07/26/2012 3:39PM

Saratoga: Teeth of the Dog on roll for Jim Dandy

Teeth of the Dog comes into the Grade 2 Jim Dandy Stakes off of wins in the Easy Goer Stakes and Grade 2 Dwyer Stakes.

SARATOGA SPRINGS, N.Y. – In a perfect world, trainer Michael Matz would be taking Union Rags to Monmouth Park for Sunday’s $1 million Haskell while pointing Teeth of the Dog to next weekend’s $750,000 West Virginia Derby at Mountaineer.

In the imperfect world that is horse racing, Matz has had to make a different plan.

A suspensory injury has prematurely ended the career of Belmont Stakes winner Union Rags, prompting Matz and owner Jose Singer to run Teeth of the Dog in Saturday’s Grade 2, $600,000 Jim Dandy Stakes at Saratoga.

“Anytime you have a horse like this that you could point to something like that it sure helps,” said Matz, who is still stinging from the retirement of Union Rags.

Teeth of the Dog, winner of the Grade 2 Dwyer Stakes at Belmont four weeks ago, is one of eight 3-year-olds entered in the Jim Dandy, the local prep for the $1 million Travers Stakes here Aug. 25.

With Wood Memorial winner Gemologist opting to run in Sunday’s Haskell, the Jim Dandy became a more wide-open affair. Alpha, the Wood runner-up and a multiple stakes winner during the winter at Aqueduct; Neck ’n Neck, who has won his last two in dominant fashion; and Teeth of the Dog, who also won an overnight stakes on Belmont Day; could all vie for favoritism.

Teeth of the Dog’s versatility could give him an edge in this well-matched field that has to navigate 1  1/8 miles.

After running fifth in the Preakness, Teeth of the Dog won the Easy Goer Stakes, coming from off the pace. Three weeks later, on the same track with the same half-mile fractions, Teeth of the Dog won the Dwyer, holding off Fast Falcon by a neck.

[Complete coverage of racing at Saratoga: News, PPs, and video]

“I don’t think he thought there was that much pace in it and when all those other horses decided to go with him, he was already committed,” Matz said, referring to jockey Joel Rosario, who will ride Teeth of the Dog for the third straight time.

Teeth of the Dog will break from post 6, with My Adonis, the other potential speed in the field, directly to his inside.

Neck ’n Neck wasn’t mature enough to handle the rigors of the Triple Crown campaign during the winter in Florida, but has since developed into a solid colt. He won a first-level allowance race by 6  1/2 lengths at Churchill on May 10, then came back five weeks later and dominated a short field in the Grade 3 Matt Winn, winning by 7 1/4 lengths.

Trainer Ian Wilkes added blinkers to Neck ’n Neck’s equipment four starts back and said that move and maturity have combined to improve Neck ’n Neck.

“Before, he got to ducking and diving, wouldn’t pass horses, just wouldn’t do things right,” Wilkes said. “He’d lose focus, drop out of it, and the race was done. He’s into a rhythm now.”

Wilkes said he has been very happy with how Neck ’n Neck has trained over Saratoga’s main track. Jockey Leandro Goncalves makes his Saratoga debut in this spot.

If you draw a line through Alpha’s two races at Churchill Downs – 11th in the Breeders’ Cup Juvenile and a 12th in the Kentucky Derby – he has 3-2-0 record from five starts. He began his career with a six-length maiden win here, making him the only horse to have a win – or a race – over this track.

Alpha missed the Belmont Stakes due to a temperature and was shipped to Saratoga in mid-June, where he has trained exceptionally well over the main track for trainer Kiaran McLaughlin.

“I think it helped that we backed off a little bit,” McLaughlin said. “He has done very well, he’s put weight on, he’s happy, doing great.”

Atigun finished third in the Belmont, beaten only two lengths by Union Rags. His trainer, Ken McPeek, believes the horse could be sitting on his biggest performance yet.

“He’s probably coming into this race as well as I’ve ever seen him,” McPeek said. “He needs pace in the race, and you don’t ever know how that’s going to set up.”

Fast Falcon has improved with each of his last three performances, though he was twice beaten by Teeth of the Dog. As a son of Awesome Again, he should appreciate the 1 1/8 miles of the Jim Dandy.

“He’s bred for it, he ran very, very well, I’m kind of excited about that,” trainer Nick Zito said. “I’m happy with his progression. He’s an improving horse, and we’ll go from there.”

