04/09/2014 1:51PM

Kentucky Derby: Albano withdrawn from consideration

Email
Lou Hodges Jr./Hodges Photography
Albano, the winner of the Sugar Bowl Stakes in December, will not start in the Kentucky Derby.

Albano, who was placed fourth in the Louisiana Derby in his most recent start, will bypass the May 3 Kentucky Derby, according to his owner and breeder, Brereton C. Jones.

“He’s a May colt, and he’s getting better all the time,” Jones said Wednesday from his Airdrie Stud in Kentucky. “He ran well in the Louisiana Derby, getting bumped around, moved up to fourth after the disqualification. But we don’t think that’s a strong enough effort to go on to the Derby. If we had more time, or he was more mature, then maybe. He’ll be a graded stakes winner one day. But we don’t think the Derby is the time to try.”

Albano is trained by Larry Jones. Prior to the Louisiana Derby, Albano was second in the Risen Star Stakes and second in the Lecomte, both at Fair Grounds. In the Louisiana Derby, he finished fifth but was moved to fourth via disqualification because he was solidly bumped by In Trouble near the far turn. He will be based this summer at Delaware Park, Brereton C. Jones said.

The decision to skip the Derby has a significant impact in terms of the likely Derby field, since Albano was ranked 15th on the Derby points list with 34. His defection, combined with the withdrawal earlier this week of Toast of New York, helps horses who will end up on the bubble in terms of making the Derby field, which is capped at 20 runners.