09/08/2013 11:06AM

Louisiana Downs: Departing targets Oklahoma Derby

Hodge Photography/Lou Hodges Jr.
Departing wins the Grade 2 Super Derby by four lengths as the 1-5 favorite Saturday.

BOSSIER CITY, La. – Departing will close out his 3-year-old season in the Grade 3, $400,000 Oklahoma Derby, trainer Al Stall Jr. said Sunday, one day after the gelding cruised to a four-length win in the Grade 2, $500,000 Super Derby at Louisiana Downs.

Departing, who earlier this year won the West Virginia and Illinois derbies, earned a career-high Beyer Speed Figure of 104 for his Super Derby win. He emerged from the race in excellent condition, Stall said, and will remain at Louisiana Downs to train up to the Oklahoma Derby. The newly graded 1 1/8-mile race will be run at Remington Park on Sept. 29.

“It’s a great fit,” Stall said. “It’s a Grade 3, the money is good, and geographically, it works out. If he’s ready, we’ll be there.”

Stall said the Oklahoma Derby would be the final start of 2013 for Departing.

“He’s going to get a breather, with a goal of being, hopefully, a top handicap horse next year,” he said.

Departing ran to his 1-5 favoritism in the Super Derby. He stalked the pace, engaged the leaders in the stretch, and went on to win in hand under Robby Albarado. Departing covered the 1 1/8 miles on a fast track in 1:50.08.

The win came one start after Departing romped by 8 3/4 lengths in the West Virginia Derby. Stall said after that race that he felt Departing was an improving horse heading into the Super Derby, and Departing’s performance Saturday backed up that evaluation.

“I like the way he traveled the first turn, better than he’d done in the Illinois Derby and the West Virginia Derby,” Stall said. “I also like that his head wasn’t quite up in the air looking around towards the end. So, I saw a lot of mental progress in [Saturday’s] race.

“He’s getting very consistent. He breaks, he lays comfortable. You can see the rider’s got him in his hands. He creeps up in hand, and he kicks it. And he’s learning to kick it a little better, too.”

Departing gave Stall his third win in the Super Derby, a record among trainers. The horse also was the third Super Derby winner for Adele Dilschneider, who races Departing in partnership with Claiborne Farm. She won the race with the Stall trainee Apart in 2010 and with Claiborne back in 1998 with Arch. Stall’s other Super Derby winner was My Pal Charlie in 2008.

Departing, by War Front, has won 6 of 8 starts and $1.3 million. He was bred by Claiborne and Dilschneider.

