06/11/2013 3:42PM

Louisiana Downs: Razorback series set

Email

The funding structure for the Razorback series for 2-year-old Arkansas-breds that is run each year at Louisiana Downs has changed, and with the details now in place the races are confirmed to be held at the Bossier City, La., track on Sept. 21. It will be the 20th running of both the $50,000 Razorback, which is for colts and geldings at six furlongs, and the $50,000 Lady Razorback, restricted to fillies and run over the same distance.

This will be the first year the Arkansas Thoroughbred Breeders and Horsemen’s Association will fund the entire purse of the two races, said Deana Echols, the organization’s executive secretary. In recent years, the Arkansas group had funded 75 percent, while the Louisiana purse account funded the remaining 25 percent. For this season, Echols said she was informed that the Louisiana account is providing statebred purse funds only to horses bred in Louisiana.

Echols said as of the Dec. 31 closing date of the races, there were 66 colts and geldings nominated and 76 fillies nominated. Supplemental nominations to the series are $2,500 up until the date of entry, she said, and such a nomination also makes a horse eligible for the Arkansas-bred stakes run at Oaklawn Park in Hot Springs, Ark.