- DRF Bets
- Handicapping & PPsThoroughbred Past Performances
ReportsPremium NewsDigital PapersHorsemen's Products
- DRF Classic PDF PPs
- DRF Formulator PPs
- DRF EasyForm PPs
- Daily Racing Program PPs
- Equibase PPs
- TrackMaster PPs
- Using Timeform Ratings
- NewsCategoriesTrack Notes
- Learn to Play
- History of Horseracing
- How to read PPs
- How to use EasyForm
- How to use Formulator
- How to use TicketMaker
- Beyer Speed Figures
- Moss Pace Figures
- Using Race Shape Symbols
- Using Timeform Ratings
- BreezeFigs Handicapping
- Wagering and Winning
- Harness Night School
- Point of Call Index
- 3-Year Best Time Chart
- DRF TV
- StorePast Performances
- Compare all DRF PPs
- DRF Formulator PPs
- DRF Classic PPs
- DRF EasyForm PPs
- Daily Racing Program PPs
- Expanded Closer Looks
- Equibase & Trackmaster PPs - Thoroughbred
Lido Palace to rest until summer
ARCADIA, Calif. - Lido Palace, the beaten favorite in Sunday's $250,000 San Antonio Handicap, will be taken out of training to prepare for a summer and fall campaign in New York, trainer Bobby Frankel said on Monday.
Lido Palace finished fourth in the Grade 2 San Antonio, three lengths behind the upset winner, Redattore.
"I think I'll give him a good rest and get him ready for Saratoga and Belmont," Frankel said. "We know he likes those tracks."
Last summer at Belmont Park, Lido Palace finished second to Albert the Great in the Suburban Handicap in July and won the Woodward Stakes in September. In between, he won the Whitney Handicap at Saratoga.
The decision will keep one of the nation's top older horses out of the $1 million Santa Anita Handicap on March 2, a race with few probables after two major preps at Santa Anita over the weekend.
Redattore is under consideration but emerged from Sunday's race with a minor foot injury, trainer Richard Mandella said. He said Redattore "shed a frog" or the support at the bottom of the foot.
"He'll be off for five or six days, but he wouldn't have done much during that time coming out of a race," Mandella said. "The Big Cap would depend on how the foot heals."
If the foot heals slowly, Mandella said Redattore is a candidate for the Dubai World Cup on March 23, a race the trainer has yet to win.
Frankel and Mandella still have horses under consideration for the 1 1/4-mile Big Cap, the richest race of the Santa Anita meeting.
Mizzen Mast, the impressive winner of Saturday's Strub Stakes for Frankel, is the likely favorite. Frankel will also start Euchre, who finished second in the San Antonio. Third-place finisher Irishesyesareflying, who was fourth in the 2001 Big Cap, is a possibility, according to trainer John Dolan.
Mandella is considering running Cagney, who finished second in the San Marcos Stakes on turf on Jan. 21.
Fancy As, the third-place finisher in the Strub, is a probable, trainer Bob Baffert said. "He needs a mile and a quarter," Baffert said.
The Big Cap cast will not include Wooden Phone, the winner of the San Pasqual Handicap on Jan. 5.
A 5-year-old, Wooden Phone was diagnosed last week with a fractured shoulder, which will require a three-month break, according to Baffert. "He did it galloping," Baffert said.
A week ago, Baffert determined Wooden Phone had a bruised foot, but a subsequent nuclear scan revealed the more serious injury. No surgery will be required, but Wooden Phone is not expected to return to racing until late summer or fall.
Two 4-year-olds will miss the Big Cap. Giant Gentleman, second to Mizzen Mast in the Strub and Malibu stakes, will be given 30 to 60 days off and be pointed for the second half of 2002, according to trainer Brent Sumja.
Orientate, who set the pace for the first six furlongs of the Strub, will start in the Frank Kilroe Mile on turf on March 2.
No Derby for Labamta Babe
Labamta Babe, the winner of the Santa Catalina Stakes on Jan. 19, will miss the Kentucky Derby because of a suspensory injury, Frankel said on Monday. The injury was detected on Monday. "He's not going to make the Derby," Frankel said. "He's got a lot filling in his leg. He'll be off for a few months."
A winner of 2 of 6 starts, Labamta Babe has earned $155,700. He finished third in the Grade 3 Hollywood Prevue Stakes last November at Hollywood Park.
Lukas gets shot with Shah Jehan
When trainer D. Wayne Lukas and a group of partners failed to buy Shah Jehan as a yearling in 2000, it seemed that Lukas had missed a chance to train a well-bred colt.
Lukas had a group of partners prepared to buy Shah Jehan, but declined to match the $4.4 million bid of Susan Magnier and Michael Tabor. A year later, they turned the training of Shah Jehan over to Lukas.
