05/13/2011 3:03PM

Monmouth: Prado's appearance a show of confidence in Successful Story

Edgar Prado is coming in from New York to ride Successful Story in Sunday's Monmouth Beach.

OCEANPORT, N.J. – The fact that Edgar Prado is giving up a day’s business at Belmont Park to ride Successful Song is an endorsement of the filly’s chances on Sunday in the $75,000 Monmouth Beach Stakes.

“His name speaks for itself,” said Eddie Plesa, her trainer. “Having him come down was a bonus, no if, ands, or buts.”

Prado picked up several mounts on the Monmouth Park card but the main lure was clearly Successful Song. He was aboard for her last two races, both at Gulfstream Park against some of the toughest fillies and mares on the grounds.

Successful Song was second last time out in the Grade 3 Rampart Stakes, finishing behind Awesome Maria, a dominant winner in her last two stakes, and ahead of Unrivaled Belle, the Breeders’ Cup Ladies' Classic winner.

The competition will be softer on the Jersey Shore.

“That’s what we’re hoping,” Plesa said. “We wanted to give her a break from the heavy heads. Being here at Monmouth, this looks like the ideal spot for her.”

It could be a cozy one at that.

The race attracted seven fillies and mares for the mile-and-70-yard event.

The trainers of some entrants are hedging. Linda White, who has the New York-bred stakes winner R Betty Graybull, said it is uncertain they will ship down from Belmont.

“Right now we are on the fence as to whether we run at Monmouth or at Belmont next Saturday in the Shuvee,” White said.

Then there is the weather to consider with thundershowers in the Sunday forecast. A wet track could chase away some of the competition.

“We’re running either way,” said Plesa, who said he feels the cooler weather in New Jersey the last two weeks has helped his filly. “We feel confident she’s coming into the race in the right order.”

New exotic wager offered

Opening weekend at Monmouth also marks the debut of a new wager: a 50-cent place pick six with a 15 percent takeout.

As the name implies, the bettor must select the first- or second-place finisher in six consecutive races, 4 through 9, each day.

The same carryover rules for Monmouth’s pick four and pick five will apply: Only the winners get paid if all six are hit with no consolation.

In the event of a carryover, 25 percent of the pool will be paid as a consolation with remaining 75 percent seeding the next pool.

Bill Knauf, Monmouth’s assistant vice president, said he believes this is the first time any track has offered this bet. In theory, Monmouth’s bet should be easier to hit than the place-pick all in California that covers every race on the card.

“It’s not a wager that’s going to be a life changer but we think it’s a good wager that could produce a payoff of $300 to $600 on a daily basis,” Knauf said. “It’s another low base, low takeout wager with a better chance to spread.”