07/13/2014 5:22PM

The millionaire Jeranimo retires to stud

Benoit & Associates
Jeranimo, the millionaire winner of the Eddie Read Stakes, will be retired and stand at stud next year, according to his trainer, Mike Pender.

CYPRESS, Calif. – Jeranimo, a millionaire and eight-time stakes winner, has been retired from racing and will stand at stud next year, trainer Mike Pender said Sunday.

Pender said discussions are ongoing with stallion farms but that no deal had been finalized as of Sunday. Jeranimo is entered July 20 in the Paddock Sale at Del Mar but will be withdrawn, Pender said.

Jeranimo’s retirement occurs less than a week after the death of co-owner B.J. Wright on July 8.

By Congaree, Jeranimo, 8, won 11 of 40 starts and earned $1,525,364. Co-owned by Robert LaPenta for the final eight starts of his career, Jeranimo finished fifth in the Grade 2 San Marcos Stakes at Santa Anita in February.

Jeranimo’s most recent published workout was mid-June at Santa Anita.

“We wanted to retire him sound,” Pender said.

Jeranimo won two Grade 1 turf races – the Shoemaker Mile at Hollywood Park in 2012 and Eddie Read Stakes at Del Mar in 2013. Jeranimo won three runnings of the Grade 2 San Gabriel Stakes at Santa Anita, in 2010, 2013, and earlier this year in January. In addition, Jeranimo won the Grade 2 Strub Stakes on synthetic track at Santa Anita in 2010.

“His win in the Shoemaker was my fondest memory,” Pender said.

Nancy Sharmer More than 1 year ago
Congrats to Jeranimo on retiring at such an "advanced" age sound. Really enjoyed his races and seeing his sire, Congaree, at Adena in 2005.
Anna Montanucci More than 1 year ago
I'll miss seeing Jeranimo on the track. Wish he could've gone out with a win but I'm glad he gets a chance at stud and at ccontinuing the Blushing Groom sireline.
Mary Reynolds More than 1 year ago
One of my favorite horses to see run, always exciting and it was very apparent how dear he was to Mr. Wright. So sorry tk hear of his death. He was a great owner and my condolences to his family.
FESTUS ELROY More than 1 year ago
Oh my gosh.He is over the hill. Don't these connections know you are supposed to retire colts/horses to stud before they're 4 years old.What would happen if we introduced soundness to the gene pool?No more Shakin It Ups?
Jordan More than 1 year ago
Jeranimo was one of my favorite horses. He is an 8-time graded stakes winner. And he ran until 8 as a full horse. Congrats to him and for Pender for doing such an excellent job keeping him sound. Pender and Wright did correct by this horse. Rip Mr. Wright
Cheryl Kleist More than 1 year ago
I adore Jeranimo and wish him a wonderful second career as a stallion. I will be looking forward to his babies. Hopefully, they will have their sire's terrific stamina, and his good looks.
I always enjoyed seeing B.J. Wright being interviewed following Jeromimo's races. My condolences to all who knew him. His voice still echoes in my memory. Am glad to hear of Jeronimo's retirement. He did good for Mr. Wright. I will dearly miss the two of them in California's racing scene.
Suzanne Sugarbaker More than 1 year ago
A million thanks to Jeranimo's connections for letting him race for several years, rather than hustling him off to stud as a juvenile. P.S. Condolences to the Wrights and all the connections who knew & loved B.J.
Susan Huart More than 1 year ago
Have some great babies and enjoy being a horse. Go Jeranimo!