05/01/2014 2:25PM

Normandy Invasion scratched from Alysheba Stakes

Normandy Invasion trains at Churchill on Wednesday. He was scratched from the Alysheba with a quarter crack Thursday.

LOUISVILLE, Ky. - Trainer Chad Brown scratched Normandy Invasion from Friday’s Grade 2 Alysheba upon discovering his horse had sustained a quarter crack injury after training Thursday morning at Churchill Downs.

“He had a routing gallop this morning and went terrific,” said Brown. “But when he was cooling out, I noticed he’d popped a quarter crack on the outside of his right front hoof. We had the option of putting a patch on it and running him tomorrow. But after speaking with Mr. Porter [owner Rick Porter], it was decided we did not want to run a horse who was  not 100 percent for the race.”

Brown said Normandy Invasion, who set a one-mile track record earlier this winter at Gulfstream Park, would return to New York where he would be pointed for the Grade 1 Met Mile on June 7.

“It seems to be a minor issue but the timing is terrible,” said Brown. “We’ll put a patch on and monitor the horse back home. He had an abscess on the sole of his foot last year, but he’s never had a quarter crack issue before. But it’s fixable, it’s a long year and if everything is okay, I’ll just train him up to the Met Mile.”

Normandy Invasion was one of four members of last year’s Kentucky Derby field entered to run Friday in the 1 1/16-mile Alysheba. His defection leaves a field of eight older horses led by Eclipse Award winner Will Take Charge.

What happened to him? -JG
WTC looked horrible winning his last race. Very tired. I would avoid him like the plague in The Alysheba.
jon g More than 1 year ago
N.I is so overrated. Still eligible for alw nw3 ?
Matthew Pribble More than 1 year ago
If N.I. could just have a 6 month injure free period I think he could really show his true talent. Very frustrating got all. I agree that he would have handled WTC tomorrow.
I don't blame Rick Porter for scratching for two reasons. First and foremost, taking care of his horse and second for the poor treatment he received from CDI management.. If you haven't read the story, you should. Eye opening
Ian GW More than 1 year ago
Smart move not worth it. I love this horse win's the BC and should have won the derby.
Joe Rockhold More than 1 year ago
Too bad as he was about to defeat Will Take Charge.
GuyFleegman1 More than 1 year ago
BoughPena More than 1 year ago
NI seems to be injury-prone. Good luck !!
Laura More than 1 year ago
don' worry, I'm sure he'll still go to stud (remember, Porter has put several chronically unsound sons of the unsoundness king, Unbridled's Song, to stud)
chad mc rory More than 1 year ago
Dammm, this poor Colt just can't catch a break.
Ron Rios More than 1 year ago
3 years from now this horse will be running and still have not won a graded race...
mikeg More than 1 year ago
Idiotic comment. After he wins one I'm sure you will be nowhere to be found in the comments section.
Greg Claud More than 1 year ago
but you have to give it to him a bit. He made a statement before the fact. Unlike most posters usual...dribble... Don't listen to Beyer or Serling or anyone else who gives an opinion before a race, without giving his own. Who knows maybe he will show up and say. whoops. I got that one wrong, but I wont hold my breath after every stakes race he wins that Ron comes back and posts of a video of him eating his hat.