Updated on 09/29/2013 10:44PM

Remington Park: Broadway Empire upsets Departing in Oklahoma Derby

Dustin Orona Photography
Jockey Rico Walcott pumps his fist after crossing the wire first aboard Broadway Empire in Sunday's Oklahoma Derby.

OKLAHOMA CITY – Broadway Empire gave trainer Robertino Diodoro and jockey Rico Walcott the richest wins of their careers Sunday at Remington Park, where he upset 1-5 favorite Departing in the Grade 3, $400,000 Oklahoma Derby.

Departing finished fourth while seeking to win his fifth stakes of the year and his third straight derby following scores in the Grade 2 Super Derby and the Grade 2 West Virginia Derby.

Broadway Empire ($8.80) seized the lead from the start and took the field through fractions of 23.29 seconds for the opening quarter, 46.71 for the half-mile, and 1:11.15 for six furlongs. He went on to win by four lengths over Cameo Appearance, covering the 1 1/8 miles on a fast track in 1:49.44.

“He just dragged me up to the lead,” said Walcott, a 24-year-old native of Barbados. “I got him eased up down the backside and was just cruising and sitting as long as I could. Coming into the homestretch, I asked him, and he picked it up and ran down the lane pretty good for me and finished up, and felt like he could go a little more, because the last race, he ran a mile and three-eighths.”

Broadway Empire had won the Grade 3 Canadian Derby at Northlands Park in his most recent start. Before that race, he won the Ky Alta, also at Northlands. He had blinkers removed for both of those races and again ran without the equipment Sunday.

“It’s definitely helped him to relax a little bit,” said Diodoro, a 39-year-old with divisions of his stable at Turf Paradise and Santa Anita.

Diodoro said Broadway Empire likely would ship Tuesday to Turf Paradise before making his way to Santa Anita. Diodoro said next-race plans are to be determined for the horse.

Broadway Empire races for a partnership of four men from Alberta, Canada: Randy Howg, Bob Butz, Fouad El Kardy, and Rick Running Rabbit.

Cameo Appearance finished second in the Oklahoma Derby, followed by Carve, Departing, Braveman, Holiday Mischief, Texas Bling, and He Has Bling.

Departing raced in sixth early and could not make up ground on the leader. He was beaten 5 1/4 lengths. Al Stall Jr., who trains Departing, said following the race that the horse appeared to have emerged from the start in good order.

Departing’s fourth-place finish triggered a record show payoff on Carve, who returned $76.40, eclipsing the track’s old mark of $47.40. Broadway Empire paid $30 to show, and Cameo Appearance paid $43.60. The show pool for the Oklahoma Derby was $289,595, with $273,377 of that amount bet on Departing.

Remington handled $1,506,202 on its 10-race card from all sources Sunday.

The Oklahoma Derby was run for the 25th time Sunday. It was reinstated as a Grade 3 race this year after being run as an ungraded event since 2005.

thesouthwasright_99 More than 1 year ago
I heard where they did not van in Departing from Louisiana until Friday. That he had a hot tiring road trip. If this is true ? Then poor planning. The horse should have DAYS to rest. I wished I could have seen the pool totals. I liked the winner and Carve.
rahman Williams More than 1 year ago
To bad its fourth place check this time lol
rahman Williams More than 1 year ago
Collect your check. BIg Boy Collect your check, off to the Clark next.
jackdsplns More than 1 year ago
the upset of the year
rahman Williams More than 1 year ago
Oklahoma derby can never be called upset of the teat have you seen participants. The favorite is not a grade one winner.
rahman Williams More than 1 year ago
I meant upset of the year. Before you try to bash me with the English teacher comments.
Tommy O More than 1 year ago
Race within the race was Carve's slow motion late close to nail struggling Departing. Can just hear mental conversation of show bettors. "Ah, he's gonna be second. Well, maybe 3rd. Oh No! Hold On! Ahhhhh. Expletive +++." You had to feel their pain.
Barbara More than 1 year ago
Big show bets usually end the same way with the favorite running fourth. statistically this makes no sense.NO TRACK WILL TAKE THIS HIT! this always stinks to high heaven.
Biggar W More than 1 year ago
If you think that the tracks can decide who runs fourth. Why would you even watch any race? Or, be interested enough to read an article about racing?
John Stevelberg More than 1 year ago
Actually the hit on a minus pool is quite small and when the horse "runs out" the track benefits from the abnormally high handle.
liljock More than 1 year ago
Surprised. Thought Departing would continue along his merry ways sweeping regional derbies.
I finally made a good bet against Bridge Jumpers. Next time I will bet more!
John Doe More than 1 year ago
Thanks "Carve" for running 3rd and thanks to whoever played that huge amount to show on Departing. My measly $40 turned into a nice one!
Mike Dicarlo More than 1 year ago
Gotta luv those idiot bridge jumpers!!!! I laughed so hard when departing got passed for third and wished I could see the faces of those idiot show bettors!!!!