03/12/2013 10:56AM

Oaklawn: My Miss Aurelia headed to Azeri

My Miss Aurelia was being considered for the Grade 1, $300,000 Santa Margarita at Santa Anita or the Grade 3, $150,000 Azeri at Oaklawn.

ARCADIA, Calif. - My Miss Aurelia will make her first start of the year on Saturday in the Grade 3, $150,000 Azeri Stakes at Oaklawn Park, trainer Steve Asmussen said Tuesday morning.

My Miss Aurelia also had been under consideration for the Grade 1, $300,000 Santa Margarita Stakes at Santa Anita, also to be run Saturday. The Azeri requires My Miss Aurelia to carry 119 pounds over 1 1/16 miles. In the Santa Margarita, My Miss Aurelia would have carried 123 pounds over 1 1/8 miles.

“It is the right spot to start her year,” Asmussen said.

My Miss Aurelia has not raced since finishing third in the seven-furlong La Brea at Santa Anita on Dec. 26. Prior to that, she was second to Royal Delta in the Breeders’ Cup Ladies’ Classic.

My Miss Aurelia, 4, was the champion 2-year-old filly of 2011. She finished second in voting for champion 3-year-old filly of 2012 to Questing.

John More than 1 year ago
Seems like she is ducking someone at Santa Anita?.......less money, .......Asmussen hasnt been exactly burning up Santa Anita this winter either, so I guess, good move !
Cindy Albrecht More than 1 year ago
OAKLAWN fans
Jordan More than 1 year ago
The big question about the Azeri is whether Bayakoa winner, Don't Tell Sophia, will run. She could be as good as any horse in the Santa Margarita. And even without Sophia, I would expect Tiz Miz Sue and She's All In to run, and they are just about as good as Joyful Victory. Curious decision to ship for less money and a lower grade against similar competition.
Forego137 More than 1 year ago
I seriously doubt MMM will overtake Royal Delta this year. I'll never happen Royal Delta is all class and very gifted miss MMM will always be a cut below her period.
Brandon Layer More than 1 year ago
MMA should be a monster this year. At some point this year she'll overtake Royal Delta ad the best female in America.