Updated on 05/21/2012 12:25PM

Preakness 2012: I'll Have Another runs down Bodemeister to keep Triple Crown hopes alive

I'll Have Another (left) outfinishes pacesetter Bodemeister to win the Preakness Stakes. He will go for a Triple Crown sweep in the Belmont Stakes on June 9.

BALTIMORE – I’ll Have Another. And another. And another?

I’ll Have Another, the Kentucky Derby winner, added the 137th Preakness Stakes at Pimlico to his win streak Saturday, setting up a Triple Crown bid in three weeks in the Belmont Stakes on June 9 at Belmont Park.

As he did in the Derby two weeks ago, I’ll Have Another caught front-running Bodemeister in the final yards to prevail, but the Preakness was far closer, far more dramatic, and, for I’ll Have Another, even more impressive.

Bodemeister got away with much saner fractions than he did in the Derby, leaving him with more in reserve for the stretch run of a race that is 110 yards shorter than the Derby. But I’ll Have Another, again ridden flawlessly by Mario Gutierrez, wore down Bodemeister in the final yards to win by a neck.

As in the Derby, Gutierrez was riding in the Preakness for the first time.

The excellence with which the top two ran was underscored by the fact they finished 8 3/4 lengths clear of third-place Creative Cause, giving California-based 3-year-olds a sweep of the top three spots. And I’ll Have Another completed 1 3/16 miles on the fast main track in 1:55.94, an excellent time over a surface that played deep and tiring all afternoon. The preliminary Beyer Speed Figure was a lofty 109.

[PREAKNESS STAKES: Replay, chart, complete postrace coverage]

Joel Rosario, rider of Creative Cause, rode in the race despite finding out earlier in the afternoon that his brother, a police officer in the Dominican Republic, had been killed in a traffic accident.

Zetterholm was fourth in the Preakness and was followed, in order, by Teeth of the Dog, Optimizer, Cozzetti, Tiger Walk, Daddy Nose Best, Went the Day Well, and Pretension.

Doug O’Neill trains I’ll Have Another for owner Paul Reddam. He has won all four of his starts this year and has won 5 of 7 lifetime.

“I can’t put this into words,” O’Neill said. “What a horse. Mario was so patient. I’m numb.

“It seemed like he’s been riding this racetrack his whole life,” O’Neill said of Gutierrez. “He’s so patient, and he kept him out of trouble.”

I’ll Have Another ($8.40) was much shorter than the 15-1 price he was in the Derby, but he was still the second choice to Bodemeister, who was favored in the Derby and was the 8-5 favorite in the Preakness. I’ll Have Another had been at Pimlico for 12 days and had looked sensational in his gallops in the days preceding the race.

“He came out of the Derby unbelievable,” O’Neill said. “He handled the track great every day.”

It was a gorgeous afternoon at Pimlico, with high temperatures in the low 80s, very little humidity, and a comfortable breeze. The attendance was announced as 121,309, which would be a record.

The crowd let out a cheer as the gates opened. Bodemeister went to the front and set fractions of 23.79 seconds for the opening quarter-mile, 47.68 seconds for a half-mile, and 1:11.72 for six furlongs. By comparison, he ran the first six furlongs of the Derby in 1:09.80.

[PIMLICO SATURDAY: Stakes results and replays for Preakness undercard]

Creative Cause was his closest pursuer at that point of the Preakness, with I’ll Have Another, who was three paths wide on the first turn in fourth place, continuing with an outside path down the backstretch and into the far turn.

Bodemeister began to draw away from Creative Cause at the top of the stretch, but then I’ll Have Another kicked into gear. He was three lengths behind with a furlong to go.

“I didn’t feel confident he was going to get there until 10 yards from the wire,” Reddam said.

“Those are the kind of races you hate to lose,” O’Neill said. “When you win – yelling at the top of your lungs, and see your horse in front at the wire – it’s incredible.”

Neither Bob Baffert, the trainer of Bodemeister, nor Mike Smith, who rode him, offered any excuses.

“I felt pretty good about where he was,” Baffert said. “The fractions were more reasonable today. He just got a little late. And the winner’s a good horse. He’ll get the respect he deserves.”

Said Smith: “He ran brilliant. I asked him to run, he opened up, laid it down, I said, ‘There’s no way he catches me.’ I wasn’t folding at the end. He just caught me, it’s that plain and simple.”

Baffert has seen enough of I’ll Have Another for now. He said Bodemeister would not run in the 1 1/2-mile Belmont.

“The bus stops here,” he said.

In the Belmont, I’ll Have Another will be attempting to become Thoroughbred racing’s 12th Triple Crown winner, and the first since Affirmed in 1978. The current drought is the longest since Sir Barton swept the Derby, Preakness, and Belmont in 1919.

Among those expected to face I’ll Have Another in the Belmont are Dullahan, who was third in the Derby; and Union Rags, who finished seventh in the Derby after a rough trip. Both skipped the Preakness to await the Belmont.

“We’re thinking Triple Crown, baby,” O’Neill said. “He’s a special horse.”

O’Neill, who since the Derby has been subjected to national scrutiny over his record of medication violations, understands the attention will become more pronounced leading up to the Belmont.

“We know we play by the rules,” said O’Neill, who might very well point to I’ll Have Another winning the Derby and Preakness – Triple Crown races in two different states outside his home state of California – as Exhibits A and B.

