08/10/2012 5:00PM

Racing Hall of Fame: Velazquez and Attfield comments cap emotional ceremony

From left: Trainer Roger Attfield, jockey John Velazquez, and the rider's wife, Leona, share a light moment at the Hall of Fame induction ceremony.

SARATOGA SPRINGS, N.Y. – Class and speed are two of the primary ingredients for success in horse racing. Class and speed were common threads at Friday’s National Museum of Racing and Hall of Fame induction ceremonies at the Humphrey S. Finney Pavilion up the street from Saratoga Race Course.

One would be hard-pressed to find two classier inductees than trainer Roger Attfield and jockey John Velazquez. And there might not have been a faster Thoroughbred to have run in the last two decades than Ghostzapper, the 2004 Horse of the Year, who recorded four Beyer Speed Figures of 120 or higher, including a 128 for his victory in the 2004 Iselin Handicap.

In keeping with the speed theme, the ceremonies – which included the induction of trainer Robert Wheeler, jockey Anthony Hamilton, and the horse of yesteryear, Planet – were conducted in less than 90 minutes. The brevity of the ceremony was due in part to the lack of a keynote speaker as Daily Racing Form’s Steven Crist, scheduled to give the keynote speech, had to skip the ceremony because of the death of his mother, Judith Crist, earlier in the week.

The capacity crowd at the Finney Pavilion – which included 16 previous Hall of Fame inductees – was treated to several brief and – particularly in the case of Velazquez – emotional speeches.

Velazquez, 40, was presented his plaque by trainer Todd Pletcher, who has teamed with Velazquez to win 1,226 races. Pletcher said Velazquez’s induction “raised the bar” for future inductees but not only for his skills and statistics as a jockey.

“More importantly than that to me is he’s a terrific role model, a terrific husband, a caring father, just an all-around really super human being,” Pletcher said, to which the crowd responded with applause.

[HALL OF FAME: Career highlights of the 2012 inductees]

Velazquez, who ranks third all-time in purse money won and who has 4,841 career victories, got choked up on several occasions, first attempting to thank his mother, who was in from Puerto Rico and “who did not want this for my career,” he said.

After having to stop a few more times and once stepping to the back of the podium to say something to master of ceremonies Tom Durkin, Velazquez was joined on stage by his wife, Leona, who stood by her husband’s side during the remainder of the speech, which included some lighter moments.

In thanking his family for their support and sacrifice, Velazquez said, “I missed a lot of birthdays, missed a lot of graduations, the most recent one when my daughter graduated sixth grade.”

When told it was his daughter’s eighth grade graduation, Velazquez said “I just came from a spill, I had a concussion.”

In another lighthearted moment, Velazquez, alluding to the fact that other jockeys are riding regularly now for Pletcher, thanked Pletcher for his support and said “The marriage is still alive, right Todd? We haven’t gotten divorced yet.”

Toward the end of his speech, Velazquez got more emotional when he thanked the deceased Ralph Theroux Sr., an agent who took Velazquez’s book for a second time in 1992 when Velazquez was struggling.

“He put me on the right track where I am today standing in front of you,” Velazquez said. “So thank you, Ralph, I know you’re watching.”

David Willmot, the retired CEO of Woodbine Entertainment and a longtime owner-breeder in Canada has been watching Attfield for more than 40 years. Willmot said that Attfield “has an amazing capacity to train anything to do anything. . . . His love and concern for the health and welfare of the horse is also unmatched.”

Willmot noted how cool it was on June 24 to watch the Grade 3 Singspiel Stakes at Woodbine, when the Attfield-trained duo of Musketier, 10, and Simmard, 7, battled to the wire with Musketier winning by a head over Simmard.

“He knows how to keep a horse happy and how to extend their careers,” Willmot said.

Attfield’s accomplishments include training 44 Sovereign Award winners and having won eight Sovereign Awards of his own as Canada’s leading trainer.

Attfield, 72, thanked the people who worked alongside him over the years as well as the owners who have “entrusted him with their horses and their investments. I have a great deal of respect for them.”

Lastly, Attfield thanked the horses he trained.

“Without the horse none of us would be here. They’re very, very special animals – noble beautiful animals,” Attfield said. “If they’re kept healthy and sound and well they’ll always run their best for you. I think it’s very important that you respect this.”

Attfield sent the most strongly worded message of the ceremonies, saying it saddens him that racing has received so much bad publicity lately, seemingly a reference to reports detailing a perceived drug problem in the sport.

“We’ve got to clean up some of this stuff that’s going on out there, get rid of the rubbish,” the English-born Attfield said. “I feel really, really strongly about it. You only need two or three bad apples in the basket and the rest of the basket is ruined.”

