05/19/2012 8:26PM

Preakness 2012: Gutierrez keeps his cool

Mario Gutierrez holds aloft the Woodlawn Vase in the center of the Preakness winner’s circle celebration.

BALTIMORE - Paul Reddam, the owner of Kentucky Derby winner I'll Have Another, admitted to thinking if ever there was a time his 25-year-old jockey Mario Gutierrez may get a little nervous it would be just before Saturday's Preakness Stakes at Pimlico.

"I would think if you win the first Grade 1 of your lifetime in April and you win the Derby in May if there's any time you would have been flappable it would have been going into today's race," Reddam said.

But when he saw Gutierrez joking around with Doug O'Neill, the trainer of I'll Have Another, just before getting legged up for Saturdays 137th Preakness, he knew his fears were unfounded.

And the unflappable Gutierrez gave I'll Have Another a second straight terrific ride, guiding him past Bodemeister in the shadow of the wire to win the Preakness by a neck and set up the opportunity for racing's first Triple Crown in 34 years in the June 9 Belmont Stakes.

"I have to tell you he was very loose before being legged up by Doug, and I think Doug helped out by joking around," Reddam said. "Now the pressure is going to intensify. . . . Look, there are a lot of horses that have been in this position the last 15 years, and it didn't happen for them. We're only two-thirds there. We got to be cool, including the jock. We're going to tell him to block everything out and when we get to the Belmont, just ride his race. And if it happens, it happens."

[PREAKNESS STAKES: Replay, chart, complete postrace coverage]

Everything has happened so fast for Gutierrez, a native of Veracruz, Mexico, who first came to the United States in 2005 and who had been riding in relative obscurity at Hastings in British Columbia before coming to Santa Anita in for 2011-12 winter-spring meeting. He was given the mount by Reddam and O'Neill aboard I'll Have Another and he has ridden him to four consecutive stakes victories and to the precipice of a Triple Crown.

For his part, Gutierrez said he's going to put the pressure to the side and just keep believing in the horse.

"I want to put the pressure a little bit on the side because the horse has earned all this," Gutierrez said.

"He never got a lucky trip. He's an amazing horse and I'm just happy to be riding him."

Gutierrez said his confidence in I'll Have Another - and the confidence Reddam and O'Neill have shown in him - have made it easy to stay cool, calm and collected under the glaring spotlight. Also, Saturday, he had several members of his family from Mexico at Pimlico.

"I know the horse is a great horse, he makes me [very] confident," Gutierrez said. "I got family coming from Veracruz where I grew up. They saw me when I didn't have anything. Those kinds of people, they keep believing in me, they put so much confidence in me. It's just great to have those kinds of people. I think I've been really lucky."

Lucky perhaps, but Bob Baffert and Mike Smith - the Hall of Fame connections of Derby and Preakness runner-up Bodemeister - think Gutierrez is quite good as well.

"Mario Gutierrez, he had him in a really good spot. I was watching him the whole race," said Baffert, who watched the Preakness on a television in Pimlico's saddling paddock. "The kid was just sitting chilly on him. I was hoping he would chase us a little bit, but he refuses to chase Bodemeister. He's a good horse and that kid really rides him with a lot of confidence."

Said Smith:  "He's a brilliant young rider; he fits this horse to a T. He's very, very patient and he rides a good race, and there's room to improve. Scary isn't it?"

Lucifer More than 1 year ago
Good things happen to good people--go team I'll Have Another--I'm a Believer and hs has the right style vfor the Belmont. NO RAIN Weatther gods.
earl More than 1 year ago
Super Mario would credit Victor Divala first for I'll Have Another. Thats how humble Super Mario is.. I ll Have Another is a great story
charles mcgee More than 1 year ago
IHA seems to be a very strong horse. I will be pulling for him in the Belmont.
Melvin Boone More than 1 year ago
I LOVE HORSE RACING AND I HAVE TO SAY THIS KID MARIO MAKES THINK HE COULD BE THE NEXT ANGEL CARDERO!! GO MARIO
tts More than 1 year ago
For those who think that the pressure might get to Mario, did see the NBC telecast? In all my years of watching racing I've never seen a jockey lounge on the rail like that just before mounting in a huge race. Even the NBC commentators started laughing when they saw that. He looked like he was about to get on a nice Sunday ride, yet you could see his eyes were uuber focused. He's not super Mario, he's Mario Ice. This man has super star jockey written all over him yet he's still so humble. How can you not cheer for a guy like that?
chad mc rory More than 1 year ago
! QUE BUENO, MARIO !
floydbeatsmannyanyday More than 1 year ago
Oh My God!!! I did a little research on I ll have another,, He is undeated with Super Mario aboard,,,and get this ,,,his last lost he had Leparoux how funny is that??????
Willian J. Brune More than 1 year ago
Michael Matz isn't laughing.
Ernesto Crosby More than 1 year ago
Que la Virgen Morena y la gente de Hastings te ayuden a ganar la Corona Triple.Suerte
chuckles m More than 1 year ago
If Mario can give I'll Have Another a ride just like Jeremy Rose did on Afleet Alex, he will still get beat by UNION RAGS :-)
littlelouis99 More than 1 year ago
isn't chuckles the name of a clown?:-)
Leroys Caddy More than 1 year ago
Union Rags is nothing. The horse is bred to a be miler and thats what he is. Get use to it chuckles the clown
floydbeatsmannyanyday More than 1 year ago
Union Rags is the least of IHA fears,,,,,better hope their isn't a Birdstone bred horse in the Belmont
Willian J. Brune More than 1 year ago
Llike maybe Street Life?
st More than 1 year ago
Creative Cause is the only horse I can see upending IHA
chuckles m More than 1 year ago
Creative Cause will not run in Belmont.
Ian Broomfield More than 1 year ago
Either will Union Rags if he's smart
chuckles m More than 1 year ago
I really wanted to see him in the Preakness. If the horse can get the distance, it will come from the dams side thats for sure. In the Floriday Derby, after he got uncovered and started to run, he was striding out nicely and way clear of the field as they galloped after the race giving a indication that he was still running but 12 furlongs, hard to say. I do not think Bode is going to Belmont but expect him in the Haskell.
Grass Is Greener More than 1 year ago
You mean after Tom Durkin goes, "I'll Have Another just ran by Union Rags like he was standing still!"?
Betany Caballero More than 1 year ago
Jerry Bailey doesn't seem to want to give Mario credit. He harps on the wide turns--which in the SA,, KD, and Pr may be how IHA typically takes them. I wouldn't imagine you can do a whole lot about a horse that flings out with the centrifuge with out slowing him down. On the other hand, Gary Stevens spoke well of him.
littlelouis99 More than 1 year ago
bailey's just an old snob,he's been long time retired and probably belongs in a rest home.mario gives the horse his head and doesn't disrupt the way the horse is traveling. that is a sign of a great rider.knowing what's under you and NOT hindering his travel.