06/10/2014 1:20PM

Mirahmadi to fill in for vacationing Denman

Benoit & Associates
Frank Mirahmadi will call the races at Santa Anita through June 27.

Frank Mirahmadi will call the races at Santa Anita on Thursday, replacing a vacationing Trevor Denman.

Last weekend, Mirahmadi described his two-week position as Denman’s replacement “is the ultimate for me.”

“Trevor is my idol,” he said. “I learned everything from him. He’s helped me so much in my career. He’s given me so much advice.”

Mirahmadi, who called the races earlier this year at Oaklawn Park, will describe the action at Santa Anita through June 27. Denman, 61, will return for the final two days of the spring-summer meeting, June 28-29, and will be in the booth for the Del Mar summer meeting, which begins on July 17. Ed Burgart will call the Thoroughbred races at the Los Alamitos summer meeting, which runs from July 3-13.

Mirahmadi, 46, has been a fixture on the Northern California fair circuit since 2006. A native of Los Angeles, Mirahmadi will call the races at the Oak Tree at Pleasanton meeting at the Alameda County Fair beginning on June 28. Later this year, Mirahmadi will call the county fairs at Sacramento, Stockton, Ferndale, and Fresno.

Eugene McCormick More than 1 year ago
Bring back Vic!
Andy R More than 1 year ago
Said no one ever
Bruce Epstein More than 1 year ago
Its' time for Tom Durkin to "come out of the closet"
Bruce Epstein More than 1 year ago
Like everyone, I love Frank, but he can't pick a horse over 6/5. He's a dead chalk player. When his horse is beat, his voice changes, mid call. Frank, you can't make money playing chalk.
Bruce Epstein More than 1 year ago
I just love Frank M . . . it's hard not to. For NYRA job, (since Durkin screwed Larry Columus by waiting for him to get CD job) I'd like to see the caller from DEL. Yes DEL, his voice is clear and he's very good. Little know guy, but with NYRA only paying entry level salaries, he's a good fit.
rosendo More than 1 year ago
Does anyone know what Vic S. is doing now a days? I thought it'd be him on the job.
David Mckenna More than 1 year ago
Boomer Wry not available?
[removed] More than 1 year ago
This comment has been deleted
Jeff More than 1 year ago
Perhaps you should try to check in at your local mental health clinic. It might do you some good.
FESTUS ELROY More than 1 year ago
Be careful Trevor,I think we might have a stalker.
[removed] More than 1 year ago
This comment has been deleted
FESTUS ELROY More than 1 year ago
I,like many are big Trevor fans(poetry in motion),but Frank (a great guy and very good announcer) is just filling in so our beloved Trevor gets some R&R.What did you do. During the Hollywood Park meet.Did you also want to hurt Vic Stauffer?
[removed] More than 1 year ago
This comment has been deleted
Walter More than 1 year ago
Put your calls on YouTube, maybe some of us can hear them
Judy Sarasohn More than 1 year ago
denman hasn't gotten a horse's name right in years. Try following his calls on the replays- he is no Tom Durkin.
David Mckenna More than 1 year ago
trevor's been terrible for years, Dave Rodman and Greg Boomer Wry are better listens.
FESTUS ELROY More than 1 year ago
Trevor is the Vin Scully of horserace announcing.Not what he was,but still the best and a living legend.
Westin Niles More than 1 year ago
Tom Durkin is a joke now. Puts you to sleep with his race calls. He used to be good in the early Breeders Cup years.
Barbara Land More than 1 year ago
Love Frankie "voices" Mirahmadi
Who better to fill in Frank is an asset to the sport and deserves the opportunity to show what he brings to the table.A perfect audition for any positions that open up. Are you listening NYRA