10/11/2013 1:21PM

Santa Anita: Tyler Baze takes step toward return

Email
Benoit & Associates
Tyler Baze has completed treatment and is exercising horses in Washington.

ARCADIA, Calif. – Jockey Tyler Baze, who has not ridden since June 13, completed a 60-day residency stay at a Southern California alcohol treatment center earlier this week and has traveled to Washington state to exercise horses for an intended comeback, according to his agent, Craig O’Bryan.

Baze completed the required treatment on Tuesday and will spend the next week at the Pegasus Training Center in Washington, O’Bryan said. The jockey is scheduled to have a fitness hearing with Santa Anita stewards Scott Chaney, Kim Sawyer, and Tom Ward on Oct. 19 in an effort to resume riding. Baze turns 31 on Oct. 19.

O’Bryan said Baze exercised three horses on Thursday and was planning to get on six or seven Friday.

Baze was suspended for 120 days in July for failing a sobriety test at Betfair Hollywood Park in June. The suspension, made retroactive to June 13, ended on Thursday. As part of the suspension, Baze was required to complete 60 days of counseling and attend a fitness hearing.

Baze was tied for first in the jockey standings at Hollywood Park at the time of his suspension.

Baze has been sanctioned for alcohol use twice in the last three years. The June failed test was a violation of a conditional license issued in September 2012 after Baze had missed more than a year of riding for failing to take a Breathalyzer test at Del Mar in September 2011.