04/21/2013 12:11PM

Kentucky Derby workouts: Revolutionary, Verrazano look sharp

CHURCHILL DOWNS  Sunny  Temp. 40  Track Fast

LOUISVILLE -   A busy morning got things rolling on the Kentucky Derby workout watch with five potential starters breezing at Churchill Downs on Sunday,  including Verrazano and Normandy Invasion, the first two finishers from the Grade 1 Wood Memorial, along with Revolutionary and Mylute, the first two across the wire one week earlier in the Grade 2 Louisiana Derby.

[ROAD TO THE KENTUCKY DERBY: Prep races, point standings, replays]

As is usually the case in the weeks leading up to the Derby, it was a cold morning under the Twin Spires with temperatures in the high 30s when the track opened for training at 5:45 a.m. and barely inching above 40 for the special Derby/Oaks training session which began at 8:30. And as is also usually the case on busy work days, many of the breezes occur simultaneously,  as was the case this morning with Normandy Invasion, Verrazano, and Will Take Charge all running at virtually the same time.

WORK OF THE DAY

Revolutionary (four furlongs in 48.73 seconds) had jockey Calvin Borel aboard for the first time as trainer Todd Pletcher and WinStar have re-assembled the same team that brought them their first Derby victory with Super Saver in 2010. Breaking off, as expected, nearest the rail under Borel while in company with WinStar’s undefeated 3-year-old Red Rifle, Revolutionary went a very easy opening eighth in 12.92 and quarter in 25.16, and then finished strong while scrapping the paint down the stretch. The Louisiana Derby winner completed his final two furlongs in 23.57 while well in hand, the only glitch the fact that he did switch back to his left lead nearing the wire as he has done in late stretch during some of his earlier races. Revolutionary continued on strong after the wire, galloping out a solid five-eighths in 1:01.36 before pulling up six furlongs in 1:15.13.

[KENTUCKY DERBY WORKOUTS: Video analysis, news, and times]

“You know where Calvin is going to want to be so we might as well let him [Revolutionary] get used to it,” said Pletcher. “I thought Calvin and the horse got along pretty well. This horse did a little bit of everything in the Withers. He was inside, outside, in between, behind horses. With the trip he got that day, I’d say there’s very little we can throw at him that he hasn’t seen before.”

Verrazano (five furlongs in 59.95) broke off 1 1/2 lengths behind the recently graded stakes-placed mare Authenticity and loped through an opening furlong in 13.02 under jockey Gary Stevens. The Wood Memorial winner picked up the pace entering the turn but had to be asked a bit by Stevens to join up with his partner nearing the quarter pole. Verrazano fanned about four paths wide into the stretch and ultimately edged  a head in front at the wire while completing his final quarter in 23.28. He then galloped out willingly albeit with a little late encouragement from Stevens to keep up with Authenticity re-entering the backstretch.

“We intentionally set him off the other horse,” said Pletcher. “She’s a very good work horse and already had the luxury of having breezed over this track. I thought it was a very excellent breeze, after which we got the gallop out we were looking for. I thought he got over the track nicely and responded really well when Gary asked him to pick it up a notch.”

Normandy Invasion  (four furlongs in  48.12) was a bit anxious getting to the pole and as a result, busted off an opening quarter in 23.16 before finally coming to hand once leaving the turn. The fast early pace took its toll a bit through the stretch although the Wood runner-up finished without need of urging and galloped out with interest, completing five -eighths in 1:01.41 before pulling up three-quarters in 1:15.66.

“The horse is really sharp right now and we worked him only a half so that’s okay,” said trainer Chad Brown. “He was tugging pretty good going to the pole but I thought my rider did a good job. He started off a little quick but settled through the lane and galloped out smooth. That’s why I’ve switched gears and started working him solo. He’s definitely gotten a lot sharper since exiting the Risen Star and I was real happy with what I saw today. He galloped out good, came back with his ears up, and wasn’t even blowing.”