During her acceptance speech for the induction of Ghostzapper, Elfrida Stronach, wife of owner/breeder Frank Stronach, remembered her phone calls with Bobby Frankel, who trained Ghostzapper and who died in 2009.

“I communicated well with Bobby,” she said. “When I called him and say how’s the horse? He would say ‘He’s in good order and he will run very well.’ Then he would somehow switch the conversation to his dogs. . . . I miss Bobby very much.”

Jeff Wheeler accepted the Hall of Fame plaque on behalf of his grandfather, Robert Wheeler, who from 1938 until his death in 1992 won 1,336 races and who trained 56 stakes winners, including the champion Track Robbery as well as Hall of Famer Silver Spoon.

“Statistics stand on their own, but there are three words in particular that come to mind when I think of Gramps,” Wheeler said. “One was honor. He honored his profession. One was respect. He respected his horses above all. He respected his familly, he respected his owners. And devotion to duty. That man was devoted to what he did.”

Sarah Wright, the great-great granddaughter of Planet’s owner, Major Tom Doswell, accepted the plaque for the horse, who won 27 of 31 races in the 1850s.

“I grew up with a picture of Planet hanging on the wall in our home,” said Wright, who added the horse was “a member of the family.”

Anthony Hamilton, who rode in the late 1800s, became the third black jockey in the last eight years – and fifth overall – to be inducted into the Hall of Fame, according to Brian Bouyea, communications director for the Hall of Fame, who accepted the plaque on Hamilton’s behalf.

