08/04/2012 12:37PM

Saratoga: My Miss Aurelia returns to the races Wednesday

My Miss Aurelia has receovered from a shin problem and will make her first start since the 2011 Breeders' Cup on Wednesday at Saratoga.

SARATOGA SPRINGS, N.Y. – My Miss Aurelia, the champion 2-year-old filly of 2011, makes her long-awaited return to the races Wednesday at Saratoga in the $100,000 Mandy’s Gold Stakes at 6 1/2 furlongs.

The race will be the first for My Miss Aurelia since she won the Breeders’ Cup Juvenile Fillies last Nov. 4 at Churchill Downs, capping a perfect 4-for-4 campaign.

“It’s very exciting to get her back to the races,” said Steve Asmussen, who trains My Miss Aurelia for Stonestreet Stables and George Bolton.

My Miss Aurelia, a daughter of Smart Strike, missed the early part of her 3-year-old season due to a shin injury. She didn’t return to the work tab until May at the Vinery Farm before being shipped to Asmussen’s barn in early June. My Miss Aurelia had three workouts at Churchill Downs before shipping to Saratoga at the end of June. Since early July, My Miss Aurelia has breezed five times at Saratoga, including a six-furlong move in 1:13.03 on July 29 that impressed her trainer.

“She trained like a champion,” Asmussen said.

My Miss Aurelia returns at the track where she began her career. On July 22, 2011 – opening day of the Saratoga meet – My Miss Aurelia won her debut by a length. She returned 23 days to win the Grade 2 Adirondack by a neck over Millionreasonswhy.

In the fall, My Miss Aurelia became more dominant, winning the Grade 1 Frizette at Belmont Park by 5 1/2 lengths before completing her campaign with a three-length victory in the Juvenile Fillies at Churchill Downs.

Julien Leparoux, who rode My Miss Aurelia in her two starts at Saratoga, will be reunited with My Miss Aurelia on Wednesday. My Miss Aurelia will break from post 6 in the seven-horse field.

Of the six entered against My Miss Aurelia, Srumdiddlyumptious has the best r è sum é with four wins from six starts, including listed stakes victories at Monmouth and Penn National.

Others entered include Well Kept, Ageless, Delightful Quality, Ullapool, and Xunlei.

Alejandro Franco More than 1 year ago
well anticipated her return to the track has to see how dominant she come back, Asmussen one of the best with horse coming from a layoff.
chad mc rory More than 1 year ago
I'll wager ALL that this Filly has a far better return than her male counterpart. She's in the hands of a Horseman. Safe trip and Luck...
dark horse More than 1 year ago
Asmussen has got to have breeders cup on his mind, might not have her fully cranked yet,but even with that should be enough to handle these.
Joan More than 1 year ago
wow 10, 11 and 12 races at saratoga EVERYDAY...talk about greed....so when is the Gov gonna lower the boom on nyra bosses like he said he would ? And when are these CLOWNS gonna do something right ? I noticed on the cross island parkway they dont even have programable sign to let people know live racing today....simulcast until 1030 pm etc etc....and these guys make how much ?
russell More than 1 year ago
She will probably lose and bust! Long list if top 2 yold fillies that bust at 3 after a long layoff. Stay away from this one.
Bwell More than 1 year ago
You wouldn't say that if you saw her in the flesh.
Grass Is Greener More than 1 year ago
Asmussen took his time. This filly is definitely ready. This is the only time that you're gonna get even money on her this year, and it will be like free money, a walk in the park.
Frank Wagenbaugh More than 1 year ago
I doubt you'll get anywhere near even money; if she somehow went off that high, net the farm.
chad mc rory More than 1 year ago
C'mon Russell... Give her a chance. At this point she's just a young filly who wants to getthehellouta the stall. Good luck to her.
Louisa Foye More than 1 year ago
YEAH! I've been eagerly anticipating Aurelia's return & can't wait to see her once again!