04/02/2013 9:39AM

Oaklawn Park barn fire extinguished without any injuries

Email

HOT SPRINGS, Ark. - A small fire in barn 2 at Oaklawn Park on Tuesday morning was quickly extinguished and there were no injuries to humans or horses.

The fire broke out between 6:45 and 7 a.m. in one of the upstairs sleeping rooms, according to David Longinotti, assistant general manager for racing at Oaklawn.

The horses were evacuated as Oaklawn maintenance crew members began putting out the fire. They were then joined by members of the Hot Springs Fire Department. The firetrucks left the stable area just before 8 a.m. Tuesday training was only briefly delayed.

“The fire marshall thinks that it was caused by some clothes being too close to a space heater,” said Longinotti. “It could have been a whole lot worse.

Horses will gradually be moved back into the barn, according to Longinotti. The barn houses horses for a number of smaller outfits and ponies for some outriders.

Bellwether4U More than 1 year ago
Thank Goodness...
Cindy Albrecht More than 1 year ago
So very glad everyone is all right.
Babette Cade More than 1 year ago
using the heater for a clothes dryer?