04/05/2014 7:44PM

Santa Anita: Tactical ride helps Nashoba's Gold take Providencia

ARCADIA, Calif. - Officially, jockey Joe Talamo rode only one horse in Saturday’s $151,250 Providencia Stakes – Nashoba’s Gold. But his tactics aboard the filly influenced other riders and led to Nashoba’s Gold’s first stakes win in the Grade 3 race for 3-year-old fillies over 1 1/8 miles on turf.

Talamo had Nashoba’s Gold off the rail and behind the leaders going into the turn. He urged Nashoba’s Gold toward the front, and made a move to get in front of Diversy Harbor, the even-money  favorite ridden by Gary Stevens.

Turning into the stretch, Nashoba’s Gold rallied wide, taking the lead while racing in the clear. Diversy Harbor rallied inside between fillies and settled for second, beaten a length.

Nashoba’s Gold ($7.40) was timed in 1:48.06.

“I told Joe it was going to be a jockeys’ race,” winning trainer Carla Gaines said.

The result was a reverse of the minor China Doll Stakes over a mile on March 8, which Diversy Harbor won by a half-length over Nashoba’s Gold.

One More finished third in the Providencia, followed by Margot Machance, Kukaluka, Practising, Tiz Kissable, Soresca, and Savings Account. Full Ransom was pulled up on the first turn and was walked off the racetrack.

Nashoba’s Gold races for breeder Warren Williamson. By Smart Strike, Nashoba’s Gold is a half-sister to the late millionaire Nashoba’s Key, who was trained by Gaines. Nashoba’s Gold has won 2 of 3 starts and earned $139,380.

Gaines expects further improvement in coming starts.

“My filly is maturing,” Gaines said. “She’s just learning.”

Diversy Harbor, who races for Glen Hill Farm and trainer Tom Proctor, was beaten for the first time in the Providencia, her third start. The first two finishers are likely to meet again in the $200,000 Honeymoon Handicap over 1 1/8 miles on May 4, a prep for the $350,000 American Oaks over 1 1/4 miles on turf on May 31.

Dylan More than 1 year ago
She's quickly becoming one of my favorites. Loved her maiden win, her race a month ago was good and suggested there's plenty of improvement forthcoming, she looked terrific yesterday. Can't wait to see where she goes from here, but she's developing into a good one. I remember Nashoba's Key, loved her too, looks like Gold is picking up where she unfortunately prematurely left off.
Elaine Parkinson More than 1 year ago
I remember Nashoba's Key and was saddened by her death... now that filly/mare was a beast on her best days. I remember her moving through on the rail of a race that makes me still shiver. Her sister (half or full, I don't really know) Nashoba's Gold was beaten in her last by Diversy Harbor. I believe Ms. Gaines is correct; this filly is still just learning and this was a jockey's race. There was a moment where I though G Stevens could have moved outside and I think he was teach DH a little something for the future (like if she'll move inside or between horses at the push of a button).
craigb1818 More than 1 year ago
I thought Gary rode a pretty good race. He had to make a middle move at the 5/8 pole because the pace was slow, and tried giving our filly a bit of a breather going into the turn. Talamo had him inside and made sure not to move too quickly, and kept Gary inside. Talamo rode a great race, but it's not like Gary could have gotten out of that spot. They are two good fillies, hopefully they both stay sound and run against each other all year.
jttf More than 1 year ago
these two horses are fun to watch. smart strike was a dirt horse who sired curlin. i thought someone told me that dirt horses dont sire turf runners? foolish info.
Opinion More than 1 year ago
Stevens great ride last time. Talamo,great ride this time .
John Chaussee More than 1 year ago
Smokin' Joe schooled Gary Stevens.