FRED More than 1 year ago
Thanks Mark for giving us the rundown of horses that Verrazano has beaten.
Mark More than 1 year ago
MarkLess than a minute ago An error has occurred, please try again later (403007) Fred .To appease you? No thanks. I listed a couple weeks back . I will tell you his Tampa derby win has proven a tougher field than the Florida derby. Go take a look. Tell me who other than orb has won a single graded race at 3 in the Florida derby field ? Be it a grade 3 even . Not one graded winner in that field. And it is my opinion that the derby was the perfect storm for orb. Suicidal pace meltdown coupled with perfect trip and sloppy track and WTC being stopped dead in his tracks. And orbs past 3 races fully support my opinion. So before you go running your mouth maybe have some actual knowledge of what you speak.
Mark More than 1 year ago
And if you want to include an injured violence and shanghai than u must include oxbow on the other side of coin. And injured or not v was inhaling him regardless in Haskell. Johnny v wasnt concerned one bit with oxbow down the backside.
Mark More than 1 year ago
And he showed up in grade 1 Haskell with the Preakness winner. Wasn't dodging anyone. Can only beat who shows up. Tell me this Freddy. Who did paynter beat in his Haskell ? Yet he was everyone's BC classic winner. Lol. Freddy get a clue. He did it by record setting margin. Unlike this gelding . Who has run for the hills after his no show in Preakness.
Mark More than 1 year ago
and we still don't kow how good Normandy invasion is .
Mark More than 1 year ago
he did finish 4th in the derby and behind Verrazano in the wood .
Mark More than 1 year ago
so Fred . In TB derby v beat next out grade 1 winner Javas war who while earning that grade 1 defeated Palace malice in the process ,. In the wood he defeated Normandy Invasion who went on to run a good 4th in derby. And in the Haskell he beat the Kentucky Derby second place finisher Golden Soul by 16 lengths and inhaled a Preakness winner and spit him out then flicked off the baffert grade 1 winner to go on and win by a record setting margin while earning top beyer 116 for any 3 year old this year .
Mark More than 1 year ago
yes he threw in a bad one in travers . it was not his day . derby I say it was a # of things . pace mud and 5th race in 5 months. to suggest he has beaten no body or is not a tremendous colt when on his game is funny .
Big Jeff More than 1 year ago
You really do have to love that 7 of the first 8 replies are By the same "guy". Unstable; maybe; issues probably; comedy definately.
Facts .
Jeffie .
Big Jeff More than 1 year ago
Make that 10 out of 11. ....Poor guy.
Mark More than 1 year ago
Counting .... maybe that is your thing..... because contributing anything on here clearly is not. But thanks for keeping tabs . I own space in your head .
Mark More than 1 year ago
Why "big" Jeff ? Lol. Third person . And you say I have issues? Classic !
Big Jeff More than 1 year ago
Third person? wrong again.
Walter More than 1 year ago
Not sure why anyone would knock this horse. He will be busy winning G1s next year when most of the other well knowned 3yos are off to the breeding shed. What would you rather see? I'd rather see Departing running in the New Orleans, Oaklawn, & Pimlico Special.
rahman Williams More than 1 year ago
Absolutley look at this years derby field and see how many will be racing next year. My guess is verrazano, frac daddy but he is on grass, WTC. Orb no way his dosage figure is to high he has won 2 grade one including THE DERBY. I would not risk it people will be line up to breed with orb. Palace malice up in the air may not finish year maybe a invasor situation retire after Dubai world cup he has to go to that his father won that race just a historical perspective if hes ready to he has to go for that. Departing is not as good as the horses I name now but come next spring could be the cream of the crop
Walter More than 1 year ago
I hope you are correct and these horses do run next year. But chances are they will not. Look at Overanalyze, he is going to stud next spring. I figure he won't be the only one.
Mark More than 1 year ago
Revolutionary and Normandy Invasion both pointing to 4 year old races next year .
rdeeps52 More than 1 year ago
New Orleans Oaklawn and Pimlico Special? So you want him to run in all the second rate handicap races next year like he has this year? Great, that should fun
rdeeps52 More than 1 year ago
None of the races you mentioned are grade 1 races
Walter More than 1 year ago
Second rate? I don't think any of those races are 2nd rate. I'm sure you will be betting them next year.
Bellwether4U More than 1 year ago
He pays his bills...Hell of a Horse!!!...
Perl More than 1 year ago
I have no knock against the way this horse has been managed. He probably is in the top 5 in terms of 3yo earnings and has a bright future, but he is like a bottom feeder. His campaign is a classic example of the oversaturation of 3yo stakes races. Tracks should reconsider the purse money they are putting up to draw top 3 year olds. It's simply not worth it.
Edward More than 1 year ago
