07/19/2016 10:42AM

No appeal of Delaware Handicap outcome

Hoofprints, Inc.
I'm a Chatterbox wins the Delaware Handicap, with Paid Up Subscriber (left) rallying for second.

Trainer Al Stall Jr. said Tuesday morning that he and majority owner Seth Klarman have decided not to appeal Paid Up Subscriber’s second-place finish Saturday in the Delaware Handicap. Paid Up Subscriber, owned by Klarman’s Klaravich Stables and William H. Lawrence, was bumped at the start of the Delaware Handicap when winner I’m a Chatterbox broke in and crowded rivals.

"We're just going to move forward and concentrate on the next race," Stall said.

I'm a Chatterbox won the 1 1/4-mile Delaware Handicap by 2 1/4 lengths, but she also bobbled at the start and ducked inward from post 4 bumping Milaya (No. 3) into Money'soncharlotte (No. 2). Paid Up Subscriber, who had the inside post, was bumped hard in the chain-reaction collision. After regaining her balance, Paid Up Subscriber rallied to finish 4 1/4 lengths clear of third-place Penwith.

Although it was not communicated well to the public immediately after the race, the Delaware Park stewards confirmed Monday they had conducted an inquiry into the start of the race. Ricardo Santana Jr., the rider of Paid Up Subscriber, also lodged a claim of foul against I'm a Chatterbox and her rider, Florent Geroux.

After reviewing the video of the race and speaking with both riders, the stewards ruled the order of finish would stand.

The stewards in their daily log of the Saturday races, which was filed with the Delaware Racing Commission, explain their reasoning this way: "After talking to the riders involved and reviewing the films of the race the #4 does break in pushing the #3 and #2 into the #1.  As a result of breaking in and the rider on the #4 having to take up and being behind the #1 at that point, along with the #1 never losing stride, the Stewards could see no reason to take any action and made the race official."

I'm a Chatterbox and Paid Up Subscriber could meet again in the Grade 1, $750,000 Personal Ensign at Saratoga, a 1 1/8-mile race for fillies and mares on Aug. 27.

Paid Up Subscriber is stabled at Saratoga, and Stall said she would be considered for the Personal Ensign and then for the Grade 1 Spinster at Keeneland on Oct. 9.

Trainer Larry Jones also confirmed he would look at the Personal Ensign as a possible next start for I’m a Chatterbox.

Harvey Buchbinder 8 months ago
On another racing forum I had been attacking the Delaware stewards' decision not to disqualify Chatterbox for interference at the start, BUT now, after reading the steward’s explanation quoted in the column -- that the #4 did not gain an advantage nor did the #1 lose stride, I see my somewhat  knee-jerk ‘Bayern” reaction was unwarranted and I wish to, in the popular political parlance of the moment, to ‘pivot' to supporting the Delaware stewards’ decision.
David Krasnoff 8 months ago
the Watergate defense by the del. park stewards. how do you not post the inquiry sign when you are doing an inquiry in a grade one race?
slewofdamascus 8 months ago
They were never going to win an appeal, but sometimes just the act of doing it can provide momentum for better decision-making down the road. I think the decision is indefensible (like Bayern) and make no mistake, folks, the races are decided under a much more wide-open, wild-west atmosphere where the jockeys can not only get away with fouls that used to get them taken down (and days, as well) but they can get away with not riding out their mounts for the best possible finish. The jockeys have far too much influence over how the races are run, because there is virtually no regulatory-authority which really holds their feet to the fire - go to almost any other racing jurisdiction, Hong Kong, Australia, Japan, and jockeys face extreme scrutiny; for example, if a horse who usually shows speed is not persevered with out of the gate the jockey is brought in to explain, that's the level to which they are held to account and I think it's sorely missing here - especially if you understand the kind not power jockeys have to choreograph outcomes by creating pace set-ups
which do not adhere to the form coming into the given race. This is a fact. I knew a jockey at GGF very well (he introduced me to the game), almost 30 years ago now, and he was adamant about they way jockeys could control outcomes.
slewofdamascus 8 months ago
let me add that one cannot be thinking about these things when one is ready ti fire a wager in there - I am speaking extemporaneously in the above comment. This is not something I allow myself to worry about or even think about in the process of searching for value-laden winners.
Robert 8 months ago
Colliding has only been allowed several jumps out of the gate.  No shock.
Gary Stewart 8 months ago
I guess the stewards applied the Baffert rule "first few steps out of the gate don't count".

nicholas 8 months ago
classy move by classy connections--unlike the three blind mice at delaware park
TEDK215 8 months ago
I guess its just the status quo for the DRC and So Cal racing to see these races the same way, like what Bayern got away with. its not what u know but....