Updated on 05/11/2013 11:37AM

Preakness Stakes: Workout for Itsmyluckyday postponed

Tom Keyser
Itsmyluckyday came out of his 15th-place finish in the Kentucky Derby none the worse for wear.

Itsmyluckyday trained well coming into the Kentucky Derby, and, according to his trainer and co-owner, Eddie Plesa Jr., he’s been just as good coming out. It’s what happened in between, though, that mattered most, and, unfortunately for those connected to him, Itsmyluckyday did not run to his potential at Churchill Downs, finishing 15th.

Plesa immediately sent Itsmyluckyday to Monmouth Park, where Plesa – who is based in south Florida – keeps a string of runners for the summer. It was there on Saturday where Plesa hoped to give Itsmyluckyday his final workout before next Saturday’s 138th Preakness Stakes at Pimlico, but wet weather caused Plesa to postpone the work.

“It rained all night, and I think the track was a little on the hard side,” Plesa said Saturday morning by telephone from New Jersey. “I’m hoping to do it tomorrow, or Monday, before we ship out to Pimlico on Tuesday. Or he won’t work, if the weather stays bad.”

[2013 PREAKNESS STAKES: Latest news, video, and more]

Itsmyluckyday did have a routine gallop, but Plesa did not want to do more than that with Itsmyluckyday.

“When it gets wet here, it gets hard,” Plesa said.

Itsmyluckyday had a terrific prep season in South Florida, including a runner-up finish behind Orb – the subsequent Kentucky Derby winner – in the Florida Derby. He made a positive appearance in his gallops leading up to the Derby, looking better as the week progressed. But on the sloppy, sealed track at Churchill Downs, he never got closer than sixth, and steadily faded the final half of the race, finishing 22 1/4 lengths behind Orb.

“He trained too good to run that badly,” Plesa said. “He’s been training the same way here as at Churchill Downs.”

The Preakness field currently numbers 11. Street Spice, fifth in the Illinois Derby, will not run, trainer Greg Geier informed Pimlico officials on Saturday, but the field will include Mylute, whom trainer Tom Amoss confirmed as a starter after the gray colt went through a routine gallop well before dawn Saturday over a muddy and harrowed track at Churchill Downs.

Govenor Charlie, as well as three D. Wayne Lukas-trained Preakness contenders – Oxbow, Titletown Five, and Will Take Charge – also could work Monday at Churchill. Departing was scheduled to work there on Sunday.

Orb, who beat runner-up Golden Soul by 2 1/2 lengths in the Derby, is expected to be made a solid favorite for the Preakness when entries are taken, and post positions drawn, on Wednesday.

Both Kentucky Derby winner Orb and Derby fourth-place finisher Normandy Invasion galloped 1 1/2 miles Saturday at Belmont.

Orb galloped over a sealed, muddy main track shortly after 6 a.m. and again looked happy under exercise rider Jennifer Patterson.

Orb was scheduled to work Monday morning and van to Pimlico later that day.

Four hours later, Normandy Invasion made another good appearance galloping a strong 1 1/2 miles over the back-raked muddy training track under exercise rider Javier Herrera.

For the second time this week, Normandy Invasion made it back to his barn just before heavy rains began to fall.

Trainer Chad Brown has still not decided whether to run or not, but has said the colt would not have a workout even if he decided to run.

