- DRF Bets
- Handicapping & PPsHorsemen's ProductsReports
Access past performances
- The Wizard
- DRF Gameplan
- Quick Sheets
- DRF Picks
- Today's Racing Digest
- Key Race Report
- Positive ROI Report
- Moss Pace Figure Reports
- Debut Reports
- WE Handicapping Report
- Clocker Reports
Racing and Wagering InformationTools
- DRF EasyForm PPs
- DRF Classic PDF PPs
- DRF Formulator PPs
- DRF HarnessEye PPs
- DRF Daily Harness Program PPs
- Daily Racing Program PPs
- NewsCategoriesTrack Notes
- StorePast PerformancesHarness PPsPackagesDRF PlusREPORTSPICKS
Updated on 01/25/2013 2:42PM
Santa Anita: LaPenta acquires share in Jeranimo; horse will move to Chad Brown’s barn
ARCADIA, Calif. – Six-time stakes winner Jeranimo was partially sold by owner B.J. Wright to Robert LaPenta earlier this week and will be transferred to trainer Chad Brown in the East this spring.
Where Jeranimo starts in the interim was unclear as of Thursday, Wright said.
The winner of the Grade 2 San Gabriel Stakes on turf at Santa Anita in his last start Jan. 13, Jeranimo, 7, is being considered for races such as the $750,000 Santa Anita Handicap on dirt March 2 or the $5 million Dubai Duty Free over about 1 1/8 miles on turf at Meydan Racecourse in Dubai on March 30.
“At this moment, I don’t have a specific race in mind,” Wright said. “The Big Cap is a possibility. I think we need to try him on the dirt, and I don’t think we have anything to lose.”
Jeranimo is currently with trainer Mike Pender in California. Wright said that Pender will continue to train Jeranimo until “mid-spring,” when the horse will be sent to Brown.
LaPenta “likes Chad Brown and I like Chad Brown,” Wright said. “I think Pender is the most underrated trainer around. We feel we will be covered with these two top trainers.”
The terms of the deal were not announced. According to a statement released by a publicist on behalf of Wright, LaPenta acquired a “significant share.”
In a brief statement that he read Thursday, Pender said, “B.J. Wright has been very instrumental to help build a [stable] of Grade 1 winners for me. What priorities are in his best interest, I fully support.”
Jeranimo won the Grade 1 Shoemaker Mile at Betfair Hollywood Park last June. A 7-year-old by Congaree, Jeranimo was sold as a racing and stallion prospect. He has won 9 of 32 starts and $1,197,400.
Wright said the 2013 season could be Jeranimo’s last on the racetrack, pending a conversation with LaPenta.
“When the year is up, we’ll see if we want to keep racing,” he said.
Why put this horse back on dirt when he clearly loves turf. Jeranimo has not raced on dirt since his early career and tackling the handicap horses on a surface he hasn't raced on in a long time might hurt him. Especially since horses are breaking down everyday on that hard surface at Santa Anita. I think the best bet would be to run in Dubai in the Duty Free. Also I thinks he's run on the Tapeta at Golden Gate so maybe he could run in the World Cup but I think the turf is where he wants to be.
Most likely La Penta didn't make a good deal and he will find that out real soon. Stay tuned for this one.
Just what we need here, another leaving CA, is it now CA here I GO ?
It was probably an offer B.J. Wright couldn't refuse. Bob LaPlenta obviously proposed a sweet deal and the man has the cash. Look forward to Jeranimo's career as a stud.
Great horse, especially off a layoff. His last race was huge! We sent in in on him that day and he rolled in the stretch!!!
Guy has a point. Real risk of losing owners, fans, and bettors. For the ones lost by syndicates, you could lose a whole group of owners (that collectively pay the bills). They may not buy another right away (this is the case with me). And the individual owners may have six figures invested that is now lost (money that he/she can't reinvest in the sport). And you can lose the casual bettor crowd brought to tears by the deaths. And someone in Stronach better take notice before a PETA crowd of naked protestors blocks the gates and makes national news, marginalizing the sport and getting legislators and public official's attention. The catastrophic horse injuries are bad all around: bad publicity, bad financially, bad for fan and owner base, and bad/dangerous for jockeys. This seems like the bigger story at SA than some of the stakes races right now. The dirt is actually sand (minor silt/clay) on aggregate that seems to be taking a toll on the front legs, putting lots of miles on the horse ambulance.
Two more horses pulled up and/or vanned off today at Santa Anita..and the DRF and everyone else continues to ignore the issue. Why am I surprised. And people wonder why Horse Racing cannot attract new fans and supporters.
- 1.Posted 12/05/2013 01:44PM
- 2.Posted 12/05/2013 04:54PM
- 3.Posted 12/06/2013 03:20PM
- 4.Posted 12/07/2013 07:42PM
- 5.Posted 12/07/2013 03:42PM