07/09/2009 11:00PM

Newfound Man looking like wise buy


VANCOUVER, British Columbia - Trainer Blaine Wright showed a lot of patience when he was at the Washington summer yearling sale last September. He was there with owner John Maryanski, and they waited until Hip No. 100 made it to the sales ring before stepping up to the plate.

Their patience paid off. Wright, Maryanski and his wife, Janene, bought Newfound Man for $36,000, and the colt appears to have a bright future. Newfound Man is a contender in the $50,000 River Rock Resort Stakes for 2-year-olds at Hastings on Sunday.

"I passed up a lot of horses, and Mr. Maryanski was getting a little antsy," said Wright. "He was my pick in the sale, though. I told him not to worry and that we were going to buy the horse we want."

Wright was pretty high on Newfound Man before the colt made his debut in a 4 1/2-furlong maiden special weight race at Emerald Downs on May 25. With Gallyn Mitchell aboard, Newfound Man broke sharply from the rail and then just kept widening, romping to an 8 1/2-length win.

"He was pretty much well in hand the whole way," said Wright. "We thought he was a pretty nice colt all along, but we didn't anticipate him blowing them away like he did. Gallyn slapped him the first or second jump to get him out of there, and he just kind of widened."

Because of the virus that has been going around the Hastings barn area, Wright was debating whether to bring Newfound Man up from Emerald. He would have liked to run him at his home track, but the first stakes race for 2-year-old males there, the $30,000 Strong Ruler Stakes July 18, is for Washington-sired horses. Newfound is a Washington-bred, but his sire stands at Brookdale Farm in Kentucky. Wright shipped him to John Snow's shed row on Tuesday.

"Our intention was to run at Hastings, but when the virus hit we thought we better look at another spot in case things kept going the way they were," said Wright. "John said things were dying down a bit, so we decided to test the waters here before we try anything else with him. John runs out of my barn when he comes to Emerald, and so we have a good partnership going."

Wright wasn't thrilled about drawing post 10, which could mean a tough trip, especially going into the first turn.

"Somebody has to get it," he said of the post. "He falls out of there pretty quickly, though, and he has really moved forward since his first start."

Wright sent a string of horses to Hastings with his father, Richard, last fall. They had success, winning 5 races from 22 starts. He was considering running a split stable between Emerald and Hastings this year, but his plans were scuttled when his dad came down with prostate cancer.

"That obviously set us back," said Wright. "He had surgery and everything is looking good. He's back riding his pony and he is really doing well. He loves coming up here, and normally he would have made the trip, but he said he would have been too bored with just one horse, so he stayed home. He could come back when we bring some horses here after Emerald winds down."

At loose ends on the backside

It was a wild and wacky morning at Hastings on Thursday. It seemed like every time you turned around a horse was getting loose, either on the track, or on the backstretch.

Trainer Dino Condilenios is still recovering from the shock of seeing arguably the best horse on the grounds, Teide, running loose in the barn area. Teide, who is trained by Condilenios, scored an impressive win in the $100,000 Lieutenant Governors on July 1.

"He reared up and got loose when he was being unsaddled back at the barn," said Condilenios. "I was watching another horse train and was shocked to see him loping towards the track. He was thinking about coming onto the track, but fortunately he had other things on his mind. He tried to mount one of Troy Taylor's ponies, and when that didn't work he went after one of John Snow's ponies. We finally cornered him and luckily there was no harm done. I think I caught three loose horses on Thursday."

Condilenios said Teide is being pointed to the Grade 3, $300,000 Longacres Mile on Aug. 16.

Trainer Carl Lausten said that an unnamed 2-year-old filly he trains is none the worse for wear after jumping the rail, landing in the drainage ditch and then running around the infield for about 20 minutes before she was caught. She spent a lot of time running around what used to be the training track but is now seeded over with grass.

"We might have to try her on turf," said Lausten. "She really seemed to be enjoying herself out there."