04/10/2013 2:08PM

Santa Anita: Jay Robbins, trainer of Tiznow, retires from training

Tiznow holds off Giant's Causeway to win the 2000 Breeders' Cup Classic. He repeated the following year.

ARCADIA, Calif. – Jay Robbins, who won consecutive runnings of the Breeders’ Cup Classic in 2000 and 2001 with Tiznow, has retired from training, he said Wednesday.

Robbins, 67, said he dispersed the five horses in his Santa Anita-based stable at the beginning of the month, sending four of them to Northern California trainer Jedd Josephson. He said he had been considering retirement “for the better part of the year.”

“I retired officially last week,” Robbins said. “I did it for numerous reasons. I think I’m getting out with some fond memories of the industry in California. I don’t see a lot more of them forthcoming.”

Robbins’s retirement comes in the spring of what is expected to be the final year of racing at Betfair Hollywood Park, which could result in fewer stalls on the circuit to house horses.

“I’m taking one for the team,” he said. “Someone can have my stalls.”

Robbins won 471 races and had purse earnings of $22,725,169 in a career that began in 1971. Robbins is best known as the trainer of Tiznow, the only horse to win consecutive runnings of the BC Classic. Tiznow won the BC Classic as a 3-year-old at Churchill Downs in 2000 and the following year at Belmont Park, despite foot and back problems that plagued his 4-year-old season.

“That 2001 season was more gratifying than the 2000 season because of what he went through,” Robbins said.

The son of Oak Tree Racing Association co-founder and retired veterinarian Jack Robbins, Jay Robbins said he has warm memories of “a number of horses and a lot of people, too.”

Tiznow won the 2001 Santa Anita Handicap. Robbins trained two winners of the Strub Stakes: Nostalgia’s Star in 1986 and Flying Continental in 1990. Those horses had success on other circuits – Nostalgia’s Star won the 1987 Hawthorne Gold Cup in Chicago, while Flying Continental won the 1990 Jockey Club Gold Cup at Belmont Park.

More recently, Robbins’s stable was led by the sprinter Johnny Eves, who won the Grade 1 Malibu Stakes in 2007 and the Palos Verdes Handicap in 2008.

An avid golfer, he said he has no major plans in the short term.

“I’ll have to find something to do,” he said.

Quite A Dude More than 1 year ago
Smart move Jay.. Now put some serious work in on your short game...
mikey More than 1 year ago
"I think I’m getting out with some fond memories of the industry in California. I don’t see a lot more of them forthcoming.” That about says it all....the Tiznows are getting rarer and rarer....have a wonderful retirement.
Leslie Heerman More than 1 year ago
Wow. He babysat for me way back when. I hope he has a wonderful retirement.
dsgsgfsgfgd More than 1 year ago
Say it isn't so, Jay. There's no one I'd trust more to develop a successful racehorse. Enjoy the golf, but you really should stay in the game. l
Frank Kulcsar More than 1 year ago
My best betting scoop ever--2 years in a row--TIZNOW for another scoop hopefully
JeAnna Ramirez More than 1 year ago
Being a Cal-bred myself . . . I want to say a million times THANK YOU for Tiznow !!! Enjoy your retirement . . . . . . .
Bob Rose More than 1 year ago
Jay, you will be missed. You were the prime example that a man can win big races yet remain humble. Sure wish you would hold classes for all the egotistical jerks that try to impress the public into thinking it is them that won, rather than the horse they were lucky enough to have saddled for the race. Your humility was always appreciated by this life long race tracker. Best wishes toward an enjoyable retirement.
Luca Brazi More than 1 year ago
Good luck sir, enjoy your free time. Saw Tiznow Oct 2011 at Winstar and the Champ still looks great. His 2 BC wins against the Giant and Sahkee were thrillers.
Forego137 More than 1 year ago
Good Luck Mr Robbins you were one of the best to ever train and you always took them out of the barn in the afternoon to run not hide them in the barn and make excuses for not running them. perhaps others need to take heed as to how to train and race the horses and stop making excuses for not running
Richard More than 1 year ago
Good luck to Mr. Robbins in all his future endeavors. Tiznow was handled impeccably by him and provided racing with some of its most thrilling moments. Robbins could always get the job done, he just had not been give as many opportunities lately.