12/17/2011 1:59PM

Santa Anita: Twice the Appeal almost ready to begin comeback

Email
Tom Keyser
Sunland Derby winner Twice the Appeal has not started since the Kentucky Derby.

Twice the Appeal, winner of the Grade 3 Sunland Park Derby but unraced since finishing 10th in the Kentucky Derby, may start in the $150,000 Sir Beaufort Stakes over a mile on turf on Dec. 26.

Trainer Jeff Bonde said on Friday that Twice the Appeal is “50-50” for the Sir Beaufort.

“He’s been seven-eighths and we’re getting pretty close,” Bonde said of Twice the Appeal’s recent workouts. “Right now, I’m just thinking.”

The Grade 2 Sir Beaufort, for 3-year-olds, is led by Ultimate Eagle, the winner of the Hollywood Derby last month, and Mr. Commons, the winner of the Oceanside Stakes at Del Mar in July.

The Bonde-trained Sway Away will not start in the $300,000 Malibu Stakes on Dec. 26. Bonde said that Sway Away, 12th in the Preakness Stakes in May, is more likely for a comeback in January.

The Factor, who won the Grade  1 Pat O’Brien Stakes at Del Mar in August, will be favored in the Malibu.