Last November, Shah Jehan arrived at Lukas's barn in California after a campaign in Europe that included one win in four starts and a stakes placing in Ireland. Shah Jehan could make his debut for Lukas in Friday's $75,000 Sham Stakes for 3-year-olds.
"He was a gorgeous yearling," Lukas said. "I don't know if I've seen a Mr. Prospector with conformation as good as he has."
The Sham is run over 1 1/8 miles and is restricted to nonwinners of a first-place purse of $50,000 in races at a mile or over. The other probables include Cottonwood Cowboy, Definite Edge, Hot Contest, and USS Tinosa.
Lukas has a history with Shah Jehan, having trained the colt's dam, Voodoo Lily. "She was quick and precocious," Lukas said. "You'd expect him to be quick, but he acts like a route horse. He's crying for two turns. I don't think he's quick enough to stay with California speed."
Shah Jehan worked six furlongs in 1:12.40 on Sunday, the fastest of 25 recorded works at the distance. Still, Lukas is on the fence whether the colt will start in the Sham.
He stops far short of comparing Shah Jehan to Thunder Gulch, the colt that won the 1995 Kentucky Derby for him and Tabor. "We've got a big hill to climb," Lukas said. "I think he may need an out in the U.S. to get his act together."
La Canada opportunity for Affluent
The weekend's other two stakes are important races for females. On Saturday, the $200,000 La Canada Stakes could give Affluent a sweep of the track's series for 4-year-old fillies. She won the La Brea Stakes on Dec. 29 and the El Encino Stakes on Jan. 20. Affluent will be opposed by Ask Me No Secrets, Azeri, Royally Chosen, and Summer Colony in the La Canada, run over 1 1/8 miles.
On Sunday, a top-class field will start in the $200,000 Las Virgenes Stakes for 3-year-old fillies. Habibti, the top filly trained by Baffert, is the likely favorite against Bella Bella Bella, Rich Musique, Spring Meadow, Tali'sluckybusride, and You. Habibti and You were separated by a head in the Starlet Stakes at Hollywood Park in December.
More stakes for Desiraes My Candy
Desiraes My Candy earned a trip to graded stakes with her first stakes win in the $79,100 Reloy Handicap last Friday.
Trained by Bill Spawr, Desiraes My Candy is unbeaten in two starts this year, following a four-month layoff to recover from minor injuries. Claimed for $50,000 last June, she has since won 3 of 5 starts for Jacoby Family Trust.
"She's improved so much," Spawr said. "At Del Mar, she had a little bit of a knee. I didn't give her a chance to let down and fill out. When I did, her knee got cold and it all came together. She got more confidence in herself. I can breeze her every six or seven days when I couldn't do that before."
In the Reloy, Desiraes My Candy ran 1 1/4 miles on turf in 2:00.42, scoring by a neck over Dispersed Reward. She beat a field that included stakes winners Tropical Lady, The Seven Seas, and Nepenthe.
Last August, she finished fifth in the Del Mar Oaks.
Espinoza loses appeal
Jockey Victor Espinoza has lost an appeal of a fine and suspension for whip abuse at Del Mar last summer.
He appealed to the California Horse Racing Board, which sustained the original decision by Del Mar stewards.
Espinoza has been fined $2,000 and will miss racing this Wednesday and Thursday.
Espinoza had repeated offenses for breaking the skin of his mounts with his whip last summer. Since the original decision was issued on Sept. 5, Espinoza has had no further violations, stewards said.
What's next for Men's Exclusive?
Men's Exclusive, fourth in the $150,000 Palos Verdes Handicap on Jan. 27, emerged from the race in good shape, and trainer Wesley Ward is hoping he will receive an invitation to the $2 million Golden Shaheen Sprint in Dubai on March 23. Last year, Men's Exclusive was second in that race to fellow Californian Caller One.
If he is not invited, he will run in the $100,000 Ken Maddy Sprint for California-breds at Golden Gate Fields on Feb. 23.
Snow Ridge, the winner of the El Conejo and Palos Verdes handicaps at this meeting, is being pointed to the $150,000 San Carlos Handicap on March 3, according to trainer D. Wayne Lukas.
Ready to Go Go
Go Go, one of the top female sprinters in the nation last year, has returned to the racetrack following a four-month break.
The 5-year-old Go Go was turned out in the fall and will be pointed to the Hollywood Park spring-summer meeting, said trainer Warren Stute.
Last year, Go Go won 5 of 7 starts. Her wins came in the Grade 2 A Gleam Handicap, three Grade 3 stakes, and a stakes for California-breds.