05/16/2013 2:19PM

Preakness Stakes: Pimlico's Carulli taking handicapping to Las Vegas


BALTIMORE - Frank Carulli received a rousing round of applause at the Preakness draw at Pimlico on Wednesday, when he revealed his final set of morning-line odds for the second leg of the Triple Crown. Carulli has been the oddsmaker and racing analyst for Pimlico and Laurel since 2002, but he will vacate his post at the end of June to move to Las Vegas.

“I’m semi-retired, I guess you could say,” said Carulli, 51.

[2013 PREAKNESS STAKES: Latest news, video, and more]

Carulli said he is taking about two years off to recharge and plans to make his permanent home Las Vegas. In time, he would like to become a certified card dealer, particularly for poker. But for the immediate future, Carulli has set aside a bankroll to operate as a professional gambler and plans to focus on sports betting.

“It’s something I always wanted to do,” he said. “At least that’s what I’m going to try to do.”

Carulli said among the factors that played into his decision were minor health setbacks.

“I had a few issues the last couple of years,” he said. “My energy level is down a little and I just need a break. I want to get away, get refocused and get re-energized, and go from there.”

Carulli said he has no real plans to get back into racing.

Carulli’s final Preakness line had Orb as the even-money favorite and Mylute as the second choice at 5-1. He said the decision to make Mylute a price lower than some expected is due in part to the presence of jockey Rosie Napravnik, who had previously been based in Maryland.

“I thought about it a couple of days and the more I thought about it I kept thinking, ‘They’re going to bet Rosie,’ ” Carulli said. “I took a shot. When she rode Pants On Fire, she was crushed in the wagering. And last year Preakness week, I lowered most of her mounts from what I normally would have had them and they were still lower than I had.”

Carulli is a native of Pennsylvania who was the racing analyst at Charles Town in West Virginia for five years before coming to Maryland.