Trainer Bob Baffert has shipped Liaison cross-country for the Jim Dandy. He is coming off two narrow losses in the Affirmed and Swaps, both at Hollywood Park. Before that, he finished sixth in the Kentucky Derby.

Prospective finished 18th in the Kentucky Derby, but has since won two stakes, including the Grade 2 Ohio Derby.

Mark Scheider More than 1 year ago
Atigun
One thing I never like is watching my up and comer show marked improvement without winning (Atigun from the Belmont), and then - all of a sudden - become the "clever" pick of too many "wise guys". I can't go for that. He should have won the Belmont - he looked like the winner from the moment the gates sprung, and I felt extreme confidence as he took the field's measure around the far turn and loomed boldly at the top of the stretch. When you are 30-1, and show that much of your hand, you're supposed to win. Needless to say, I'm a little leary. I don't like taking horses who are bet down like a "good thing" but haven't - yet - proved themselves. If he stays around his morning line of 8-1, no problem, he's definitely worth a flyer. At 4-1, 9-2, 5-1? You can have him.
Perl More than 1 year ago
Not sure about atigun today but it's very tough to win the belmont with a wide sustained bid like that.
PeterG More than 1 year ago
This is a very good post. It really does seem like this horse is a sucker bet. I watched the Saratoga pregame show this morning and Serling and Christ never mentioned this horse. The 8-1 morning line seems kind of odd too. What's Eric Donovan's thinking on that I wonder? Another thing is that the trainer McPeek seems uncertain about the distance. It might be too short for this horse. The trainer said the Travers distance is a better distance for him. I like Atigun and he ran a big race in the Belmont and horses are coming out of that race and winning but I'm getting bad vibes about Atigun. Don't let me take you off him though. I'm not the greatest handicapper in the world, that's for sure.
PeterG More than 1 year ago
The comments from the trainer about the distance is what bothers me the most, not what Christ, Serling and Donovan think. The horse has won some lower lever races at 8.5 furlongs but not a Stakes race. I'm probably going to pass the race. I feel uncertain about it and I always lose when I feel that way.
Ronnie Malo Rodriguez More than 1 year ago
I've claimed that Teeth of the Dog is one of the best colts in the country, and I still believe that. I'd like to see him run around two turns first before enorsing for the Travers. This is gonna be a great betting race. Gotta go with Attigun after his Belmont run against Paynter.
Ronnie Malo Rodriguez More than 1 year ago
The Belmont is turning out to be a Key Race. My Adonis came back to win, and Street Life came back to win. Attigun takes it.
Ronnie Malo Rodriguez More than 1 year ago
Attigun and Prospective my top horses based on price.
MJP More than 1 year ago
IHA's bro NnN looks ready to roll. He's a far better horse than he was last winter and I think he will explode from a stalking spot. I think Zito may have finally raced Fast Falcon into shape, think he runs huge as well. It's the type of race where the NY jockey colony will do the usual and after all the deliberations, probably only three horses will be put into the race at any point.
Sam Shelby More than 1 year ago
Atigun wins. Period. End of story.
Linda Piscitelli-Spinosa More than 1 year ago
based on what? His slow belmont.
Sam Shelby More than 1 year ago
Time in 1 1/2 mile races are the essence of irrelevance.
TEDK215 More than 1 year ago
kinda like your comments lol!
Sam Shelby More than 1 year ago
Ok. I look like a fool. I cant believe he didnt compete at all.
Linda Piscitelli-Spinosa More than 1 year ago
Teeth of the dog is the first throw out. Prospective is the second throw out. Neck n Neck with the mortgage payment. He's going to kill this field unless it rains.
Ronnie Malo Rodriguez More than 1 year ago
Neck and Neck was already beaten by Prospective earlier in the Sam Davis. He beat 4 average grade 3 horses last out. Is Neck and Neck G1 material I think not.
JT_OnTheSide More than 1 year ago
I think you lose a bit of credibility when Teeth of the Dog is your FIRST throw out. Really? The first?
Enrique Ubarri More than 1 year ago
Teeth of the Dog is as Gamest as they could be...; 100% with my Dominican friends for the Jim Dandy !
Enrique Ubarri More than 1 year ago
Teeth of the Dog is as gamest as they could be...100% with my Dominican friends for the Jim Dandy. Enrique