Will Take Charge  (one mile in 1:41.75) broke off at the wire, joined up with stablemate Channel Isle near the five-furlong pole, and then pulled away from his target when put to pressure in early stretch, shading 25 for his final quarter- quarter mile split albeit under urging from jockey Jon Court.

Mylute  (four furlongs in 47.80) came out shortly after the track opened, jogged six furlongs the wrong way, and then galloped another mile before breaking away from the pony at the 4 1/2-furlong pole. Despite taking a good run to the pole, jockey Rosie Napravnik got him to settle into a nice, comfortable stride almost immediately, posting a 12.48 opening eighth and 24.57 quarter-mile split. Napravnik continued to allow Mylute to go along on his own down the stretch, the Louisiana Derby runner-up completing his final couple of furlongs in a sharp 23.23 although he began easing up shortly past the wire, galloping out an average five furlongs in 1:01.86. He appears to have bounced out of last week’s longer and harder work in good order.

At Payson Park

Orb (five furlongs in 1:02.20 according to trainer Shug McGaughey) worked in company with Puzzling, reportedly edging away near the wire while completing his final quarter in 23.80 before galloping out six furlongs in 1:14.80.

“I thought it was a great work. He just galloped along early, then finished up strong and galloped out well, which is what I wanted to see,” said McGaughey. “It was perfect.”

Orb was scheduled to leave Payson later Sunday afternoon, arrive at Churchill Downs sometime Monday morning and will have his final Derby work here next Monday.

Oxbow was the first Derby starter on the Churchill Downs track for a routine gallop early Sunday. He’s not the most fluid of movers, travels with his head cocked out, and appears to be a tough horse to ride. But he does seem to have a high energy level and to be doing well at the present time the way he picked up momentum as he came down the stretch, continued strongly around the clubhouse turn and was a handful to finally pull up near the five-eighths pole.

At Betfair Hollywood Park on Sunday, Tiz a Minister worked a half-mile in 50.20 seconds. There was no immediate word on whether he was still under consideration for the Derby, but his position on the points list fell by one spot, to 23rd, when Winning Cause leaped over him with his victory in the Lexington Stakes on Saturday at Keeneland.

At Santa Anita, trainer Bob Baffert said that both Den’s Legacy and Super Ninety Nine were scheduled to work at Santa Anita on Wednesday, and that their works would determine whether they fly to Kentucky the following day. Super Ninety Nine is currently 18th in the points list with 30, so those on the bubble will be watching his developments with keen interest.

Baffert said that Code West and Power Broker, both of whom traveled to Churchill Downs late last week, are both scheduled to work there on Monday. Baffert said he would not make a final decision on their Derby status until seeing them in person later this week. Code West is currently 22nd on the points list.