- additional reporting by David Grening

Geral John Pinault More than 1 year ago
Jerry Bailey was one of my all-time favorite jocks! He won the Florida Derby on High Fly, but he rode the worst ride ever in The Derby sending Hgh Fly winging in 1:09.4 for the first six furlongs. He finished ffar back... Ever since then I've favored closers in The Derby, winning with great horses like Monarchos, Super Saver, Barbaro and Fuscaichi Pegasus! So when this year's Derby rolled around and we had a stout closer who also won the Fla. Derby it was pretty easy backing ORB... I watched the replay (you should) and he flew around the far turn to draw within range of the front runners. Great horse that ORB!!!
What if it rains at Pimlico, is he not going to run?? Horse should work in the off track, I believe it will help because they may race in it, Duh
D L More than 1 year ago
Obviously this horse wants no part of the classic distances (9.5-12 furlongs). You would think a true horseman (trainer) would have made the same assessment me & many others have made about this horse. He's good but lets point him in the right direction... please! He will have no shot in the Preakness & will drop anchor at the top of the stretch!
ENAMMELD More than 1 year ago
I think his limit is 8.5f. In the Florida Derby he was just off a very slow pace and couldn't close better that :13.08. After that race he was a KD toss for me. In short I'm in full agreement with you and see him as am easy toss.
BRUCE More than 1 year ago
We all know that Itsmyluckyday is a lock to win the Preakness.Everyone else is running for second place.Sorry,Shug.
D L More than 1 year ago
I bet you said the same thing about Itsmyluckyday in the Florida & Kentucky Derby...?
Jd Staton More than 1 year ago
i hope your joking. if your not then you must be new at this game. trust me when you hear someone say that horse is a lock then run the other way cause theres no such thing . trust me
Perl More than 1 year ago
horseplayers are a colorful bunch.
Sandra Swan More than 1 year ago
Glad you'll be in the pool
Horse Cents More than 1 year ago
People talk like a muddy track with a hot pace produces a perfect result and any horses with a poor finish are crap. The talk I hear also would make one think that any horse with a poor finish in the Kentucky Derby is not a quality horse and a throwout in the future. Weird. One example. Hansel was up the track in the Derby, he got bounced around early which he wasn't used to, threw his ears up and sulked. I told anyone who would listen, he wins the Preakness from here to the parking lot. Does everyone really think that, Itsmyluckyday, Verrazano, Palice Malice are really as bad as the Derby result? Itsmyluckyday set a track record at Gulfstream Park, not Sunland, at 1 1/6 mile, not 7 furlongs, but now people think he's only good as a speed horse going 7 furlongs in the Kings Bishop? Silly talk.
Scott More than 1 year ago
I totally agree with you about Itsmyluckyday, but while I think he'll have a much better showing in the Preakness I do still think he is a cut below Orb. I actually think he will finish 3rd in the Preakness behind Orb and Will Take Charge. I expect Orb to win, but of all the horses in this field, I think WTC to have the best chance of beating him.
Gunner More than 1 year ago
My favorite is Snow Chief, wha-what? 11th to first -??? YUP!!! (all acknowledgements are given to that special year of 1986).
Perl More than 1 year ago
the horse doesn't want more than 8.5f horse cents.
ENAMMELD More than 1 year ago
That's my assessment too. He basically showed that in the FD coming the last furlong in 13.08 sitting off a crawling pace.
Horse Cents More than 1 year ago
And you may be right, but remember, in the Florida Derby, 9f it was only Orb that went by him at the 1/16th pole.
Janos Doczi More than 1 year ago
It should be obvious that Palice Malice was TAPS rabbit in the Derby,after running his eyeballs out exactly when do you expect to see him next out?If HE had any chance to win the Derby do you really believe TAP would expose this horse to such a routine? Itsmyluckyday ran the best numbers(thorograph) of any 3 yr old running in any of this yrs. prep races until he meet a MONSTER By The Name Of ORB..Pattern wise,IMLD has regressed from those huge figs. and will be Lucky to win another race this year.As far as Verrazano goes he could not replicate those GP figs. at different venues & his stanima with longer dis.(see Wood Memorial gallop out)The final straw for him was being out worked by a 6 yr. old mare-Authenticity,who by the way won on the Oaks undercard. THEIR is no 3 yr. old colt in training within North America who can beat Orb come Preakness Day,& folks remember his trainer knows how prepare his students,does NOT run in the TC unless the horse is fit for such a challenge, the final leg is where the battle will take place.Orb has a number of factors on his side for the final dance.....The Racing Gods have smiled upon us once again.
Horse Cents More than 1 year ago
