07/31/2012 1:52PM

Mountaineer: Hansen ready for West Virginia Derby

Tom Keyser
Hansen, a heavy favorite in Saturday’s West Virginia Derby, will have his tail painted blue for the race.

Hansen has been assigned post 9 as the heavy favorite among a field of 10 3-year-olds entered in the $750,000 West Virginia Derby, the Grade 2 race that will be run Saturday for the 43rd time at Mountaineer Park in Chester, W.Va.

Hansen will be ridden by Mike Smith in the 1 1/8-mile West Virginia Derby, replacing regular jockey Ramon Dominguez, who is committed to ride instead at Saratoga. Le Bernardin, winner of the Grade 3 Pegasus at Monmouth Park in his last start, drew post 7 and will be ridden by Mike Luzzi as the logical second choice to Hansen.

Kendall Hansen, the majority owner of the colt he named for himself, said Tuesday on a national teleconference that he wants the West Virginia Derby to serve as “another building race for Hansen” leading up to his major summer objective, the Aug. 25 Travers Stakes at Saratoga.

Hansen, a striking, nearly white colt, will race with the tip of his tail painted blue, a move that his owner previously attempted in New York and Kentucky before being rebuffed by racing authorities. Hansen said he was informed last week by West Virginia officials that he is being allowed to paint the colt’s tail for the West Virginia Derby. Trainer Mike Maker said the tail will be painted Thursday before the colt is sent on his six-hour van ride from his home base at the Trackside training center in Louisville, Ky.

[WEST VIRGINIA DERBY: Get PPs and watch Saturday's full card live]

“I’m just doing this for fun and for his younger fans,” Hansen said.

Some six hours before entries were drawn Tuesday for the race, Hansen had his final breeze at Trackside when going an easy half-mile in 52.20 seconds over a fast track. Clocker Richard McCreery caught the colt in splits of 12.80, 26.40, and 39.40, with a five-furlong gallop-out time of 1:06.40.

Maker said he intended the move to be “about as slow” as it was. In his only start since finishing ninth in the May 5 Kentucky Derby, Hansen was a 10-length winner as the 1-10 favorite in the June 30 Iowa Derby at Prairie Meadows.

“He’s already fit, and we know he’s fast,” Maker said. “It was just a little maintenance breeze, as they say.”

As the winner of the Breeders’ Cup Juvenile last fall, Hansen is the only horse in the field eligible for a $150,000 bonus in case of a victory. The race conditions provide for the bonus to a horse with a Grade 1 win. If Hansen wins, the total winner’s share will be nearly $600,000.

Mountaineer usually conducts racing in the evening, but first post every West Virginia Derby Day is 2 p.m. Eastern. The big race goes as the eighth and is set for 5:45, with television coverage being provided by selected Fox Sports regional networks on a one-hour broadcast from 5-6 p.m.

A nine-race Saturday card will consist entirely of stakes races, with the richest secondary race being the $200,000 West Virginia Governor’s Cup Stakes (race 7) for older horses at 1 1/16 miles. Other notable undercard races include the $100,000 Mountaineer Juvenile (race 1) and $100,000 Mountaineer Juvenile Fillies (race 4), for which trainer Garry Simms has the probable favorites in Circle Unbroken and Blueeyesintherein, respectively.

