12/29/2014 2:55PM

Rachel Alexandra's son getting ready

Jess's Dream, training at Saratoga, could make his first start at the end of January.

HALLANDALE BEACH, Fla. - Jess’s Dream, the first foal of the champion mare Rachel Alexandra, continues to progress toward his much-anticipated career debut, which could come here in late January, according to trainer Kiaran McLaughlin. Jess’s Dream, by Curlin, arrived at Palm Meadows this month and worked five furlongs in 1:00.25 on Dec. 18.

“He’s doing well,” said McLaughlin. “He’s only had the one five-eighths breeze, and we still have some gate work to do with him.”

McLaughlin will have a barn full of promising 3-year-olds this winter, including Mawthooq, who is among the nominees for Saturday’s one-mile Mucho Macho Man. Mawthooq finished second in his debut going six furlongs before stretching out to a mile to win his maiden by more than 10 lengths over a sloppy surface at Aqueduct on Nov. 20.

Mark Kennedy More than 1 year ago
what about Union jackson any word on his progress
Rosemarie Cola More than 1 year ago
Lets not forget Peppers Prides colt by Distorted Humor is a three year old in2015 and has broken his maiden already in his first start. Know the name, just cant remember how to spell it. Let's wish all these youngsters good luck and safe trips.
ctgreyhound More than 1 year ago
The name is Punctuate.
Michelle Ross More than 1 year ago
The stars children begin their travel to gain notoriety in racing(I hope). Whatever they do I wish them only the best in their career!
Thomas Nicholson More than 1 year ago
Was lucky enough to see Rachel's Woodward at Saratoga. She tossed Calvin Boril in the post parade and then ran one of the most exciting races ever at the Old Spa or anywhere else for that matter. The huge crowd roared to the heavens as she returned to the winner circle.
Fred Reardon More than 1 year ago
I think she was 2-5, and life and death to hold on. So that was a sigh of relief!
FrostyFeast More than 1 year ago
Love that someone tried to downvote that. Did my part to get it out of the red. What a hater that person was to dislike your recollection of one of the more well known exhibitions of heart and talent in recent racing memory.
Ann Maree More than 1 year ago
I'm looking forward to watching both Rachel's colt, Jess' Dream, a la "Taco", and also Zenyatta's colt, Cozmic One, "Coz", in 2015. It will be fun to track these youngsters, and if they do good, great, if they don't, no harm no foul, as they say, but both of these colts will be valuable in the breeding shed, so we don't need to worry about their futures or welfare. For the betterment of the sport, I hope both do well, but both have legacies that would be impossible to duplicate or even live up to. I recall the poem by Priscilla Clark, read by Jerry Moss at the 2010 Eclipse Awards: "If you love Thoroughbred horses you go through life hoping that you can see just one more in whose presence the clouds fall away to reveal the mountaintop. It can take a generation or infinitely longer for such a horse to arrive, a horse that is capable of carrying the human heart. " We all hope for that special "one" to arrive...just once or twice more.
scott More than 1 year ago
thanks for telling us the horse worked but drf gave no info here..... how did the horse work 5 in 1:00.... he start fast and tire home? start in a gallop and pick it up as went along? evenly whole way? was there a gallop out? how was the horse right after, blowing? Thanks for a no information piece drf.
TEDK215 More than 1 year ago
see the drf+ version.
nick More than 1 year ago
I submitted the name " Triple Crown Prince" after his parents. When they held a name the baby contest. I like my name better. I wish him all the luck whether he becomes a champion or just a nice horse.
Jock More than 1 year ago
I think that the name they chose is better. If everyone liked the same things in life over half of them wouldn't be around.
Jim More than 1 year ago
I had the best name of all....LOTTALIVEUPTO
ghost2_ More than 1 year ago
I don't like Triple Crown Prince at all. Besides, it's too long, so you broke a basic naming rule. The limit is 18 characters/spaces.
Meydan Rocks More than 1 year ago
Thank God he has zero idea what his pappy and mama achieved! Oh the pressure he would be feeling now.
TEDK215 More than 1 year ago
what a weird comment. LOL
tommy More than 1 year ago
He had a DECENT WORKOUT !! But just because you have a decent workout does t make you a winner. Other 2 year old horses already had AMAZING WORKOUTS which have won grade 1 races. At best this horse will be winning 100,000 stakes races and will come dead last in graded stakes races unless somehow he can breeze 5 furlongs on dirt in 58 seconds
Mike Reinhardt More than 1 year ago
And a lot of those two year olds with "AMAZING WORKOUTS" probably will get injured and be retired very soon. Lets let McLaughlin do the training and watch from the sidelines, eh?
Jock More than 1 year ago
I like your reply 100% as some people aren't to smart with what they say.
tommy More than 1 year ago
I know, people are jumping the gun saying because he breezes 5 furlong dirt at 1:00.25 he will be winning all these grade 1 races lol. My professor is which I still keep in touch is a 25 year world champion running coach and he even won 2 Olympics as a runner and is going into horse training now because it was his dream! I hear he has a 2 year old breezing a mile and a half @ 1:58 and that the horse runs 5 miles a day for 40 miles a week!
Matthew Hood More than 1 year ago
Wait...did you just say an unraced 2 yr old ran a mile and a half in 1:58? That would crush the world record by almost half a minute.
tommy More than 1 year ago
Yea I know it's amazing!! Basically the physiology behind it is that his jog is our sprint!! So basically when he jogs and you sprint going the same speed, the person sprinting will tire out because you are taxing the anaerobic energy system where as the person jogging is utilizing the aerobic energy system in which can last longer!! Look at the American American guy who broke world record in running in marathon and the beginning stages was able to get 10 miles in just 6 minutes!!! That is faster than a race horse !!
tommy More than 1 year ago
FrostyFeast More than 1 year ago
Looks like tommy just outed himself as a troll. Impossible to be that clueless about, well, anything.
hialeah More than 1 year ago
too smart by half
Donna Carlson More than 1 year ago
That was a nice workout time. I don't think Cozmic One has had been that speedy yet. There are so many of us waiting in anticipation and looking forward to their first starts. Wishing both of them and their connections the best of luck.