05/12/2005 11:00PM

Out of the Will prepped and ready

Email

OCEANPORT, N.J. - Trainer Tim Kelly feels the anxiety that comes with running a horse he believes will perform well.

Sunday, he will saddle Out of the Will in the $60,000 Open Mind Handicap for New Jersey-bred fillies and mares at Monmouth Park.

Out of the Will is one of the favorites in the field of 11 going six furlongs. She makes her third start of the season, giving her a potential fitness advantage over her rivals who are making their first or second starts of the year.

"I think I have an edge," Kelly said. "It's my job to have them ready. I hate going to races like this where you think you're supposed to win. It doesn't always happen. Things still have to go your way."

began her 2005 campaign in a pair of turf sprints. In her first start April 16 she finished eighth at long odds in the Bob Slater Stakes at Gulfstream Park.

"It was a very tough race, and we were basically using that as a prep for here," Kelly said. "We got the cobwebs out."

The second start was a trouble-filled allowance race at Atlantic City Race Course. Out of the Will rallied three wide to miss by a neck.

"She ran a super race down there," Kelly said. "She hit the gate and got off bad. She came back bleeding from her mouth."

will be one of the obstacles in Out of the Will's path. Cigno d'Oro also made her season debut in the Bob Slater, where she got off slowly and finished sixth.

"We ran in that little stakes on the grass just to get a race into her before we came up with this spot in mind," Durso said.

Out of the Will and Smart N Classy are the highweights at 118 pounds, and Cigno d'Oro carries 117.

Return of the pick six - at $1

After a decade-long absence, Monmouth brings back the pick six for all weekend and holiday cards. The wager comprises the last six races on the program.

The pick six is a $1 bet with 75 percent of the pool paid out for tickets with all six winners. The remainder of the pool will provide a consolation payoff for tickets that have 5 of 6 winners. If no one picks all six, 25 percent of the pool will be paid to ticketholders with the most winners. The other 75 percent will carry over to the next pick six offered.