08/24/2013 6:06PM

Monmouth: Valiant Girl up by a head in Omnibus

William Osborn/Equi-Photo
Valiant Girl, ridden by Forest Boyce, holds off Parranda by a head in the Omnibus.

OCEANPORT, N.J. - Valiant Girl held off Parranda by a head on Saturday to win the $61,800 Omnibus Stakes for fillies and mares going about 1 3/8 miles on the turf at Monmouth Park.

It was the second win in six starts, and first career stakes victory, for the 4-year-old Valiant Girl  since joining the Graham Motion barn at the end of last season.

Valiant Girl, ridden by Forest Boyce, started her career 1 for 5 in her native England.

The 11-furlong distance was a question mark for most of the fillies in the Omnibus. Only Seanchai owned a prior win at 1 3/8 miles.

As expected, Seanchai set the pace in the three-turn race. Boyce nicely settled Valiant Girl into fourth, hugging the fence. Rare Event took on Seanchai on the final bend, creating an opening for Valiant Girl to slip off the rail with a three-wide bid. Valiant Girl took the lead about a sixteenth of a mile from the finish and held off a strong late run from Parranda to her outside.

“It worked out great,” Boyce said. “She broke a little sharp but she settled nicely and we were just able to bide our time. It got close at the end but my filly was very game.”

Tabreed, the even-money favorite, had traffic issues in the lane and settled for third.

Valiant Girl paid $17.40 to win. The time was 2:21.95 on the firm course.

Seanchai was fourth followed by Rare Event, Explainable, and Christmas Angel.

Maysonett, Ferrer need medical attention following separate spills

Jockeys Francisco Maysonett and Jose Ferer were taken to Monmouth Medical Center in Long Branch, N.J., for possilble concussions following separate spills on Saturday's card.

Our Corn, Maysonett’s mount, was in tight quarters entering the far turn of the fifth race when he stumbled and the rider hit the turf course.

“He had a transitory loss of consciousness and a few chipped teeth,” said Dr. Angelo Chinnici, Monmouth’s medical director.

Chinnici sent Maysonett for evaluation of a possible concussion.

Jose Ferrer was unseated by No Veggies at the top of the stretch in the final race.

“He was complaining of shortness of breath,” said Chinnici.  “He had multiple soft tissue injuries and a possible concussion."

Ferrer, aboard No Veggies, had just made the lead at the top of the stretch when his filly broke down, unseating the rider.  The filly was euthanized on the racetrack.