03/30/2013 6:05PM

Louisiana Derby: Revolutionary's win marks him serious Kentucky Derby threat

Lou Hodges Jr.
Revolutionary holds off a determined Mylute to win the Louisiana Derby.

NEW ORLEANS – Whether he comes inside and knifes through traffic, or takes the scenic route and goes around everyone, Revolutionary is moving forward like a horse to be reckoned with in the Kentucky Derby on May 4.

Revolutionary ($6.80) took a significant step forward on Saturday, when he made a powerful, wide move on the final turn, then held off a pesky Mylute to win the Grade 2, $1 million Louisiana Derby at Fair Grounds.

[DERBY WATCH: Top 20 Kentucky Derby contenders with odds and video]

The victory followed up on a troubled score in the Withers Stakes in February at Aqueduct. In both races, Javier Castellano was up.

“He did everything you could ask, last time and today,” Castellano said. “I’m looking forward to the Derby big-time.”

Besides a payday of $600,000 for first, the Louisiana Derby was worth 100 points to the winner under the new system put in place this year by Churchill Downs to determine eligibility to the Derby. That will be more than enough to put Revolutionary in the starting field.

Revolutionary crossed the wire a neck in front of Mylute, who was three lengths clear of third-place Departing, who suffered the first loss of his four-race career. Golden Soul was fourth and was followed, in order, by Ground Transport, Code West, Palace Malice, Sunbean, Titletown Five, Proud Strike, Hip Four Sixtynine, Nina’s Dragon, Brazilian Court, and Whiskey Bravo.

Revolutionary completed 1 1/8 miles on the fast main track in 1:50.28. Todd Pletcher trains Revolutionary, a colt by War Pass, for the WinStar Farm of Kenny Troutt.

“Huge performance from him,” Pletcher said at Gulfstream Park. “Sometimes you lose ground like Revolutionary did but you get a clean run at it, and sometimes you save ground like Palace Malice did and you take the worst of it. It worked out for Revolutionary, it was kind of a frustrating trip for the other horse.”

Revolutionary was calm in the paddock, which was chaotic with 14 horses and their connections.

“He didn’t turn a hair in the paddock," said Elliott Walden, the president and chief executive officer of WinStar. "He went around there like a puppy dog. All those things matter."

Walden said Revolutionary would be sent to WinStar in Kentucky on Sunday to recuperate from the race before heading to Churchill Downs for final preparations for the Derby.

Revolutionary has now won three straight races since beginning his career with three losses.

Trainer Tom Amoss, a New Orleans native, was thrilled with the way Mylute ran, but disappointed he could not win his first Louisiana Derby.

“There’s one out there with our name on it,” Amoss said.

As for the 1 1/4-mile Kentucky Derby, Amoss said he would give it a few days before deciding.

“He answered the question of a mile and an eighth today,” Amoss said. “I was so worried about the distance that I didn’t even start to cheer until the last 40 yards.”
- additional reporting by David Grening

