill.

Meanwhile, Alpha was looking to add the Travers to his earlier victories in the Grade 2 Jim Dandy, Grade 3 Withers and Count Fleet.

Alpha won the Jim Dandy on the lead. In the Travers, he was third and three wide as Speightscity set the pace while being chased by Stealcase. Speightscity went fractions of 23.51 seconds for the quarter, 48.06 for the half-mile and 1:12.62 for six furlongs.

Golden Ticket, meanwhile, was kept on the rail by Cohen and in fourth position, inside of Alpha.

Turning for home Cohen shot Golden Ticket inside of Speightscity, and he came to the eighth pole with a one-length lead that grew a bit larger approaching the sixteenth pole.

"At the eighth pole I thought, 'Wow he's going to draw off, he's gone,' " said McPeek, who said that his instructions were to "never leave the rail, don't leave it, stay there. If you get stopped, it's my fault. He rode a beautiful race."

Dominguez said he kept his horse behind Stealcase while awaiting challenges from Neck'n Neck and Nonios that never came.

"I kept my options open and kept him on the outside," Dominguez said. "David rode a great race and got through on the rail and opened up two on me. I really felt that made a difference for him to also become a winner. Either way I'm very proud of my horse. At the sixteenth pole it looked like it was probably lost because the other horse had some separation. He kept coming to the end. I'm very, very happy."

Cohen said he had "no clue" who won the race when the two horses hit the finish line.

"It was obviously very tight, when they announced it was a dead heat we accepted it as a great victory for both of us," Cohen said.

At 33-1, Golden Ticket, a son of Speightstown owned by Carter Stewart and Ken Schlenker, who race as Magic City Thoroughbred Partners, was the third longest shot on the board. He returned $26.80 to win. Alpha, a son of Bernardini owned by Godolphin Racing, returned $4.10.

Final time for the 1 1/4 miles was 2:02.74.

Junior Alvarado, the rider of Fast Falcon, said the dead heat between Alpha and Golden Ticket might have been for second if he hadn't gotten stopped behind Street Life at the three-eighths pole.

"He stopped in front of me when I thought he was going to try and kick off, so I had to check a little bit and move outside and start to pick it up again," Alvarado said. "I'm pretty sure that cost me the race."

For trainer Nick Zito and owner Richard Pell, this was the second hard-luck result in the Travers in three years. In 2010, they sent out Fly Down to a nose loss to Afleet Express.

"I would have taken a dead heat," Pell said.

HandicapperErni More than 1 year ago
Happy that David Cohen won the Travers on Golden Ticket. I remember I saw Cohen out in Southern California when he got started did okay but actually since this win is one of his signatures in his career actually this isn't his biggest. His biggest came in 2006 when he won the Dubai Golden Shaeen with Proud Tower Too. After that, his career declined for a bit here. Went to Delaware and started dominating there. Then went to NY and has started to become a top 10 rider there. I think to me now David Cohen is a better rider now than when he was when he got started out here IMO. Nice to see him win that Travers with Golden Ticket.
Richard More than 1 year ago
Amazing! The Pacific Classic was won three seconds faster than the Travers! I think it is fair to say that I think Dullahan is a better horse on polytrack than on dirt.
Ponies Payme More than 1 year ago
What does time have to do with those two races? You are comparing apples to morons!
Big Jeff More than 1 year ago
Funny thing; before the Travers everyone, and I mean everyone, had an opinion on the race.Not a single person even mentioned Golden Ticket. Now it seems as though several, to say the least, had him keyed in everything. Boy people sure can keep a secret around here. Come to think of it don't recall anyone "screamin'" about Beamin" either.
Ponies Payme More than 1 year ago
Some one here was ALL OVER Golden Ticket. I congratulated him. Get the facts straight.
Ponies Payme More than 1 year ago
Ah. The Beyer Syndrome. I simply tossed Golden Ticket without much more than a quick glance based on his multiple MSW races. He ran 2nd to Prospective, who I liked in the Derby with IHA & Alpha. I totally disliked Neck and neck and Liason and really was only left with Alpha, Nonios and Steal. Of the remaining 4-5 horses left Golden Ticket looked the best , coming of a freshener, where most 3yo's mature and improve. I just didnt think that the Travers was a place to "improve", so i used the other three with the weaker horses underneith. Congrats to the reader here who was all over Golden Ticket. nice pick. Very Nice Pick
Kyri Freeman More than 1 year ago
It was fun to see the dead heat, but I thought this was a disappointing race. Going in, there were 4 or 5 horses who could have run well and moved forward as leaders of the division. Coming out, only one horse ran well, and that was lightly raced Golden Ticket, who benefited from a great ride/trip, but did hold on gamely in the stretch. Who knows what he'll be able to do next, though -- maybe this was just a one-time performance. Co-winner Alpha didn't impress me, as he should have passed his rival and gone on to win with authority, given his foundation and accomplishments. He either wasn't finishing with much power or hung. Longshot Fast Falcon ran on, but wasn't going to win, and Atigun sort of clunked up there (maybe he would run better on turf). No one else fired. Add this to the anomalous King's Bishop results, and that leaves Dullahan as the only bright spot (but a very bright one) in the division over the weekend.
Chris Martin More than 1 year ago
I wish drf & equibase et al would recognize this years edition of the Travers as a Gr 3 or overnight stakes race instead of giving credit as a Gr 1.
TEDK215 More than 1 year ago
keep on wishing!
Rick Harrington More than 1 year ago
As long as the Graded Stakes Committee recognizes it as a GR I, the DRF/Equibase are not going to change their stances.
russell More than 1 year ago
None of these horses deserved to win a race like this. But they survived the 3 year-old war of attrition. This should be a reminder to all owners. Its a long year and don't blow your load early.
jon g More than 1 year ago
Willy beamin would have won this race if entered. What a horse !
Ray Sousa More than 1 year ago
come on wake up.that horse is now the poster child for everything thats wrong with horseracing,hes a nother duthrow drug induced miracle,before duthrow that horse couldnt outrun cheap claimers,but youre probably a fan of ben johnson,marion jones,barry bonds,clemens,armstong and most of the old soviet olympic team.
sat.customer More than 1 year ago
Don't be bitter because your chalk Currency Swap/Trinneburg Exacta ran out. Willy B was legit. Dutrow is under the micro. Worry about all the Cali. trainers and their lax enforcement of the cheaters like Baff,Mitch,Mullins,and of course Drug O'neil. I hit the ex for $376,tyvm.
Big Jeff More than 1 year ago
sure you did.
jon g More than 1 year ago
Made $400 for day,but had an $8300 pick 4 if FF gets up. Sick
Ponies Payme More than 1 year ago
OK... I made a $96 P4 for $5. I came back with 2 1,8,10 4 4,6,10 for $10. Willie Beamin and his Perfect trip beat my Fort, who got the "between horses trip. Costs me about $600+ x 7.5=$4500. Ouch. But I am not complaining.
I sure do miss the jockeys were Gary Stevens, Jerry Bailey, and Pat Day. I don't think they've really been replaced by comparative talent.
Blaine MacMillan More than 1 year ago
McCarron, Pincay, Cordero, Shoemaker, Delahoussaye, Velasquez are missed too.