07/05/2014 8:27AM

Napravnik back on horses after injury

ELMONT, N.Y. – Talk about a fast healer.

Jockey Rosie Napravnik, who suffered a shoulder separation in a spill during a morning workout June 16 at Churchill Downs, was back on horses Saturday morning at Belmont Park and plans to return to race riding next weekend. Napravnik said she is scheduled to ride a couple of stakes races July 12 at Arlington Park and will spend the summer at Saratoga, a meet that begins July 18.

On Saturday, Napravnik got on five horses for trainer Mike Maker, for whom Napravnik’s husband, Joe Sharp, is the New York-based assistant.

“Everything’s good. Today’s my first day on horses, so it’s all good,” Napravnik said between sets. “My goal is to ride at Arlington next weekend.  So as long as everything goes well, I’ll get on horses the next couple of days. That’s where we’ll be.”

Napravnik, 26, was in the midst of a terrific season at the time of her injury. Despite missing the last three weeks, she ranks eighth nationally in purse earnings with $6.367 million and 11th in wins with 125. She has won 21 stakes, including the Kentucky Oaks aboard Untapable. Despite missing the last part of the meet, Napranvik still finished in a tie for second in the Churchill Downs standings with 31 wins and had a gaudy .323 winning percentage.

Napravnik credited doctors at the University of Louisville – specifically Dr. Raymond Shea – with fostering her quick recovery.

“I was amazed. It was very painful in the beginning, but the recovery progressed every day by leaps and bounds,” Napravnik said. “They really hooked me up good with trying to get me back. Luckily, with [only missing] three weeks, the fitness is not gone yet.”

Paul Gibb 11 months ago
good luck in all your races
Anonymous 12 months ago
She's NOT one of the tracks favorite jocks to fix races in the stretch. Its reported that she doesnt always cooperate when given the signals. Once she gets on board with the fixing, she'll do fine.
Bellwether4U 12 months ago
She better hope she doesn't get in that boat...In the very near future all this Animal Abuse/Drugs and Race Fixing in 'The Game' is in for a very RUDE AWAKING... I for one think she hasn't come close to tapping her full potential...Welcome back Rosie and Good Luck!!!...
Mark Deckert 12 months ago
You have intelligence of a rock. What you know about inside racing could fit on a pinhead. Hint pinhead...
Anonymous 12 months ago
Makin $ 300k a year bro. What does you do now bro?
Walter 12 months ago
Are you making it on horse racing?
Vince Lentini 11 months ago
Sure you are.....yet you can put a grammatically correct sentence together.
Anonymous 11 months ago
Thats just to throw you off... I, in fact, use excellent grammar when in the midst of people who can identify with such. However here on this drf forum, i recognize my audience and their limitations to understand. So I bring it down to your level. Feel better bro?
Mark Deckert 11 months ago
That reply just confirms my earlier post, total pinhead.
Anonymous 11 months ago
Jealous much? Your $50k a year not that bad bro.
nick 12 months ago
She is an excellent rider in all respects male or female. And in my opinion she is the best girl rider of all time, surpassing Julie Krone.
Vince Lentini 11 months ago
Did you see krone ride....Rosie is a solid rider period
DANCERS1FAN . 12 months ago
So glad you are doing better so quickly! Be safe!
Lefty 12 months ago
A lot of of Horse Racing Types talk her up as a wonderful jockey. I think she is just okay. While, I am happy that she had a quick recovery, I really do think she is a middle of the road jockey. At least that's the way I feel about it! I can't wait for the pain to rain down like a monsoon via the down arrow on this one. =P Still, I feel it needed to be typed/said.
Vince Lentini 11 months ago
I agree
Patricia Doyle 11 months ago
Sometimes the horse has a lot to do with winning. There is a horse at Parx who I like, says a lot in his name, "blame the jockey," It is easy to blame the jockey when we lose and we usually credit the horse with a win. I don't like to judge jockeys after all they all risk life and limb when they go out, the good ones and the not so talented ones.
RandomNameMeToo 11 months ago
Then don't bet on her horses. But to come here and make snotty comments on an article that is about a jockey's recovery from an injury is just low-class and reflects poorly on YOU, not on the rider.
Matt Banchero 12 months ago
Russell Baze will out ride her
Mark Deckert 12 months ago