Richard Gerbig More than 1 year ago
Congratulations to John Velazquez on your induction. It was an honor and a privelege to be there at the induction ceremony this morning. John was so witty, classy and grateful to the members of his personal family and racing family for helping him get to where he is today. His emotional moments when he had to gather his thoughts were truly moving. I hope that John has many more years of racing and avoids the spills that are a risk to all that take a mount for the sake of the horse racing industry. Racing truly needs more diplomats like John to brighten its tarnished image.
Robin Dawson More than 1 year ago
Roger Attfield is a rare horsemen these days...some years ago he trained a Kinghaven (Willmot) homebred, by the latter's good Queen's Plate ('79) winner Steady Growth, called Steady Power. SP was a grinder who, during his lengthy career won over $1 million and got beaten a nose in the Canadian International...a race that Roger still covets. As an 8-y-old SP was on the wane and the owners shockingly forced Roger to run him for 16K...from which he was claimed by Frank Passero Jr. The story goes that the barn was most upset to see their veteran claimed. But the next day, when they arrived for work, they found SP grazing on the lawn, infront of his old stall. He'd escaped from Frank Passero's barn and returned to the only home he knew! This brought about an extraordinary outpouring of emotion, with grooms crying...and Roger phoned the Willmots to tell them that they better buy SP back or they'd need to find a new trainer. SP was returned to base and went on to be a loyal and much loved stable pony, until his unfortunate demise at Pimlico some years later, as a result of an adverse reaction to a vitamin jug. The bottom line is that Roger Attfield is top drawer, but his owners, like many today, just didn't get it.
Thomas Cook More than 1 year ago
ROBIN: Nobody gets this stuff. We need more men and women trainers like this man. So much of the old school class is gone. Folks don't understand that if we treat these horse well, they treat us well. Nowadays they are all just viewed as either good or bad stock. It's a wallstreet mentality that greats such as Roger, Allen Jerkens,Shug, and such need to repair with their influence.
Robin Dawson More than 1 year ago
Thomas..I'm interested that you ranked Roger alongside Allen Jerkins (someone he greatly admires) and Shug, as I would do the same and also include Neil Drysdale.
Thomas Cook More than 1 year ago
Mr Drysdale is tops. Met him once when we raced against him in Mother Goose few years back. Class act. The man I worked for then,now retired, gave him a great compliment."Out of all horseman I run against Neil worries me most. He can set a horse up like no other in the game." We happened to win that day with Jerry Bailey. as luck would have it. But dont' think Jerry wasn't concerned either.
Ray Sousa More than 1 year ago
Attfield kind of said what everybody already knew "there's a lot of rubbish out there".The truth is everybody involved knows about the dopping and cheating yet rarely does someone make a reference to it ,they prefer to act like it does not exist and hope the bettors are not paying attention,but we are,we already know what's going on.more hall of fame trainers should denounce by name others that will eventually get into the hall of fame themselves through cheating.
MaryAnn Donahue More than 1 year ago
To Ray ~ It is doping, not dopping.
Vinod Jhangimal More than 1 year ago
Ahhhh Ray Ray, the day you write something, ANYTHING, positive about this activity, I really do believe that half of the posters on the drf forums will choke on applesauce in disbelief. Since you are a bettor, why don´t you start by naming all of those involved in this nefarious activity. But do so with proof not just innuendo. The fact that, once it is placed in writing, you could get the crap sued out of you may make you think twice before posting anything. That and the fact that you probably don´t have any tangible proof to support your claims of undetected cheating, constant fixing of races, steady stream of jockeys stifling horses and doppleganger owners and trainers. Still, as long as you keep betting and losing only because everyone involved is out to stick it to you, you may continue your rampant blathering about the scourge that is horse racing. Congratulations to everyone inducted (maybe Ray would like to ammend it so that it reads "congratulations to all those indicted") into the Hall of Fame.
Robin Dawson More than 1 year ago
Vinod...you obviously have graduated from the NTRA-backed Joseph Goebbels School of Propaganda. Indeed the same school that Ted Pope eludes to in his excellent article in today's Thoroughbred Times. A school where the culture of fear, that you might lose your stalls, be black-balled at any sale or be sued if you dare spill the beans, silences reality. Shame on you sir...for you know not this trade. BTW...knowing Roger Attfield very well, I know that he could tell you a few horror stories...but why would he, because he's doing very nicely and certainly wouldn't want to rock the boat. So, as Ted Pope says, a completely detached Czar is needed to sort out racing. Someone who does not have a vested interest and is not a personal friend of leading horsemen or racetrack owners. Then each matter will be dealt with without emotion, in a business-like manner that is good for the sport and fans, Does that sound odd?
Vinod Jhangimal More than 1 year ago
Robin, sad to say that I do not dispute the fact that there are cheaters, evil-doers, scourges to racing, etc, etc,etc. My comment has to o exclusively with the fact that almost EVERY single comment by Ray has to do with race-fixing, throwing slime at everyone and questioning everyone´s honour. You imply it as well by saying that Attfield knows horror stories but wouldn´t say it for fear of rocking the boat. I take offense to the fact that you are either cheating or are covering up someone elses cheating. There are honorable people working in this activity. i also believe that the good ones far outweigh the bad ones. The rotten ones, the Rick Dutrow´s, the Ernie Paragallo´s have to be removed PERMANENTLY from the sport. The fact of the matter is this, you have proof, then provide it. Otherwise don´t waste people´s time by just blatherig about it. My reference to him getting sued was not a threat at all. It is reality. I can´t say something like "Robin Dawson is a pedophile" without offering concrete proof and not expect any consequences for having said that. By the way, shame on YOU for saying that the NTRA and/or myselfhas anything to do with Goebbels. As for not knowing this trade, I believe that 30 plus years in this activity does give me just a little bit of insight into this trade. I may not be as enlightened as you, but believe me, that although I have seen my share of less than honourable activity, I do and will continue act in a responsible manner if I am to accuse someone. Thanks for your opinions, they are much appreciated since, by putting it in writing you gave me a chance to be able to defend myself and counter your claims.
Robin Dawson More than 1 year ago
Vinod..you make some good points. The trouble is that I'm as guilty as anyone else who has spent a long time working in a sport or industry. It doesn't matter whether its horse racing or banking, there exists a code that you don't spill the beans on your mates. My main beef is that this culture goes right to the top; and there are people, just like arms dealers who don't want peace, who are quite happy with the way things are. Now, I've pointed out on many occasions that people like Damon Runyon and Dick Francis profited greatly from writing about the intrigue of horse racing. And it is this very element that makes the sport so interesting. I just wish those in charge of the sport's image (NTRA/BC Jockey Club etc.) would realize this, manage it properly, present it better and stop churning out nonsense that nobody believes anyone.
walesfoodmusic More than 1 year ago
got anybody in mind for the czar business ?
Vinod Jhangimal More than 1 year ago
How about either Robin and myself? I could care less about stepping on other people´s toes and from Robin´s comments, I believe we could make a good team and start restoring credibility to horse racing and all its actors.
James Ronan More than 1 year ago
When John Velazquez had his fall down at Keeneland a number of years ago, I had the singular priviledge to drive down there from New Jersey for Arrow Limo to bring him and his wife home where he could recuperate. A very classy young man and an obviously loving marriage, nothing but the best for him and his family
Thomas Cook More than 1 year ago
Congratulations. Two awesome competitors and great role models for this industry.
chad mc rory More than 1 year ago
We should heed the words of Trainer Attfield...