08/13/2016 4:44PM

Saratoga cancels final six races of card after rain soaks track

Jockeys cited unsafe conditions in refusing to ride the final six races of Saratoga's card after heavy rainfall.

SARATOGA SPRINGS, N.Y. – The final six races of Saturday’s card at Saratoga were canceled after the jockeys refused to ride, citing unsafe track conditions.

Rain began shortly after 2 p.m. Eastern, and over the next hour, 0.66 inches fell, according to New York Racing Association management, making for an extremely sloppy main track. The fourth race, run on the turf, was delayed 14 minutes while rain, accompanied by thunder and lightning, went through the area.

After the fifth race, the jockeys met as a group and informed management that they would not ride the remainder of the card.

“We lost the track, it’s as simple as that,” said John Velazquez, who won the fifth race on the 2-year-old Thirst for Victory. “It rained, we lost the track, it’s unsafe.”

Velazquez said the jockeys met with management – Martin Panza, the senior vice president of racing operations, and Glen Kozak, vice president/facilities and racing surfaces. The jocks were asked for some time for the maintenance crew to continue to work on the surface.

“Glen came in and talked to us to try and buy some time,” Velazquez said. “We decided that there’s no way in a half-hour they could get the track good again. There’s so much water on the track, no matter what part of the track you go, it’s unsafe. It’s not fair to the horses or us to be out there and find a spot where it’s comfortable enough to ride the horses.”

Jockey Manny Franco, who finished second in the fifth race on Adulation, said, “The track was horrible. Too much water. It was unsafe for the horses and for us.”

Panza said that NYRA’s weather service predicted that the rain wasn’t going to come until 6 p.m.

“This is not something they projected,” Panza said.

Panza was naturally frustrated to lose half a Saturday program.

“I don’t think any track wants to cancel a Saturday card,” he said. “It’s not something you want to have happen.”

The Grade 1, $500,000 Fourstardave will be rescheduled for next Saturday. It will be open to original nominees and will be redrawn Wednesday. The Grade 2, $200,000 Adirondack, for 2-year-old fillies, will be brought back Friday. It will be open to original nominees and will be redrawn Monday.

The last time a Saratoga card was canceled after it started was on Aug. 8, 2008, after heavy rain washed out part of the main track.

On Sunday, Aug. 27, 2011, the entire card was canceled in advance of Hurricane Irene.

The final two races on the Sept. 2, 1998, card were canceled due to heavy rain, and the last race on Travers Day, Aug. 28, 2004, was canceled due to heavy rain.

Racing is expected to resume Sunday, with a first post of 1 p.m.

Bill Keating More than 1 year ago
The jockeys get the final say, of course, since they risk terrible injury even when they race under perfect conditions.

Still, in all the races that I've watched over the decades, I can't remember a horse slipping and falling due to a waterlogged track. Anyone else?
Jim Mittler More than 1 year ago
Why did NYRA not seal the track. If I can tell a wicked storm is coming on my phone, surely NYRA could have seen the rain coming. NYRA completely dropped the ball
Bob More than 1 year ago
Why do they insist on racing in upstate New York during the hottest, rainiest month of the year?
Mike Reynolds More than 1 year ago
Here in Jersey, they can cancel the rest of the Monmouth meet and it would be ok.
Bob More than 1 year ago
I couldn't agree more...and that Frank Miramadi can go too!
Union_Rags More than 1 year ago
# 1 Horse safety. Jocks made a solid move.
Bill Keating More than 1 year ago
You are right, of course, that the bet in question was a three horse pick 3. I still don't know why they credited me with a sum worth running the race as if one of my three exacta box combos had come in,
James McGaughan More than 1 year ago
Disaster. The track scene has really lost it's luster.  Played a pick 3 wheel and lost money with the front end.  Get real.
Starks43 More than 1 year ago
First of all exactas and pick 3s are completely different bets. Secondly they paid off on the pick 3 for all those who had winners in races 4 and 5 so no mistake. Finally mistakes sometimes do happen bad karma to try to profit from- to say nothing abt it actually being stealing.
Bill Keating More than 1 year ago
You are, of course, right. It was a four horse pick three bet for races 4-6. And since they deposited almost $300 dollars in my account for the races 4-7 bet,, I was surprised then, as I am still I, that I profited now, for only one of my $2 bet on the three horses as if were only o
Bill Keating More than 1 year ago
I had the first two races of the pick 3 ending in race 6, in an exacta box, a $24 bet. I had the favorite in race 6, which was never run, and was looking for a decent payoff since the winner of race 4 had gone off at better than 5-1. Was I surprised to see that they credited me with $99 for that bet, three times the payoff for a sole $2 exacta ticket. I was wondering whether I should move all the money out before they discovered that they maybe made a mistake.
Larry Wood More than 1 year ago