08/01/2013 4:09PM

Saratoga: Saginaw doubles Jacobson's joy by repeating in John Morrissey

Tom Keyser
Saginaw, ridden by Junior Alvarado, captures the John Morrissey for the second straight year.

SARATOGA SPRINGS, N.Y. - Of the previous 13 wins that Saginaw had recorded for him, trainer David Jacobson tabbed the five-length victory in last year’s John Morrissey Stakes here as his favorite.

The fact it was in Saratoga and the race was named after an individual as significant as Morrissey - the bare-knuckle brawler who helped co-found this track 150 years ago - were what made Jacobson pick that race.

Now, when someone asks Jacobson what his favorite race of Saginaw’s is, he will have trouble answering after Saginaw repeated in the Morrissey, taking Thursday’s renewal by 1 3/4 lengths over Mine Over Matter. Saratoga Snacks, the 4-5 favorite, was third, followed by the pacesetting B Shanny. Night Maneuver scratched.

“I don’t know which one I’m going to like better. It’s a tough call, but I’m just enjoying the moment right now,” Jacobson said.

[SARATOGA 2013: Complete meet coverage, exclusive DRF videos]

Since claiming Saginaw for $30,000 on March 8, 2012 there have been many enjoyable moments for Jacobson and the Drawing Away Stable ownership group. Since the claim, Saginaw has won 14 of 17 starts and banked $712,650. His career record is 21 for 40 with earnings of $974,690.

“He just has the biggest heart. He’s out there to compete and to win and he just loves to run,” Jacobson said.

The betting public made Saratoga Snacks the odds-on choice. Saratoga Snacks, owned by soon-to-be-inducted Hall of Fame football coach Bill Parcells, had won 6 of 8 starts and defeated Saginaw last December in the Alex M. Robb at Aqueduct.

Saginaw, under Junior Alvarado, did a good job of keeping Joel Rosario and Saratoga Snacks bottled up along the inside as both chased B Shanny through a quarter in 22.55 seconds over a sealed, muddy main track.

Down the backstretch Irad Ortiz Jr., on B Shanny, left a bit of an opening along the inside and Rosario tried to put Saratoga Snacks through it but “he didn’t want to go in there,” said Rosario, who then had to steady.

That enabled Alvarado to get first run on B Shanny and he collared that rival just outside the eighth pole and began to draw clear. Saratoga Snacks was guided off the rail by Rosario but gave futile chase and lost second by a nose to Mine Over Matter.

Saginaw, a 7-year-old son of Peruvian, covered the 6 1/2 furlongs in 1:16.47 and returned $7.40.

“I tried to get a good position. I wanted to be clear,” Alvarado said. “I saw that horse he was stuck a little bit inside. By this point I’m next to him holding my horse together, I knew he was going to finish. Things didn’t work out very good for [Saratoga Snacks] - he didn’t have the best trip - but you can’t take anything away from my horse. He ran a hell of a race. He’s such a great horse.”

Don Passidomo More than 1 year ago
Didn't/couldn't bet this race but I really love Saginaw, what a heart whoever owns/trains him he does love to run and loves to win, just hope he stays healthy. Don
AzHorsePlayer More than 1 year ago
The cheaters in this sport make Baseball look clean....how sad Sports has become
Ryan Cale More than 1 year ago
you have to give it to Rosario. he definitely graduated from the Cordero school of acting. Even though i never had a doubt that he would lose the race, he almost had me convinced he was trying to win it a couple times. he really does sell it. very predictable (and I am sure very profitable to his handlers) but still, you have to admire his talent.
if you think the game is fixed you are a fool to keep playing it....I lost also...terrible ride...everyone makes mistakes...move on
mrm More than 1 year ago
These guys are talented riders. They can get a horse beat by giving it a "bad" ride and making it look good.
again...if you think the game is fixed...you are a fool to play it because obviously you cannot beat a fixed game...Rosario would have very little to gain and very very much to lose if he were stiffing the horse and throwing the race...this is not some hollywood B movie
Tony Pastrimi More than 1 year ago
Saginaw would get more kudos if he wasn't trained by 2 Juice Monkeys since claimed off Dominic.. That being 10 year banned Rick Dutrow, and now 20 year ban Jacobson, oh I forgot he was taken away in hand cuffs for starving Hugable Tom years ago. What a game!!!
Ryan Cale More than 1 year ago
yes. all class in this game. also seemed like they might have had two jockeys in the race as well. that would seem to give them the edge.
hialeah More than 1 year ago
Never, ever, ever, underestimate a WIN machine.
Matthew Ellis More than 1 year ago
ROSARIO, ROSARIO that was a terrible ride/trip with Saratoga Snacks. I guess he cant walk on water after all bet connections and horseplayers had a couple of thoughts hope they weren't video taped!!
Ryan Cale More than 1 year ago
i'm guessing he rode that race exactly according to plan. textbook rosario. i bet it helped ensure a P6 carryover. and made some connections very happy.
Ryan...you must have read too many pulp fiction crime novels and seen too many Hollywood B movies...you are living in a fantasy world.
chad mc rory More than 1 year ago
How long has Hemingway been the Trackman at Saratoga - AND - how much did he lose on Snacks? We don't need a novel for a description on a horse race. The Morning Telegraph woulda canned this guy.
mikeg More than 1 year ago
You are complaining about getting an in depth report on a race??? I guess your brain cannot handle it! Some people need to find anything to complain about.
chad mc rory More than 1 year ago
I got the color from Grening's story, where color belongs. This Trackman is too wordy and is pumping out opinion.