12/17/2013 12:05PM

Palm Meadows training delayed due to police pursuit

The training track at Palm Meadows opened an hour later than normal on Tuesday morning after two men who had stolen an ATM from a nearby bank in Boynton Beach crashed their getaway vehicle on the grounds of the training facility around 4:30 a.m., track officials said.

Deputies from the Palm Beach County Sheriff’s Office attempted to pursue the men through the grounds of the training facility, but according to track officials were unable to locate them. The ATM was recovered at the crash site.

The training track opens at 6:30 a.m. at Palm Meadows, but horses were not allowed out on the track until 7:30 on Tuesday. The track remained open an hour later than usual to compensate horsemen for the lost time.

“Palm Beach County police chased the flatbed truck down Boynton Beach Boulevard and up Lyons Road, after which the truck turned into our facility and crashed through the gate,” said Palm Meadows general manager Gary Vandenbroek. “They continued on and made the second left into our dormitory parking lot. When the driver attempted to make another turn as he was approaching the racetrack, the truck flipped over.”

Vandenbroek said the two men abandoned the truck and fled.

“They must have left the track grounds and headed east toward the turnpike,” said Vandenbroek. “They probably went across the canal and were able to get away.”

Rob More than 1 year ago
I have been buying the racing form for 47 years I will not buy that rag booklet they call the newspaper that covers the sport of kings disgrace ful
Walter More than 1 year ago
How much can one get from a stolen ATM?
Horse Cents More than 1 year ago
2 to 4 in county jail.
Lawrence Vaccarelli More than 1 year ago
wow ..someone must be sleeping at drf...comment showed up...first in 2 months plus....all over comments I made and none untrue about a certain breeder with a kitten for a stallion.
Lawrence Vaccarelli More than 1 year ago
I haven't bought the form since they continued to moderate my comments...lmao brisnet is fine
ya I used to come to this site every day now I just cruise through occasionally. too many other websites offer the same and more for free. I am even going to stop buying the form now just because I believe economics speak better than forum comments. yes its a business they can charge what they want, but "gouging" customers has repercussions
Michael Pollard More than 1 year ago
Name some of the free sights if you wouldn't mind.
Vinod Jhangimal More than 1 year ago
Heyyy, I got my post about the crooks stealing the ATM to pay for the DRF+ monthly fees taken down. What happened DRF? Now we need to pay for you guys to have a sense of humour? Is that also now exclusive to DRF+ members?
Daniel Alvarado More than 1 year ago
You noticed how they brought down the price from $8.95 or something to $3.50?...LOL! I'm glad people haven't given into this crap and hope they continue to NOT subscribe...DRF+ what a joke!
Matthew Ellis More than 1 year ago
It was a terrible marketing job and almost a petty blackmail ( if you want to read pay $$) No description or value in the membership pricing. I thought we paid thru DRF form purchases for the last CENTURY ! It made me want to seek an alternative to get information. A real turn-off
Horse Cents More than 1 year ago
Nice Vinod. Daniel, they didn't lower the price, they raised the price. It was $8 and change a month if paid a year in advance. Now the monthly price is shown as 5 a week, which of course is $20 a month. The 3.50 is per week, or 15 a month if paid a year in advance. Insanity. The business theory is if no one buys, raise the price. Vinod, they may have a bit of a sense of humor, but unlikely they ever get the jokes.
Daniel Alvarado More than 1 year ago
OK I see...well either way I wouldn't know that cause I was never even tempted to seek details about this DRF+ BS...the info on these DRF articles isn't something that I can't get anywhere else anyway.
Horse Cents More than 1 year ago
Been saying that on day one and with you 100% as are the majority.
Daniel Alvarado More than 1 year ago
For me being from south Florida...this isn't news at all. This is actually the third straight year I've heard some ATM being stolen during the holiday season down here.
they will need it to eat at gulfstream
Matthew Ellis More than 1 year ago
Yes pretty pricey ! The buffet is ridiculously priced for a parimutual site.
[removed] More than 1 year ago
This comment has been deleted
Amy Hurley More than 1 year ago
Good one! The sad thing is, here we all are reading some stupid story about thieves crashing at a training track, simply because the stories we REALLY want to read are blocked to 99% of DRF's readers.
Jd Staton More than 1 year ago
they wanted to play a pick six. lol