Wrong. Those races are very successful for the tracks(handle). What should happen is owners should stop running horses at the big tracks that are supposedly Grade 1 and Grade II races for 300k or less and instead run in the races with the biggest purses.
Big Jeff More than 1 year ago
Right again.
Brandon Layer More than 1 year ago
...or to modify a line from Happy Gilmore... Super Derby, Oklahoma Derby, who gives a s***?
Edward More than 1 year ago
The guys collecting the 1.3 million in earnings.
Big Jeff More than 1 year ago
Exactly.
Brandon Layer More than 1 year ago
Too bad horse racing is a business these days and no longer a sport.
david More than 1 year ago
And I suppose you know better how this horse should be handled. Really, have you ever owned or trained a horse that won the Super Derby or the OK Derby or any other horse race? You should stick to watching bad movies.
Perl More than 1 year ago
Since when was horseracing not a business?
rahman Williams More than 1 year ago
Horse racing has always been a business. Wow
Mark More than 1 year ago
And in big league news .... Bill Mott trained Mosler looked super impressive today breaking his maiden at Belmont. 2 year colt old half to Contested . War front. Nicely bred field of runners in there .
Big Jeff More than 1 year ago
Big league maiden? is this a new condition?
Mark More than 1 year ago
At Belmont park. Yeah. 2 year old maiden special weights going a mile on the first early September .Big league for sure. Guess who ran in similar race last year at belmont on september 8th and finished 4th? Yeah big mouth . Mr know it all. Jeffie boy. Orb did. You my big mouthed friend contribute zip to this board . Ever . Except negative comments. Or uninformed ones. At least you are consistently negative.
Big Jeff More than 1 year ago
I Love the irony of your comment.....For all to see.... I'm negative? Not hardly
Mark More than 1 year ago
For all to see lol. Care.
Big Jeff More than 1 year ago
Still no mention of my offer to you? It's ok.
Clown
Big Jeff More than 1 year ago
And there you have it.
Meydan Rocks More than 1 year ago
Don't forget. As much as we admire what Al Stall is doing, it is indeed after all an owner's world when it comes to thoroughbred horse racing. If Al trained for the owner's Todd trains for, I highly doubt he would have the lee way he now has. Just a thought.
Big Jeff More than 1 year ago
He does have the luxury of top notch class owners. Well said.
rahman Williams More than 1 year ago
For all the people dissing this horse you might be good handicappers, but you should stay away from training or owning horses. This horse just ran 1:50 in a mile and 1/8 and palace mailce ran 1:47 in the Jim dandy but you want them to race against each other.just ridiculous.
Billy Spathanas More than 1 year ago
Another one here talking how fast they run. Saratoga and Louisiana are 2 different race tracks. A 104 speed # isn't so bad for a race run in 1:50.08. Departing actually did it pretty easy earning that. You should be the one not owning or training Mr. Williams.
rahman Williams More than 1 year ago
Yeah and departing ran so well at the preakness. Anybody who think that a almost 2.5 second difference on two fast track day even though they are on two different track is not significant is being silly, or you are a beyer speed figure nut. Nothing more important than the beyer. So you go head and think departing is as good as palace malice all you want. I say wait to next year, I bet a whole lot of owners wish they went this route Vyjack, freedom child to name a few. So go head get you a horse that on his best day on a fast track on cant break 150 and put him against the Belmont and Jim dandy winner. What was palace malice beyer in the Jim dandy?
Big Jeff More than 1 year ago
Sorry, but you are ,in fact, incorrect. Nothing to do with Beyer numbers. But this is a basic age old foundation of handicapping. Comparing raw times at two different tracks is an exercise in futility, to put it kindly. Fortunately, for those who acknowledge this fact, great prices can be found on a daily basis.
Edward More than 1 year ago
You are crazy. Claiming horses can run 1:47 and change at 9f at SA but stakes horses can rarely clip 1:50 at aqueduct in the spring. Would you bet the claiming horse if the winner of the Wood and the winner of a 40k claimer at SA met up at 9f? Class is so much more important than race time.
rahman Williams More than 1 year ago
Ok I was comparing final times in graded stakes company on fast tracks. My beliefs are my beliefs. Its my money not anybody else. I would like you to do something for me find 5 40k claimers at Santa anita that ran 1:47.50. Then I will shut up about this topic for ever. I have no problem being wrong. I believe final times around the same class level are valid. Jim dandy grade 2 super derby. Grade 3. Palice malice by ran against better but departing did not run against career 40 k claimers.
Walter More than 1 year ago
I wish there were more talented young geldings out there. It's makes for a more competitive Handicap Division for next season. I'm so tired of everyone rushing off their 3yos to the breeding shed right away.