Lucifer More than 1 year ago
What a cool looking colt--the great white.
mike More than 1 year ago
Cant wait to watch the race......was hoping to see Hansen run at Charles Town last month! Best of luck Dr Hansen.
Kendall Hansen More than 1 year ago
Wow, great blog!!....65 posts....I feel horse racing is starting a big up swing.)) I want to thank all for this discussion. It gave me the great idea to name Hansen's 2 year old brother after the other side of my family. His name will soon be "Gunderson". http://blogs.courier-journal.com/hansen/2012/08/01/hansen-34-brother-gets-named-gunderson/
TheAPIndy More than 1 year ago
Dr. Hansen - Best of luck to my great-grandson Hansen. He is good for the sport.
Bsb Jaws More than 1 year ago
Good for you Doc . My daughter is named after a racehorse that was a speed horse too. ;-) She wasn't in Hansen's league ,but she won 11 out of 33 in the 80's. She wasn't my horse ,but she was kind of an ATM for me while her namesake was in the womb.
TEDK215 More than 1 year ago
how do we know u are who u say u are? after all, this is the internet! all due respect.
TEDK215 More than 1 year ago
I checked that site out Kendall and it appears you are the real deal. thanks for posting the site as well! I always like to look at other TB sites besides the drf and see other points of view. Good Luck in the WVD and God Bless to all TBS in your care!!
Steve Schnell More than 1 year ago
My only question is... are you bringing the "lovely" ladies that you had with you at the Ky Derby to Mountaineer? If so... well, I'll be at Newell tomorrow! lmao!
Bsb Jaws More than 1 year ago
I'm down with you Doc. He's your horse. If he was mine and my trainer tried to flak me in any way I'd take him from him in a heartbeat and give him to another trainer. You're the boss ,he's just another replacable employee. Your horse makes the trainer the trainer doesn't make him. Anybody could do well with that horse. You should dye his mane & tail with permanent dye and tell these stronaching stronach holes to kiss your sweaty onions . It ain't their horse !! You should paint flames on him like a hotrod. Bring him to California next year and give him to a good trainer . I'm backing you down the line on this & I'm 52 yrs old & a 40 yr track bum. BSB
Bsb Jaws More than 1 year ago
Btw , there isn't anything wrong with having an ego and the only people that think there is don't have anything to have an ego about.
chad mc rory More than 1 year ago
Yep, he could take him right to you in cali - and leave him there...
Bsb Jaws More than 1 year ago
Cali is in South America moron.
david More than 1 year ago
About the only part of your post that isn't laughable is where you admit to being a bum.
Thomas Cook More than 1 year ago
Is that the advice you give to your clients?? Cause I for one would take the halter and leather lead and walk my horse cross country to get as far from you as possible.
Bsb Jaws More than 1 year ago
I don't have clients. I don't suck a day rate from anyone. I earn my money at the track the honest way.
Jim Pitura More than 1 year ago
Paint Mike Smith red and you have the Red White and Blue
Dogs Up More than 1 year ago
Got to thinking about grown ups wearing rubberized cheese triangles on their heads at NFL games, or painted faces at Basketball games, mob fights 'after' soccer games, fan section wearing their colors en masse, and a guy who already plans to race his colt at 4yr and five is getting flack for trying to attract attention to the dying game crying for a new fan base.
Sean Ali More than 1 year ago
You're talking about the fans, not the professional athletes !
Scott K More than 1 year ago
Mike Smith's agent deserves a raise the way Mr. Smith is picking up live mounts everywhere these days...
Frank More than 1 year ago
Hansen is a good horse going 7-8.5 furlongs. Remember he has not won beyond that in 2 attempts -- this is no shoe in this week. And as far as you blue sky Travers believers -- forget about it. I doubt he will even be entered. I do like how they picked this spot to confirm the distance for this horse one last time. He is a beautiful horse and deserving champion. However, the owner is a egotistical jerk.
mrm More than 1 year ago
If Alpha belongs then Hansen belongs.
Ronnie Malo Rodriguez More than 1 year ago
If Alpha can wire the field in the Jim Dandy, and Paynter doesn't make it into the Travers, I believe Hansen can wire the field for the Travers. Smith has to get him to relax if thats possible.
Ronnie Malo Rodriguez More than 1 year ago
Hansen should run in the Travers, even if Paynter runs, he's gonna show he belongs at the top of the 3 year old division after winning the WV.
sat.customer More than 1 year ago
They are doing right by the horse. He ran in a classic,it didn't work out,now they are bringing him along for the Breeders Cup and hopefully to stick around for next year.I wouldn't even run him in the Travers.How many horses have done anything after winning the derby anyways in the last 10+ years