Updated on 01/15/2013 10:57AM

Santa Anita: Bejarano, Gutierrez able to ride Sunday after being shaken up in separate spills

Shigeki Kikkawa
Rafael Bejarano was examined and released from a local hospital after going down in a spill early on Saturday's card at Santa Anita.

ARCADIA, Calif. - Three jockeys, including leading rider Rafael Bejarano and Mario Gutierrez, who won the 2012 Kentucky Derby, were hospitalized briefly after being involved in separate spills at Santa Anita on Saturday.

Bejarano, Gutierrez, and Iggy Puglisi were not seriously hurt. Bejarano and Gutierrez were scheduled to ride on Sunday. Puglisi, who was diagnosed with a swollen ankle, according to track officials, did not have any mounts on Sunday.

Bejarano was not injured in the spill and was in the process of being released from the hospital early Saturday evening., approximately three hours after the incident, according to his agent, Joe Ferrer.

Bejarano is the leading rider at the current meeting, with 13 wins.

A Toe By Three was running at the back of the field in a $32,000 claiming race on the hillside turf course when he was injured.

In Saturday’s ninth race, jockey Mario Gutierrez was unseated from Time Goes On when the 4-year-old gelding clipped heels in a $12,500 claimer over 6 1/2 furlongs. Time Goes On was racing at the back of a field when he fell approaching the turn. Time Goes On appeared to lack racing room when eventual winner Chasing the Heat drifted to the inside and Star Navigator drifted to the outside.

While being treated by paramedics, Gutierrez complained of pain in his neck and head, according to track officials.

The stewards conducted an inquiry into the incident, but did not change the order of finish.

Earlier in the day, jockey Iggy Puglisi was taken to a hospital for precautionary X-rays on an ankle after his mount broke down in the second race. Puglisi was aboard Miss Denny in a maiden claimer over 5 1/2 furlongs when the 3-year-old filly sustained a tibia or hind end injury, according to track stewards.

Miss Denny was euthanized, stewards said.