03/03/2013 7:26PM

Santa Anita: Suggestive Boy staying in California for next start

Email
Barbara D. Livingston
Suggestive Boy (right) holds off Silentio by a nose to win the Grade 1 Kilroe Mile.

Suggestive Boy, who has emerged as California’s top turf miler in the last five weeks, is expected to stay in California for his next start, trainer Ron McAnally said Sunday.

Saturday, Suggestive Boy won his first Grade 1 stakes in the United States in the $300,000 Frank Kilroe Mile. Last month, the 5-year-old Argentine-bred won the Grade 2 Arcadia Stakes over a mile on turf.

Suggestive Boy, who gave McAnally his 700th career win at Santa Anita, won three consecutive Group 1 races in Argentina in 2011 before being sent to California.

“He’s the kind of horse we thought he was,” McAnally said.

In the Kilroe Mile, Suggestive Boy closed from fourth in a field of eight to take the lead in the final furlong. He held off a late run from Silentio to win by a nose.

“He ran a big race,” McAnally said. “We went back to the barn to see him and he was cool as a cucumber.”

Owned by Jose Cerillo and Federico Fantini Jr., Suggestive Boy could start in the $300,000 Shoemaker Mile on turf on June 29. Last year, Suggestive Boy was second in the Shoemaker Mile.

McAnally said that Suggestive Boy is likely to stay in California because Interaction, who was second in the Grade 2 San Marcos Stakes on Feb. 9, is a candidate for the Grade 1 Woodford Reserve Turf Stakes at Churchill Downs on May 4. Interaction, 7, is scheduled to start in the $150,000 San Luis Rey Stakes over 1 1/2 miles on turf March 16.

Fantini said Sunday that another leading South American runner will join McAnally’s stable later this year. Di Giorgio, a 4-year-old colt by Star Dabbler, is a Group 2 winner and Group 1 placed in Argentina and will be sent to the United States later this spring.