07/27/2013 3:27PM

Saratoga: Lighthouse Bay pulls shocker in Prioress

Tom Keyser
Lighthouse Bay (right), a 21-1 shot under Joe Rocco Jr., outduels pacesetter Wildcat Lilly to win the Grade 1 Prioress on Saturday.

SARATOGA SPRINGS, N.Y. - Trainer George Weaver was eyeing a $100,000 overnight stakes for Lighthouse Bay when he decided to call an audible and enter the 3-year-old filly in Saturday’s Grade 1, $300,000 Prioress Stakes at Saratoga instead.

With a seven-horse field that scratched down to six, Weaver thought it was worth taking a shot if only to try and get third and a Grade 1 stakes placing.

“You never know, we might hit a home run and we did,” Weaver said.

[SARATOGA 2013: Complete meet coverage, exclusive DRF videos]

Under Joe Rocco Jr., Lighthouse Bay, a 21-1 shot, rallied along the inside in the stretch and outfinished the pacesetting Wildcat Lily to the wire to win the Prioress by a half-length. It was 1 3/4 lengths back to Irish Lute in third. So Many Ways and Little Rocket finished fourth and fifth.

Meanwhile, Kauai Katie, the 2-5 favorite, failed to fire and finished last of six, triggering show payoffs of $27,20, $9.70 and $17.80. There was $254,105 bet to show on Kauai Katie out of $317,208 in the pool.

For Lighthouse Bay, the win was the fourth from seven career starts. She had never before run in a graded stakes, never mind a Grade 1.

“I was astonished that George put her in,” said Richard Pollard, who along with his wife, Evelyn, races under the moniker Richlyn Farm.

For Weaver, it was his first Grade 1 win in North America. He had won the Group 1 Dubai Golden Shaheen with Saratoga County, also for the Pollards.

Rocco had Lighthouse Bay in fourth position as Wildcat Lily and So Many Ways dueled through a quarter of 22.22 seconds and a half-mile in 45.12 with Kauai Katie just off of that pair. Kauai Katie was perched three wide approaching the quarter pole, but her jockey, John Velazquez, knew she was struggling to be there.

“She didn’t fire at all," Velazquez said. "Even after the first sixteenth of a mile I tried to put her into the race and hold my position so I don’t get carried too wide. She didn’t put in much effort.”

Meanwhile, Rocco kept his position along the rail with Lighthouse Bay, and when Wildcat Lily, under Javier Castellano, floated well off the fence turning for home, Rocco seized the opportunity to call on his filly. He had a stubborn foe in Wildcat Lily, but ultimately prevailed.

Rocco said he didn’t notice that Kauai Katie was sputtering.

“I was more concentrated on where I was going to go and what the options were in front of me,” Rocco said. “When Javier floated them out I saw my hole and shot through.”

Lighthouse Bay covered the six furlongs in 1:09.29 and returned $45.20 to win.

Don Roth More than 1 year ago
The original gambler Nick the Greek always said "Betting horses is the worst bet a person can make" & he made a believer out of me after watching Kauai Katie at 1/9 running like a Penn National $2,500 claimer. What a sucker game !!!Of course all the "EXPERTS",who died broke by the way, will tell you that we horseplayers,ex horseplayer in my case, are all morons & don't know the game like they do...
Ronald Sanchez More than 1 year ago
What a race for my wildcat lily , she tried hard, but was caught in the final sixteen , she fought back but too lata, we wil be back for the test. And let see what happens. She is tough to beat, and is improving every race. Forget kaua katie, she is done for the summer and fall.
richard cowles More than 1 year ago
Nothing really shocking..George weaver can train a mule up to win,and this one was weak obviously.
Matthew Ellis More than 1 year ago
All the excuses will make you sick Kauai Katie doesn't run if they wont give her a 3 length lead uncontested for 5/8 or forbid if she faces a game in form rival. Any adversity or REAL challenge and forget it EXCUSES just like the other horses in a certain stable your going to hear more very soon!! LOL
Matthew Ellis More than 1 year ago
That's the real Kauai Katie she tried hard you could see that. but she is very over-rated and that's how good she is. Sorry for the allowance and slow horses she beat earlier. These other horses are just much better
Dick More than 1 year ago
Katie, Should be sent to the claiming ranks she looks shot!
Alex Martinez More than 1 year ago
While I don't know what's up Kauai Katie, putting her in claiming races would not be a smart thing to do. She's a G1 winner, and last time I checked, G1 winning broodmares are worth A LOT of money.
Benjamin Gay More than 1 year ago
Umm Alex. You're wrong! Kauai Katie has never one a grade 1. After watching today I don't think she ever will.
Benjamin Gay More than 1 year ago
never won, not never one obviously a typo...sorry
Alex Martinez More than 1 year ago
Well I'll be damned, she's won so many graded races I thought a G1 was on the list! Still, a G2 broodmare is worth a few bucks. Sorry for not checking my facts.
Dick More than 1 year ago
Obviously, I know they wont put her in a claimer. But the reality is if they continue to run her she is no better then a claimer. So retire this horse.