Updated on 09/16/2011 8:43AM

No kid-glove treatment for Toccet

Email
Jim McCue
Toccet wins the Laurel Futurity by 6 3/4 lengths three weeks after running ninth in the Breeders' Cup Juvenile.

OZONE PARK, N.Y. - If all goes well next spring, Toccet will have to run three races in five weeks at three different racetracks. If all goes as planned, it will not be the first time he will attempt that difficult task.

Having bounced out of his 6 1/4-length victory in Saturday's $100,000 Laurel Futurity so well, Toccet is now being pointed to the Grade 2, $200,000 Remsen Stakes at Aqueduct Nov. 30.

"He came out of the race fine," trainer John Scanlan

said Monday from Laurel. "It wasn't hard on him, I can tell you that. Sunday, he was really, really well, and today he was better."

Scanlan said he would normally give Toccet three days off after a race, but he planned on sending him back to the track on Tuesday after only two days walking the shed row.

Toccet ran in the Laurel Futurity three weeks after finishing ninth in the Breeders' Cup Juvenile, where he broke from post 13, a huge disadvantage going 1 1/8 miles at Arlington Park.

"The Breeders' Cup was like a half-mile breeze," Scanlan said. "It's not like the jock beat him up."

The Remsen would be Toccet's second trip to New York this fall. On Oct. 5, he won the Grade 1 Champagne at Belmont. The Remsen, run at nine furlongs, would also give Scanlan and owner Daniel Borislow an idea how Toccet would handle Aqueduct, which next April 13 hosts the Grade 1 Wood Memorial, a key prep for the Kentucky Derby on May 3.

The Derby is followed by the Preakness at Pimlico on May 17 and the Belmont Stakes on June 7.

The Remsen, which has produced Kentucky Derby winners Go for Gin and Thunder Gulch, is shaping up an intriguing race. Also slated to run are Empire Maker, a heavily hyped colt trained by Bobby Frankel who won his debut at first asking at Belmont, and Soto, who is 2 for 2 for trainer Michael Dickinson. Soto was scratched out of the Laurel Futurity because of the sloppy track.

Aquilino weighs options for No Parole

No Parole had been competitive in graded stakes going long, but he still seems best suited to sprints. He proved that again on Sunday, rallying from well back to win a second-level allowance race at 6 1/2 furlongs. He covered the distance in 1:17.40 over a sloppy track.

Now trainer Joe Aquilino and owner Thomas Mina must figure out what to do next with No Parole, who had gone 0 for 5 since winning the Mike Lee Stakes at Belmont in June.

Aquilino mentioned three possible stakes for No Parole: the $100,000 Queens County Handicap at 1 3/16 miles at Aqueduct on Dec. 7; the $100,000 Kenny Noe Jr. Handicap at seven furlongs at Calder on Dec. 7; and the $100,000 Pete Axthelm Stakes at 7 1/2 furlongs on turf at Calder on Dec. 21.

In his only try on turf, as a 2-year-old, No Parole finished sixth, beaten only four lengths by Miesque's Approval in the 1 1/8-mile Pilgrim Stakes.

Aquilino said he and Mina ruled out the Grade 1 Cigar Mile because it would probably come up too tough.

Aquilino said the only thing he liked about the Queens County was that it was at Aqueduct and he wouldn't have to ship.

Hall and Arroyo split up

Max Hall, a veteran jockey agent, has split with rider Norberto Arroyo Jr. and returned to his home in Boston in order to spend more time with his family. Hall said he wanted to watch his four grandchildren - ages 2 to 7 - grow up.

"It's just time to go home," Hall said Monday. "I miss my family."

Arroyo was the leading rider in New York in 2000 with 188 wins and was the runner-up for an Eclipse Award that year as the nation's leading apprentice. As of Monday, Arroyo did not have a new agent.

Arroyo has twice been in trouble with the law, though Hall said that had nothing to do with his decision to leave. Arroyo is still facing assault charges stemming from a pool hall incident in June.

"He's going to be cleared of that," Hall said. "He's a gentleman. He's a real nice kid, he's not a troublemaker in any way. To me, he's been like a son. I'm very proud of him."

Hall, said he may look for a rider next year on the Suffolk Downs- Rockingham circuit.

"I'm not retiring, I'm just going home," he said. "I'll be home for the holidays, which to me will be a great present.'

Lang tops in Challenge

Rick Lang, former lead handicapper for the New York Post, won the first-place prize of $26,300 in Aqueduct's $60,900 Fall Handicapping Challenge. Lang was best of 203 contestants in the two-day event held over the weekend.

Lang, currently an analyst for New York City Off-Track Betting, on Saturday hit a $20 win wager on Uriah ($18.60) and a $40 win bet on Caught in the Rain ($66.20). Win bets had a 15-1 odds cap. On Sunday, Lang won a $20 place bet on Classic Endeavor ($15.40). He finished with a bankroll of $980.

Peter Parella ($925) finished second and won $8,000. He was followed by Sebastian Diaz ($918), who earned $5,000, and David Guttfreund ($874), who earned $4,000.

All four will head to Las Vegas in January to compete in the $200,000 Daily Racing Form/National Thoroughbred Racing Association National Handicapping Tournament in Las Vegas.