07/13/2014 6:22PM

The millionaire Jeranimo retires to stud

Email
Benoit & Associates
Jeranimo, the millionaire winner of the Eddie Read Stakes, will be retired and stand at stud next year, according to his trainer, Mike Pender.

CYPRESS, Calif. – Jeranimo, a millionaire and eight-time stakes winner, has been retired from racing and will stand at stud next year, trainer Mike Pender said Sunday.

Pender said discussions are ongoing with stallion farms but that no deal had been finalized as of Sunday. Jeranimo is entered July 20 in the Paddock Sale at Del Mar but will be withdrawn, Pender said.

Jeranimo’s retirement occurs less than a week after the death of co-owner B.J. Wright on July 8.

By Congaree, Jeranimo, 8, won 11 of 40 starts and earned $1,525,364. Co-owned by Robert LaPenta for the final eight starts of his career, Jeranimo finished fifth in the Grade 2 San Marcos Stakes at Santa Anita in February.

Jeranimo’s most recent published workout was mid-June at Santa Anita.

“We wanted to retire him sound,” Pender said.

Jeranimo won two Grade 1 turf races – the Shoemaker Mile at Hollywood Park in 2012 and Eddie Read Stakes at Del Mar in 2013. Jeranimo won three runnings of the Grade 2 San Gabriel Stakes at Santa Anita, in 2010, 2013, and earlier this year in January. In addition, Jeranimo won the Grade 2 Strub Stakes on synthetic track at Santa Anita in 2010.

“His win in the Shoemaker was my fondest memory,” Pender said.