– additional reporting by David Grening

shallspeak More than 1 year ago
Whips should be banned.
jaypowers4 More than 1 year ago
job well done team another
steve szymanski More than 1 year ago
Where's ANDY BEYER? Bode, Bode, Bode. Pretty much have to pick him in the Belmont to get even, huh? ............By daylight. Ha!
John Burton More than 1 year ago
I said it before and I'll say it again: The Reddam Team and IHA are a team of destiny! The Racing Gods smiled upon them long ago and brought them all together at this time, in this place. The fruition of their journey will occur on June 9th. And when they cheer, all persons connected with the thoroughbred horse racing industry will stand-up and cheer with them. It will be a great day for racing - one sorely needed. A shinning moment of greatness echoing the great moments of its past and its honored horses and horsemen.
Berni More than 1 year ago
on a further ..there is another Million Dollar Race Tomorrow...these Pint size Crooks do not give a chytt ...see Jean Cruget ..7 consecutive odds on OFF the Board ...that J.Leparoux another one ..see his Stats on chalk ...all OFF the Board with a French Smile ...see his ride on I'll have Another ...its a JOKE to these Napoleon Complex thieves..
Berni More than 1 year ago
Ever Watch a Horse Race ? 3 or 4 are TRYING with whips etc ...the REST going to a Sunday Social ....Horse Racing is Legalized Thievery and it Breeds Corruption ...there is NO EXCUSE for the Snail Fractions, is Micheal Smith grinning or grimacing ..are we all Moles ..we need a Race Caller to help us SEE..? 60 years in the game ..my connections tell me Superfectas 5 days BEFORE the RACE ....the game is DYING for SURE ....I posted Race fixing News Articles on a Race Track Bulletin Board ...and was threatened with eviction by Security and State Police .....they do not want you to know ...17% and 25% outake in taxes ...on your buck bet ....GET IT .?..!! I did ....PS HIT the pick 4 cold ...2,5.3.9 ...paid $233.10 for 50 cents
John More than 1 year ago
The greatest Belmont and maybe greatest race ever (for me) is real quiet/victory gallop duel, i hope this belmont is somehting liek that
Greg Rouch More than 1 year ago
Maybe you are too young to have lived through Secretariat's Belmont. No suspense about the winner, true, but so flabbergasting that there is no comparison. And what about Rags to Riches? That was my favorite Belmont of recent years. As for favorite race, Cigar's win in inaugural (I think it was) Dubai World Cup is a good candidate. One of the most stirring and dramatic races (thanks in part to superb race call) I ever saw was Maktoum's Fantastic Light vs. Galileo in the Irish Champion Stakes. Talk about a stretch duel - wow!
Brian Taylor More than 1 year ago
Don't forget Affirmed v. Alydar (78) or Bold Forbes hanging on by a desperate neck (76)
Grass Is Greener More than 1 year ago
Secretariat's Belmont was a total fluke of a race. It only happened because it was a 5 horse field and his only serious rival made a tactical miscalculation.
Janice More than 1 year ago
Fluke? Fastest time ever....ever. Secretariat was in his own race. 31 lengths . Sure there was only 5 horses but his time has never been approached.
Grass Is Greener More than 1 year ago
The track was souped up, track records at Belmont Park were falling left and right the weeks surrounding the Belmont Stakes in 1973. Later that year when the track slowed some, a horse named Prove Out ran 2:25:80 for 12f when he beat Secretariat pulling away leaving Secretariat in the dust. That is still the second fastest 12f time ever. The time records at Belmont Park in 1973 come with an asterisk like the home runs hit by Barry Bonds, Mark McGuire and Sammy Sosa etc.
T Cs More than 1 year ago
to all the Kentucky bred snobs, California wannabes, New York elitists please google---marion county kentucky derby-- and find out where the Championship horses are from. The first story will set anyone straight
James More than 1 year ago
Flower Alley stands stud at Three Chimneys Empire Maker stood at Juddmonte, but i believe Bodemeister is technically a VA bred Giants Causeway stands at Ashford
T Cs More than 1 year ago
A baseball player is born in Iowa moves to Oregon when he is 10 days old becoming all state baseball player then goes to college is all american at Oregon, Gets drafted by New York traded to LA and then gets forced to retire in Iowa. How much claim does Iowa have in ithat player? Is Oregon just meaningless?
James Turner More than 1 year ago
yeah, unless your a beaver.Why would he get forced to retire to Iowa? Seems he would have a choice in the matter.
Gee More than 1 year ago
DULLAHAN IS GOING TO BE TOUGH!!! WELL SEE HOW HE WORKS AT THE BIG SANDY. TRIPLE CROWN HOPES R IN THE SKY WAY HIGH. HOPE IT DOES'NT RAIN???
Andrew More than 1 year ago
A. Dull not so much . B. Homey- spare them capital letters. Don't be the spaz screaming in the elevator! CHILL
Greg Rouch More than 1 year ago
Right. Slop may be IHA's biggest opponent and Dullahan may be next biggest.
himmelle More than 1 year ago
More breaking news: Beyer just assigned a 124 to the plane that took Bodemeister back to California and a 92 to the van that took I'll Have Another to Belmont Park where he will win the Triple Crown!!
Andrew More than 1 year ago
Bode Baffert crapped on the plane. Beyer gave his flush a 130. That squat will win the Breeder's Cup and travel back in time and lap Secratariat' in the Belmont. I'll Have Another 'adequately' wins the Triple Crown for the 'unsophisticated ' fans and bettors. Pace did favor The Unstoppable Bodemeister as he rested in his stall in California!!!