- additional reporting by Jay Privman

Fortunefootball More than 1 year ago
Why would Mylute jog 6 furlongs in the wrong direction?...is this another one of those ideas that Amoss has for determining how good a trainer he is?...maybe somebody can help me with this one because I don't have a clue when Amoss talks as nothing he ever says works out...he is a sight for sore eyes as a handicapper and he thinks he's got a shot in the Derby...LOL
Billy Spathanas More than 1 year ago
Why would you stretch before you run ? Why wouldnt you want your horse to loosen up a bit in a cold morning ? Leave them out there for a bit and let them have fun and enjoy themselves streching there legs a bit. If you dont think Amoss has his sleeves rolled up with this horse you should think again. Mylute gave Revolutionary as much as he could handle in the Louisianna Derby and deserves every bit to be starting in the Derby.
Maynard More than 1 year ago
Mylute was slightly ahead of Revolutionary and Rev revved his engines and retook the lead. It will only be worse for Rosie the farther they go.
Jason Hart More than 1 year ago
Jogging is very beneficial to keeping a horse fit. Plus it has little wear and tear on them.
Joey W More than 1 year ago
Hope you all love this horse Revolutionary. If you didn't see his work don't believe all you read. If you did see his work and love it, you don't know what your looking at. This horse is on living on fumes. He will always try hard but he needs a break.
scott More than 1 year ago
What did you see that makes you say this horse is living on fumes?
Joey W More than 1 year ago
Scott, the article mentions him switching to his left lead. What it fails to mention is he did not want to switch to his right lead until abou the sixteenth pole. Then he takes about six strides and switches back. He either has an issue wiyh something on his right side or is just plain tired.
Maynard More than 1 year ago
Rev came from last to first seven wide and still won. Alydar never switched leads at all and would have won the triple crown if it were not for Affirmed. His Withers proved versatility and courage, both of which Calvin will exploit.
Tee Jay More than 1 year ago
Big colts need a lot more work more frequently than smaller colts and fillies. Isn't it odd that every horse is worked the same distance on the same day? So what difference does a trainer make when they are mere copycats for the Big Show?
mrm More than 1 year ago
Why doesn't the DRF show the work instead of a video of Mike Welsch reading his column?
Jd Staton More than 1 year ago
did anyone see revolutionarys workout. his work out and both his last 2 races wich he won .it always looks like he has a very odd look stride. idk like he never runs smooth almost as if he jumps every stide. any of you pros have a answer for that
Joe Rockhold More than 1 year ago
Far from a pro but as a fan of Revolutionary I have to admit he has a funny way of going at times. In his defense when Mylute came to him in the La Derby and he had to lay it down he looked just fine running to me. I think it's a combination of still being a bit green and just looking odd at times. However, there have been plenty of great horses who weren't the best movers. Name of the game is winning and he knows how to do that - that's what matters to me.
CassSpeaks More than 1 year ago
I think he's checking for hostiles in the neighborhood. In the stretch of the Withers, while splitting horses he threw his head and gave Escapefromreality the evil eye. He definitely recognized him as the horse who had just taken his ground at the head of the stretch. I'll bet he'll never forget Transparent.
August Sams More than 1 year ago
Disagree, he is a very nice mover; do you ride????
August Sams More than 1 year ago
He has a very smooth stride and skips over the churchill track; he looks wonderful.
andy More than 1 year ago
I have been betting the derby for over 20 years. I believe/know that workouts can be a key in the Derby race. It's not just the time of the workout it's often how the horse takes to the track. As always, it's important to know how fast each horse usually works and how fast the trainer will work his horses. The main thing is to not get over-hyped on anything. Know how each trainer talks about how his horses are doing. Some trainers say everything is great ALL the time. If that is the case, know not to take everything literally. The trainers who don't get that excited, if THEY talk that their horse is doing well, that might actually be a clue to put that horse over the top if you were considering it as one of the one's you liked... Not every horse takes to Churchill and some LOVE it so don't discount these works all-together.
August Sams More than 1 year ago
Yes, definitely; either they like or don't like churchill and doesn't look like Verrazano does.
Mark Scheider More than 1 year ago
Please stop determining outcomes of races based on workouts. That is the stupidest thing you could possibly do.
Bob More than 1 year ago
Totally agree. Workouts show your training well and that's where it stops. Traffic , clipping heels , trip luck, fear, stress, crowd noise, etc. all determine the winner..Now who do you like? It's that hard.