BrianK More than 1 year ago
I love reading everyone's analysis of the derby and thinking how almost all of you will be wrong.
Robert Alexander More than 1 year ago
POSTPOSITION WILL DETERMINE THE DERBY OUTCOME,,IF REVOLUTIONARY GETS A 10 HOLE OR BETTER ..HE WILL BE RIGHT THERE WITH VERRAZANO AND MYLUTE AS THE TRIFECTA ..THROW ORB INTO THE SUPER ROBERT (THE WIZARD)A.
Christopher McKay More than 1 year ago
Mylute will not come close to hitting the doard
Richard More than 1 year ago
Maybe something has to do with the FAST pace (which usually produces a slow finish) and the position of the camera at the Fair Grounds which employs more of a head-on shot (relative to other track views) which makes the runners appear to go SLOWER. Despite all this, Revolutionary's final eighth was about 12:50, roughly the same as Verrazano's WOOD, which was run at a snail's pace. I think you have to look at it more objectively: his race puts in right in the thick of the (Derby) battle.
anonymous More than 1 year ago
The races were slow. Watching the rerun of the Louisiana, in the stretch, Revolutionary and Mylute almost seemed to be at trotting speed, not running all out. The fractions and overall time was slow. None of these horses this year are really exciting, and most of the names are clunky.
redboy More than 1 year ago
win win win bad trip bad trip bad trip Ive liked this guy for a while now,his wicked late turn of foot ,he now will be facing the Countries best 3yo's Whats worries me is his continued bad tripitis
Rogelio More than 1 year ago
Revolutionary received a Beyer speed figure of 93 and Orb a 97.........Interesting as these may be Will Take Charge received a 95 Beyer (1 1/16) figure in the Rebel while Verrazano received a 105 in the Tampa Bay Derby. While the number Verrazano is the best, the Tampa Bay Derby is only run at a 1 1/16 and the quality of the field was suspect. At this time Revolutionary might be the 3rd or 4th best horse.........in other words, just another horse in the running. It will be an interesting Derby because there is no superstar as of yet to set themselves apart.......even after the Derby, there still might not be a standout either.
Brandon Layer More than 1 year ago
I wish drf would print the attendance and handle of days like this. I like to see how they compare to each other.
Chris Lowe More than 1 year ago
CDI tracks do not release attendance or handle figures.
Brandon Layer More than 1 year ago
Mylute isn't getting the credit he deserves. He ran a huge beyer around Christmas time around two turns and now this. The Derby will be his third start off a layoff. He was only beat a neck by a horse everyone loves.
Brandon Layer More than 1 year ago
Reminds me of Funny Cide being overlooked after almost beating everyone's favorite Empire Maker in the Wood.
Susan Huart More than 1 year ago
Because everybody loves a winner with a winning jockey on a great track?
Susan Huart More than 1 year ago
Oops! Wrong thread. Sorry, Brandon:(
Rita Polander More than 1 year ago
you are right brandon. I added Mylute to my top 6 today. He is #6 and will be a real threat in the derby. orb is the one to beat.
JoyJackson21 More than 1 year ago
Woo-hoo! I just loved this race (and its result)! Revolutionary looked AWESOME circling the entire field at the top of the stretch. He looked like a bullet train flying round that track! There was no stopping him! I have to admit, I was a little concerned when Revolutionary broke all the way at the back of the pack, he was 12th at the 1/4 pole. I never wanted him on the early lead, but I would have liked to have seen him stalking the pace closer up, maybe 4th or 5th. No need to worry, though. Fairgrounds played fair and allowed horses with a strong kick to close well in the stretch. Seeing Revolutionary round the field like a hot knife through butter reminded me, visually, of Monarchos rounding the bacfield of the 2001 KY Derby faster than any horse I had ever personally witnessed. It felt de ja vu, I'm telling you! - LOL. Revolutionary definitely reminded me of that moment in time. A move that like was impressive then, and it is no less impressive now. I could almost hear the "zoom" on the television monitor as Revolutionary streaked by the pack. It was like they were all standing still. However, Revolutionary brought two other horses from the back of the pack along with him, Revolutionary carving out a path for them and their jockeys to follow: Carving and Mylute. Did you see that wall of horses coming around the stretch? Whoa, a thing of beauty!! - LOL. Horses seven wide across the stretch, Revolutionary five wide himself! It was on, baby! - LOL. The donnybrook down to the wire I had anticipated a week BEFORE the LA Derby was actually happening right before our eyes. Revolutionary powered by, followed very closely by Departing, who was followed a length behind by the fast closing Mylute. Revolutionary turned on the afterburners, cleared Departing, but Mylute was closing like a freight train, too (reminded me of his grandsire, Thunder Gulch, in the Kentucky Derby when I saw that move!). It was clea the donnybrook was going to be decided close to the wire. Definitely my kind of race! Revolutionary looked Mylute in the eye, dug down deep and stuck his neck out and gutted out a FABULOUS victory! Wow, a great race! I love a horse race where there is a battle to the end. That's when you know how much heart a horse has, and Revolutionary was all heart and talent in this race. He was awesome! Congratulations to Revolutionary (just love him!), Jose Castellano on a fine, thrilling, inspiring ride on Revolutionary, and to all of Revolutionary's connections (Tood Pletcher and WinStar Farms) on an excellent victory by their colt. He looked great in victory! I am excited about Mylute going to The Dance in May. The grandson of Thunder Gulch looked mighty fine Saturday in the Louisiana Derby, and I hope his connections run him in the race. He reminds me of Thunder Gulch, a horse I owe a lot to. His powerful perfomance in the 1995 KY Derby has always been one of my sentimental favorites, and I am always thrilled to support his progeny in the KY Derby (I supported both Invisible Ink, "Inky" to all of us who loved him, and Point Given), and I'm hoping I get a chance to support Mylute in the Derby as well. Shaun Bridgmohan, that was some fine riding you did on Mylute. If he goes to the Derby, you should go there with him, too! This Kentucky Derby, just like last year's Kentucky Derby, is going to be one of the most powerful lineups in a long time. Revolutionary is an incredible horse, and he is being joined by Orb, Verazzano, Lucky, Vyjack, Hear The Ghost and Mylute, possibly Oxbow and several other powerful contenders who will throw down the gauntlet against each other in Saturday's Santa Anita Derby (always a fabulous race to watch!) and the Wood Memorial, with the Arkansas Derby and Bluegrass shortly after those races. This field is going to be a bettor's delight! It's already a delight to me and already promises to only get better! I just love this time of year! Congratulations again, Revolutionary. You are an incredible colt and I am thrilled you will be flashing your immense talent at The Dance!
JoyJackson21 More than 1 year ago
My profuse apologies to Javier Castellano for misidentifying him. Where the name Jose came from I certainly don't know! It was very, very early, I was probably still a little bit sleepy when I wrote the post. Javier, you rode a very fine race. You are to be much congratulated.
David Dennis More than 1 year ago
He takes off and we get Calvin WOW what a good pick by the public
MICHEL More than 1 year ago
Everybody here keeps bashing Prado for trying the rail, but just imagine if the tyring front runners just went 2 paths from the rail,then they will be bashing Castellano for going 10 wide and just getting 3rd.
ctgreyhound More than 1 year ago
There's plenty of "bashing" to go around in the work up to the Derby. That's part of the game. Those doing the bashing stop in their tracks when a horse proves them wrong, i.e. Revolutionary.