Just to be clear, my post was to make a point that apparently according to what I'm hearing is that every horse that finished behind Orb in the mud is now trash. And I think that's ridiculous. It was not to say that I think Orb would have been beaten, or will be in the Preakness or that Lucky will be a great horse at a classic distance. I will say this, Verrazano is better than he showed, and Lucky is far better than he showed in mud.
Grazyna Mianska More than 1 year ago
Very nicely put . I did quite well that year on Hansel in the Preakness . People should not buy into what the so called experts say. Do not be afraid to win at 15 or 20 to 1.
Scott Kromer More than 1 year ago
am i the only one who really doesnt like this horse at all? he doesnt want any part of the distance and hes a gulfstream prouduct...no thanks
Horse Cents More than 1 year ago
Are you insunuating that Gulfstream Park does not have a good meet with good horses? You don't like Lucky as he's a Gulfsteam product but respect Orb who is a also a Gulfstream product? You don't like Lucky's record at Gulfstream but respect Govenor Charlies record at Sunland? You think Lucky's poor Derby finish was distance alone that contributed to that? No doubt in my mind that if you don't like him at all, if not in the Preakness, there will be a time when he beats your obvious even money horse. He's better than you think.
Scott Kromer More than 1 year ago
orb loved new york as well..i never said anything about governor charlie...need to calm down bud...and itsmyluckyday does hate the distance ...his 1 and 1/8 flo. derby illustrated that...even at his favorite track...wasnt even that long of a layoff
Horse Cents More than 1 year ago
Orbs last three races and best races were at Gulfstream. But he's not a Gulfstream product as you say. At 1 1/8 miles in the Florida Derby, it was Itsmyluckyday that Orb had to run down at the 1/16th pole, but he hates a 1 1/8 as you say. Orb was the horse to beat in the Derby, he won, he's a better horse at longer distances. But now Lucky is not a quality horse is just weird.
Mark Scheider More than 1 year ago
Verrazano and Orb are Gulfstream products as well. They look pretty good to me.
Geral John Pinault More than 1 year ago
Scott, the Derby winner came from Gulfstream winning their Derby! How can you knock The Gulf when the best jocks ride there in the winter???
Jason Kassa More than 1 year ago
Flashed some brilliance at a Mile and at a Mile&1/16. Hope to see it again with this guy. Thought he looked like potential big time power-sprinter, to point for races like the Kings Bishop.
Rafael Torres More than 1 year ago
Don't know if it means much but when handicapping the KD, I noticed that in IMLD past performance he has won all his races when racing on a short rest. won 6/23 on 22 days rest, won 8/25 on 20 days, won 9/15 on 21 days, won 1/1 on 17 days, and 1/26 on 25 days. In Fla. Derby made winning move and caught off +60 days. if you draw a line through KD off +30 days, IMLD can surprise off 14 days rest. Having JV riding won't hurt either.
Mark D More than 1 year ago
Nice pick up....thank you.
Scott More than 1 year ago
IMLD really doesn't have a good distance pedigree, but he certainly isn't just a sprinter either. I still think 3rd is the best you can hope for with him in the Preakness.
Rafael Torres More than 1 year ago
Being realistic Don't see Orb losing, however there is no fun betting a 2-1.
Jarod Blade More than 1 year ago
You sir are a complete fool, 2-1 is not even close!!!
Rafael Torres More than 1 year ago
Nice, The morning line is 7/5. Let me know where I can mail you the $1.20 difference.
Mark Scheider More than 1 year ago
No horses have exceptional Tomlinson numbers beyond 1 1/8.
Mark Scheider More than 1 year ago
Good catch.
Paul Solomon More than 1 year ago
Just leave the horse at Monmouth Mr. Plesa don't waste your time or itsmyluckyday's time going to Md. He'll just get hot and dirty again.
michael stapler More than 1 year ago
I saw where your pick finished. Don't give advice.
Horse Cents More than 1 year ago
make sure you play your Preakness tickets exactly how they finished in the Derby. That will guarentee you a winning ticket then.
Mark Scheider More than 1 year ago
It'smyluckyday is better than he performed last Saturday. He can be in it late with Orb at Pimlico. It's not like he's.........Geldedcents.
Jerry Sabo More than 1 year ago
Looks to me like Plesa is guessing, and thats not good for the horse.
Horse Cents More than 1 year ago
Guessing that he doesn't like mud and wants to work him on a better track? And that tells you that Plesa is a poor trainer and is somehow not good for the horse. It just gets weirder and weirder.
Richard Holmes More than 1 year ago
He's not guessing. It's not hard for a trainer to tell how his horse is doing. He knows his horse is training well. I don't know if the horse wants to run this far but I would expect him to run his race this time.
Sandra Swan More than 1 year ago
DRF ran an article a few weeks ago saying Plesa was undecided about this horse's final 2 Derby works. I posted that it was a major red flag for me that Plesa was guessing with his pre-Derby plans and it looks like he is still guessing. He should stay home. I'm out.