Tim More than 1 year ago
Whoever wins the Derby, I'm going to tell everybody that that was my horse before the preps started, and that I had a huge Futures bet on him, and that the horse was an obvious pick for anyone who knows anything about horses. It's all about attitude, baby.
Sam More than 1 year ago
I believe everyone who participates in these "discussion" rooms does the same thing. I've never met a Derby loser.
Charles Levy More than 1 year ago
LMAO !!!!
Place More than 1 year ago
i am a derby loser. In 15 years, i have come up with Monarchos, Street Sense and Animal Kingdom. My 8 year old son has more wins than me.
Perl More than 1 year ago
So if you had a flat $2 win bet on the derby in the past 15 years your $30 investment returned around $77 for those three winners. Some loser you are!
Perl More than 1 year ago
I haven't hit the Derby since 2000.
Just a Fan More than 1 year ago
I'm taking all of your names down and making notes of the horses you guys like so I don't bet on them.
Mark Scheider More than 1 year ago
ME TOO!
Bob More than 1 year ago
Not me , I had 4 winners... Sea hero, Strike the gold , Super Saver and Animal kingdom over the last 30 years. Good luck all
Chris Lowe More than 1 year ago
2004 for my last winner of the Derby.
Chris Lowe More than 1 year ago
Had Funny Cide to win in 2003, and then I have to go back to Spend A Buck, LOL!
Sir More than 1 year ago
If you guys need to single a superfecta key for the 4th spot, come see me. My Derby pick finished 4th five years in a row. My sister picks better than I do and she just goes by lucky numbers and names.
Roger More than 1 year ago
Every single trainer will tell you that his horse had an excellent work and that the horse has never been better going into this race. Watch when this race is run only two horses will run just like last year and the other 18 will not run a lick.
myjockwon More than 1 year ago
what are they supposed to say my horse is training like s---t.
Eric More than 1 year ago
You are right, of course. That is why you listen only when a trainer says something negative, even if it is minor and is followed up by all the positives. Even when a normally super positive triner seems less excited can be a bad sign. A lot of that posturing if for the owner's who, between purchasing, training and travel, are paying hundred's of thouands of dollars for many of these horses. The last thing any trainer is going to do is badmouth the horse in public or print. Which is why I never listen to all of the good things a trainer mught say, but will bank on even the slightest negative comment.
Tom Mallios More than 1 year ago
mike i have to disagree on verrazanos work.without knowing who the 2 horses are.one would say authenticity buried VZ. in this work.he worked a little to hard for my tast.the rider on authenticity looked as though he was in a stranglehold waiting for verrazano to go by her.he couldn't.the work here is authenticity.do not know if she is scheduled to race on derby week.if she is,i know she is coming in razor sharp.
Eric More than 1 year ago
Is it my imagination or is everything Gary Stevens gets on lately turns out bad? I'm relatively indifferent to riders, but I'm to the point now where seeing Stevens on a horse I like will actually make me reconsider my choice.
Elaine Parkinson More than 1 year ago
You obviously missed Steven's ride on the #6 horse at Keeneland in Saturday's 6th race (Valentino Beauty) that paid $17.40 to win. I singled him in the Pick 5 and had 4 conso's and still made money on the bet ($24.00 profit). I didn't use Winning Cause or the #10... so "no excuses" from me. I went back and watched the replays and the horse looked like a monster winning his only two lfetime starts at Woodbine. Stevens certainly was the reason he won. Watch the ride he gave him... gutsy dive to the rail and through the only hole.
Eric More than 1 year ago
Maybe I'm still recovering from his ride on Oxbow.
Jeff Byrd More than 1 year ago
he made sunbean look worse than ever before
Perl More than 1 year ago
Authenticity will get pounded wherever she shows up. That's what often happens when Mike W touts a horse's work in this very public column.
Francisco Diaz More than 1 year ago
Tom, I didn't particularly like this workout , but what the heck , this is what JV taught him to do when he put him to sleep in the Wood, to wait for a cue , now as quick a learner as he is , V is doing just that . We'll see how this pans out. Trying to get the 1.25 miles one way or the other. Let him run his race , I truly think this horse can get there on sheer talent only .
DowneyProfile More than 1 year ago
Authenticity is being pointed to the Grade II LaTroienne on Kentucky Oaks day.
rsac56 More than 1 year ago
Maybe it was a gender thing. Put me behind a nice looking female and I might be reluctant to go by as well. Should have kept him with Discreet Dancer.
August Sams More than 1 year ago
She really is a nice looking mare; wonder when she is going to run against the boys. Verrazano has not looked good to me in his works recently, but does that mean anything???? not really only Derby day and the wire mean something.