01/22/2015 4:15PM

No injuries in Belmont tack-room fire

Email

OZONE PARK, N.Y. – No horses or humans were hurt when a tack room caught fire in Barn 12A at Belmont Park on Wednesday night.

According to New York Racing Association officials, clothing left on a wall-mounted radiator caused the fire. Ontrack security personnel and the Elmont Fire Department responded.

Eighteen horses are stabled in the barn. The tack room belonged to trainer Luis Miranda, according to NYRA spokesman John Durso.

Durso said the total damage incurred is estimated to be less than $1,000.

“Our sprinkler system worked exactly as it was intended, and we are grateful that there were no injuries reported,” Durso said. “We are appreciative and grateful for the quick response of our security professionals, as well as our local first responders.”